GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

zvonexp

Passed Driver's Ed
I have few Discovery Pro mib 2.5 units.. one of them have much much louder sound than others.. probably something with adaptations ?

thMK7sw

Passed Driver's Ed
So.. This thread is awesome and has a ton of information, however, I am having trouble getting everything straight. I've read through the thread a half dozen times over the last few months trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it.

Does anyone know if there is a cleaner write-up that exists?

From my understanding here, Jack can remove component protection and fix the FEC's so that carplay/android auto works, correct? And there is no need to purchase a code, because he will include it in the price?

I want to get the Navigation unit and I have a fender system currently in my 2015 GSW TDI.

I need....
Control Unit for Glove box w/Nav
Screen/Receiver unit w/Nav
Trim piece (if I go for bigger than 6.5" screen)
Amplifier from 2016 or newer
USB port from 2016 or newer
CP removal/FEC's from Jack

Anyone confirm if I am missing anything here?

Thanks everyone!

teemmy

Ready to race!
So.. This thread is awesome and has a ton of information, however, I am having trouble getting everything straight. I've read through the thread a half dozen times over the last few months trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it.

Does anyone know if there is a cleaner write-up that exists?

From my understanding here, Jack can remove component protection and fix the FEC's so that carplay/android auto works, correct? And there is no need to purchase a code, because he will include it in the price?

I want to get the Navigation unit and I have a fender system currently in my 2015 GSW TDI.

I need....
Control Unit for Glove box w/Nav
Screen/Receiver unit w/Nav
Trim piece (if I go for bigger than 6.5" screen)
Amplifier from 2016 or newer
USB port from 2016 or newer
CP removal/FEC's from Jack

Anyone confirm if I am missing anything here?

Thanks everyone!

This sounds correct except you also need: vas 5054a ($70) to upload the coding that Jack does...

Does anyone have a vas 5054a that I could rent? people can start a rental thread similar to the helix dongle rental :)

thMK7sw

Passed Driver's Ed
This sounds correct except you also need: vas 5054a ($70) to upload the coding that Jack does...

Does anyone have a vas 5054a that I could rent? people can start a rental thread similar to the helix dongle rental :)

I would also be interested in renting one of these!

thMK7sw

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome. I will hit you up for that cable then.

On another note, does anyone have Jack’s current contact information and know how much he charges for the help?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Awesome. I will hit you up for that cable then.

On another note, does anyone have Jack’s current contact information and know how much he charges for the help?

Thanks!

PMed his info. Pricing may change depending on exchange rates, where he's purchasing the activation code, etc. He's also doing this on his own so could conceivably change the fee based on his available time and the relatively unique service he's providing. My experience, and everyone else that has shared, is that he's more than reasonable.

You will also need a GPS antenna. The dash mounted are reported to work just fine. Could also have the dealer check your VIN to see if you have a GPS shark fin already. My '15 Golf TDI S does have the proper antenna, although I didn't get a nav unit. Maps through App-Connect are very well integrated, they can run in the background while giving you voice nav even if you're not listening to music through App-Connect (CD, Sirius, radio, etc).
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

thMK7sw

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Cuzoe,

I got the PM and will reach out to Jack. I appreciate the advice on the gps antenna as well!

beechfront

first post.... I've searched through the thread... part number for MIB2 USB jack is all over the place (5G0035222E) but does anyone have a part number for the usb wiring harness?

Lots of them on ebay from China but I've always been leery of those.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
first post.... I've searched through the thread... part number for MIB2 USB jack is all over the place (5G0035222E) but does anyone have a part number for the usb wiring harness?

I'd recommend this cable. It is the second one I bought, the first one worked but was poor quality and I broke the cable after removing it too many times.

This new one is high quality - OEM like product. And it shipped pretty quickly considering it came from China (about 2 weeks).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hig...508.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5e184c4dQmOnec

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

The Aux In wiring is 6C1971327, and the USB socket wiring is 5G0971650AA - those part numbers aren't going to help you outside of a dealer though, because the two harnesses are typically sold by third parties as a single retrofit harness - VAG don't.

The USB socket wiring can also be found under the part numbers 4F1035750C and 8V0035750A.

Here's the output from ETKA:

beechfront

Looked and looked for those part numbers but as you said, no good. I ended up ordering the one suggested by KyACRASH. As long as the harness is good, that is main thing. Can easily replace the usb/aux port.

thanks for the help.

qnz

Car(s)
2015 Golf R, A35 AMG

Theres a few vas 5054a cables on ebay with ODIS 3.0.3 or 4.13, or 4.3, or 4.4. Which version is preferred?

It looks like Win7 is the newest OS that this software will run on?