GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Stage 3 issues

Welp, I am getting fed up with this damn clutch kit. I had it installed in late november, everything was fine, i broke in the clutch and waited till 550-600 miles before i gave it a bootful. it was fine for a day or two, then i had an odd problem, in which while driving in first gear, pushing in the clutch did not release it. the rpms would hang, i would pull on the stick and it was the exact same as you would get from pulling it out of first without using the clutch. I then had to drive it again the next day about 100 miles. it did it again after coming off the autobahn, and also did it in second to my surprise. i did not expect that because second has syncros. i took it to the shop i had install it, they bled the line. it worked only for a little while.

i decided to contact BFI, they said bleed it, and if it does it again then take it off and send it back to them.

not much help.

i decided to try something a little non-conventional, and installed an ecs bleeder block, my thinking is not enough fluid was reaching the throwout bearing, because if you held the clutch in and it did not release, eventually it would.

installed the new bleeder block and noticed there was a lot of play from the line coming from the throwout bearing.

drove 100 miles, no issues, was really really happy. drove another 100 miles, it did it again.

i noticed the clutch has this issue when coming off the autobahn. if i drive it at highway speeds (or autobahn speeds) then i have this issue. it does it a couple times and then it begins to release as normal.

im wondering if heat is causing this, but also wondering if the throwout bearing is crap, especially with all the play on the line.

i am frustrated however, competition clutches has a solid rep amongst honda guys, and i used two of their stage two clutches in my dc5, and a lot of guys in the evo world like them a lot too, and considered them for my ix but i am putting down a lot of power and already had an exedy twin.

the gti is my daily, i have to drive long distances on the regular, i am in germany, and this is frustrating. i expect a damn clutch kit i paid 1k for to work flawlessly.

the shop i had do the work has a solid reputation, i highly doubt any installation errors are the culprit.

i know there isnt a lot of info on these clutches, so i figure i will put in my dos centavo's.

i already contacted BFI a second time informing them of what i was planning to do, i have yet to get a response from them. i am sure they are busy.

my plan is to take the car back to the shop, have them remove the tranny, (sigh, 650 euros, AGAIN!) and inspect the throwout bearing to see if its leaking or damaged. it would explain the clutch not releasing, but wouldnt explain why it does it only after autobahn runs.

kinda bummed and not very optimistic about this. i was really looking forward to using a product i felt comfortable with. i am hoping they can chime in and figure out what went wrong. if its the throwout bearing then whatever, shit happens, but if its their kit then i need them to figure out a way to get things fixed and back on the road asap, because being across the pond with issues sucks a nut.

i am currently running the eurodyne stage 2 93 oct high torque, and have a few bolt-ons as well (cts catless dp, cts intake, neuspeed hi-flo discharge pipe, 034 motorsports sbframe insert, cts turbo inlet elbow thing, and some other damn stuff i am forgetting, all of which dont really matter in this case.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
That sucks man. Keep us posted but I hope if it's the clutch, BFI takes care of you and makes it right

yeah i hope so too. weird thing is there is another guy on this forum that had the same problem, is still active, but has not mentioned it in his posts and has not responded to a pm i sent him. im wondering if he switched it out or it stopped

these damn clutches are really expensive, i could have bought two competition clutches with the flywheels for my former dc5 for what i paid for one for tis gti

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Should have turbo's the dc5 :D

Should have turbo's the dc5 :D

sigh....where to begin? that poor car fell under hard times when i was stationed in baumholder germany. i crashed into a gaurd rail on christmas eve with it. then it was one thing after another. 8 good years i had her. did a k24a2 swap and everything. my thread is still on clubrsx on the k24a2 swap.

i miss it and wish i could track it down one day when i have money to buy her back. otherwise i wouldnt mind building another one. i had to sell her because i was being med-boarded and had just bought my evo ix. couldnt afford to take back both, especially because the damn thing wasnt running.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Contamination in the fluid that compromised it's integrity when at higher Temps aka long fast highway driving?

Hell anyone's guess. Good luck with the investigation

GTIManEG

Ready to race!
I have the same kit wit the same bleeder and have the same problem. I know BFI support is poor, but still try to get help once and was blown off. Sucks because have many of their products on my car. Was just going to bite the bullet and get a real clutch kit. Looking at the HS Tuning kit that keeps the DMF. If you figure it out plz PM or update the thred. Thanks.

Last edited:

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Aside from the TOB being bad, I wonder if the disk is getting stuck on the splines for whatever reason so its not moving upon disengagement?

I was going to go with this kit myself but read too many stories and stuck with SRE.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I was gonna go with this clutch, but not looking so good now. SBC had similar issues on early mk6 clutches. Some where because the disk was mounted backwards, the rest were due to manufacturer defects (disk wasn't flat)

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Did you inspect (or have the shop inspect) the Rear main seal when the clutch was changed? Some of the clutch issues are caused by the seal leaking oil onto the assembly.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Damn man, sucks that you are having the same issue as that other guy, also sucks that you had to "take one for the team" essentially since that guy never responded back in that thread. I was definitely looking at getting this clutch but that post and now yours (plus BFI never commenting about the issues but they will bump their threads selling stuff all day *rollseyes*) I've decided against the BFI clutches; Southbend for me once I can afford to (will try to go LSD at same time..)

Hope you get it figured out!