GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch upgrade

btscott

Passed Driver's Ed
Wrong. RSR failure on this forum.

Found 1 post on the forum from 1 person that has a Golf R and running with the RSR. States he was getting some slippage. Okay... though not the widespread problem you make it sound like.

Not trying to make myself feel better about my purchase and good to know someone had trouble. However, all I can say is that I have had no problems and love the clutch. Running Eurodyne 1.5 HT and will go Stage 2 once car reaches 3/36.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Found 1 post on the forum from 1 person that has a Golf R and running with the RSR. States he was getting some slippage. Okay... though not the widespread problem you make it sound like.

Not trying to make myself feel better about my purchase and good to know someone had trouble. However, all I can say is that I have had no problems and love the clutch. Running Eurodyne 1.5 HT and will go Stage 2 once car reaches 3/36.

Where did I claim widespread problems? Not that many in here are running the RSR and one of them has already started to slip after about a year.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Search this forum next time, not google. LOL

RSR already slipping for some. I'll be getting one but only because I'm staying Stage 1, they're not holding long-term for Stage 2 power.

They new versions are rated at like 450+ power and they aren't holding? Link please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Please remember that some slipping clutch issues are due to the rear main seal leaking, and have nothing to do with a clutch manufacturing defect. It's best to identify the source of the problem!

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Please remember that some slipping clutch issues are due to the rear main seal leaking, and have nothing to do with a clutch manufacturing defect. It's best to identify the source of the problem!

How do you ensure it's not leaking?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
How do you ensure it's not leaking?

Pull off the clutch and check for leakage lol. You can only really inspection it well (unless horrible failure) when the clutch/flywheel is removed.

My CRX's original engine had a RMS leak. Luckily not bad enough to cause slippage, but I was already swapping the tranny and decided to do the clutch. Not until I removed the flywheel could I see early signs of failure

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
In his defense, he never said it was widespread, however it insinuated that's it's common. Even the one user himself says he didn't replace the DMFW so it may be that and if not on an IS38, it'd probably be fine

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
In his defense, he never said it was widespread, however it insinuated that's it's common. Even the one user himself says he didn't replace the DMFW so it may be that and if not on an IS38, it'd probably be fine

So what does one really need to do to ensure they only replace the clutch once. Replace all parts?

The SRE is only a clutch cover and reinforced clutch disc.

Seems like South Bend Daily 3, RSR, and 6GT are the only 'full' replacement options being talked about....SBD3 is SMF though.

I ask because I'm in the market for a new clutch and I want to do it sooner then later as my car currently only has 700 miles on it. It's not slipping and my car is completely stock by if I don't want to have to replace my DMSW as well so I would rather do the clutch now and retain my OEM DMF if I can. Opinion? Suggestions?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
If you do it early enough, I think you could get away with keeping the stock DMFW without replacing it. There is one guy on the TTRS clutch thread who kept his stock disc and only replaced the pressure plate (our only real weak component). So far it's holding well but too early for long term tests.

If I was to do it on even a year old clutch (10k+ miles or so) I'd replace the DMFW. Regardless, I would upgrade to the iABED RMS while doing it as well. This replaces the stock RMS with a reinforced piece.

Until I hear a SBD3 in person, my plan is an SRE. I'll be replacing my DMFW, ToB and RMS at the same time. Only 11k on the car but I don't want to have to pull the tranny again. I'd love to go SMFW but worry about the chatter lol. I don't mind, but the wife might ;)