GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Log Comparison Thread

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Come on guys? Tuning is everything on today's cars. We have people paying 1000 for dp's and cat backs etc. Pretty much guarantee you a dp or catback is NOT going to determine a race. Tuning will... Lol....

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Now they surely are not worth that. Not with how reserve they are and the long response delays

There is nothing wrong with a reserved tune. However, the key is to pair it to a logic that suits the car. I for one love playing it safe. But it has to be accompanied with sound tuning logic that works with the platform. IE timing and AFR that isn't plain bad.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
That last log post looks like its on kill.

Ton of boost and timing at redline, forged internals are definitely getting a workout.

Perry01

Ready to race!

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
You guys do realize that an IS38 with a good tune is pushing 120mph and those aren't blowing up, right? The E30 tunes look to be around 115-116mph (I will venture to say). I think I could probably run 115 mph on one based on my 113.4mph trap on pump gas.

I don't think it is overkill. Definitely pushing the life of an IS20 though, but so are all the tunes.

Perry01

Ready to race!
You guys do realize that an IS38 with a good tune is pushing 120mph and those aren't blowing up, right? The E30 tunes look to be around 115-116mph (I will venture to say). I think I could probably run 115 mph on one based on my 113.4mph trap on pump gas.

I don't think it is overkill. Definitely pushing the life of an IS20 though, but so are all the tunes.

It's not all about the turbocharger. Yes, 20 PSI is at 6500 RPM is beyond the IS20's efficiency range and will likely reduce its longevity. It's also the 14° of timing advance that will stress the internals.

An IS38 will make more power up top with more volume and pressure. That's why they trap 120 MPH. I doubt that many tuners target 14° of timing advance on their IS38 tunes. They don't have to because the turbo is pushing more air into the engine.

Yes, an E85 mix will increase your octance and be more resistant to self ignition (knock) and raising this self ignition threshold enables tuners to increase ignition timing. This results in higher cylinder pressures (and more power) but more stress on your engine internals.

Like I said earlier, how much is too much?

5150 Racing

Ready to race!
Idk a stock Evo x on my dyno makes 240ish whp, weekly I tune them with turbos to 550-580whp.....
Stock motor, and have cars with tens of thousands of miles on these set up, some over 60k....

Even stock turbo x from 350-390whp.on e85

Feel free to add 15% to that for dynojet numbers......

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
It's not all about the turbocharger. Yes, 20 PSI is at 6500 RPM is beyond the IS20's efficiency range and will likely reduce its longevity. It's also the 14° of timing advance that will stress the internals.

An IS38 will make more power up top with more volume and pressure. That's why they trap 120 MPH. I doubt that many tuners target 14° of timing advance on their IS38 tunes. They don't have to because the turbo is pushing more air into the engine.

Yes, an E85 mix will increase your octance and be more resistant to self ignition (knock) and raising this self ignition threshold enables tuners to increase ignition timing. This results in higher cylinder pressures (and more power) but more stress on your engine internals.

Like I said earlier, how much is too much?

:D Yes, I already understand everything you mentioned.

My argument was that a properly tuned IS38 is harder on the internals (depending on curve) than an aggressive IS20 tune. The IS38 cars (knock on wood) are going strong. If knock values are non-existent (the voltages and subsequent IGN 1 changes, not the adaptation in cyl 1-4) and you respect the vehicle, you should get a long life out of it.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Well i have been on similar e30 tune for a while now close to 5k miles and no problems knock on wood. I belive the thing that will go will be the turbo before the engine.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Come on guys? Tuning is everything on today's cars. We have people paying 1000 for dp's and cat backs etc. Pretty much guarantee you a dp or catback is NOT going to determine a race. Tuning will... Lol....

While I will not knock any other tuner that has a tune that is more reserved, I will say that 5150 Tuning has been nothing but Top Notch with the maps they have been working with me on and comes highly recommended personally by me.

As Oldschoolmk7 has said, people will spend $400 dollars on an intake or catch can, but think $200 for a custom tune made for your car is outrageous.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Remember that APR flashes in some cases are ~$1k for Stage 2.

COBB AP + Protune is still cheaper by $150-$200 or so.