GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project Red XIII: avenali312's OEM+ GTI

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Well, I didn't have to wait long to find out how the wax was working. It's supposed to rain for the next week...

lokerola

Ready to race!
So, I can't believe I forgot to post this, because it may be one of my favorite "mods" to date. I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to aesthetics, and when it comes to blatantly visible rust, there's no place for it in my life (other than the occasional wet rotors overnight haha).

While doing the spring install last year, I decided that I was going to tackle the issue of the rusting hubs (do people still call it the hat portion?). While the car was in the air and all the wheels were off, I followed these steps:

- Wire brushed off any current rust
- Covered my spacers in tape to use a mask for the face
- Cut out a cardboard template to mask off the rotor
- Taped off the caliper
- Sprayed the hub with matte black high temp paint (mostly because my spacers are also black)

Each hub got about 4 coats of paint and maybe took 20-30 minutes per corner.

No rust since and the job looks as good as it did the day I did it.

Look great! I might have to steal this idea.....

ryohei47

Ready to race!
Your car is looking good! i ended up getting my car taken in the dealership after you mentioned the "Service Vehicle Now" error and it was an easy fix, thanks for posting about it!

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Your car is looking good! i ended up getting my car taken in the dealership after you mentioned the "Service Vehicle Now" error and it was an easy fix, thanks for posting about it!

Sure thing! The more posts that mention it, the better! :)

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Another successful road trip from Atlanta to north central Pennsylvania. Zero issues with the car other than some road noise from the tires (probably cupped a bit). Highway average was somewhere around 37 mpg.

While there with access to a garage and my dad, we installed the Emmanuele Design reverse rake pads that lift the rear approximately 13/32". I still have to measure the difference, but optically, I think it's sitting exactly where I want it now.

The main reason for the pads was because of the added weight from the hitch, bike rack, and mountain bike. With everything loaded, I was sagging quite a bit in the rear. Now, I'm much happier with the look when everything is loaded up (and also unloaded).

Special thanks to Jay at Fas Tuning for the quick processing of my order!

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Well, I hit another epic pothole on the return trip from PA to GA a few weeks ago leading to another broken belt in the sidewall of a stock Pirelli (this one also caught the wheel a bit). Luckily, my tread has worn enough that I don't feel bad about replacing the whole set, so that's what I did...

Finally. I have been waiting for this day for a long time. After close to 30k miles with the horrendous Pirellia P-Zero Nero AS tires, they are gone. They were replaced with Continental DWS 06 in the stock size. New tires might be the best feeling ever; so quiet and smooth. Alignment is happening tomorrow to prevent future cupping and irregular wear.

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
Agreed the Nero AS were pretty bad but I like the Pzero AS plus a lot more, a little sharper feeling than the contis

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Agreed the Nero AS were pretty bad but I like the Pzero AS plus a lot more, a little sharper feeling than the contis

Yeah, even just pressing in on the sidewall with my thumb, I can feel the Contis are a bit more plush. But, with the roads around here, I'll take a little more forgiveness.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It's been a busy, but not really exciting, week for the GTI. New tires, 30k mile service, and an alignment. Feeling fresh :)