GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch upgrade

alexnewman

So i made a thread the other day about he state of my clutch... Gsrage hasn't looked at it yet but based on driving they think it needs replacing, after 3 days with a courtesy car and then driving my gti again i also agree that the clutch isn't right, had a friend drive it who has said the same and the burning smell is still there after driving it. So unfortunately it looks like my clutch is going to be replaced...
The vw dealer have gave me a quote on the OEM parts, however, tuning my car to stage 1 is something i've been considering for a while and i know that with my car being a manual i'll need to upgrade my clutch... so a few questions for you all :)

1) Clutch upgrades? what's a good choice? i'll be supplying the parts myself to a local garage so any links (preferably uk but i can search myself for the uk counterpart) would be appreciated, preferably ones they can drop straight in, 8/ the golf r's an option?

2) "any tune will need a clutch replacement" would this statement be correct if i got a clutch before i tuned it that is capable of handling stage1?

3) any downsides of a more powerful clutch? i've heard about very high biting points and needing a very heavy foot, can someone help with this and provide any more negatives?

4) Positives of getting a better clutch regardless of whether or not i tune it

apologies for the questions it's been a stressful few weeks with the car and hoping you guys can give me better answers than the dealer

Cheers!!

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Have you taken the time to search all the clutch threads? I think most of your answers are there. If you want easy spoon fed answers I'm sure someone on here will oblige. Best of luck.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
So i made a thread the other day about he state of my clutch... Gsrage hasn't looked at it yet but based on driving they think it needs replacing, after 3 days with a courtesy car and then driving my gti again i also agree that the clutch isn't right, had a friend drive it who has said the same and the burning smell is still there after driving it. So unfortunately it looks like my clutch is going to be replaced...
The vw dealer have gave me a quote on the OEM parts, however, tuning my car to stage 1 is something i've been considering for a while and i know that with my car being a manual i'll need to upgrade my clutch... so a few questions for you all :)

1) Clutch upgrades? what's a good choice? i'll be supplying the parts myself to a local garage so any links (preferably uk but i can search myself for the uk counterpart) would be appreciated, preferably ones they can drop straight in, 8/ the golf r's an option

2) "any tune will need a clutch replacement" would this statement be correct if i got a clutch before i tuned it that is capable of handling stage1?

3) any downsides of a more powerful clutch? i've heard about very high biting points and needing a very heavy foot, can someone help with this and provide any more negatives?

4) Positives of getting a better clutch regardless of whether or not i tune it

apologies for the questions it's been a stressful few weeks with the car and hoping you guys can give me better answers than the dealer

Cheers!!

Check out the 6GT clutch from Haus of Dub:
https://shop.hausofdub.com/collections/clutch

Check out the how is your clutch surviving stage I tune here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13677

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The short answer is YES, eventually you will need a clutch if you tune with Stage I or higher. I'm not sure about piggyback tunes and I'm only just educating myself on that matter now so I have no info on that option to share.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Do it now - BFI Stage 2 Daily or RSR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexnewman

Have you taken the time to search all the clutch threads? I think most of your answers are there. If you want easy spoon fed answers I'm sure someone on here will oblige. Best of luck.

yep, i've searched through a lot. most of the ones i've found are DIY and require a lot of parts required from various locations many of which aren't in the UK, need to get this clutch fixed sooner than 5 week delivery as well as the fact many parts aren't available yet which is why i was aiming this more at a "drop in" replacement and something a dealer or garage could order if possible as well.
Doesn't help that i'm not at all technical when it comes to this which is why a nice explanation would be good for someone like me and again i can just trust the garage with the parts :)

I'm not being lazy at all, I feel my justifications for asking were valid :)

alexnewman

The short answer is YES, eventually you will need a clutch if you tune with Stage I or higher. I'm not sure about piggyback tunes and I'm only just educating myself on that matter now so I have no info on that option to share.

even if i replaced the clutch to a better one now then that one would still need replacing?

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
even if i replaced the clutch to a better one now then that one would still need replacing?

I believe the 6GT is basically a 'copy' of the clutch that comes in the TTRS, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

How much power are you planning on? The 6GT and any of the replacement clutches being used by forum members are holding up just fine.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
There are plenty of threads about this if you search. Particularly the DIY RSR/TT-RS kit. There's also an upgraded sachs disc and pressure plate sold through emmanuele design if you want to retain the dual mass flywheel. If you're slipping or burning the clutch that badly all the time, you'll either need a resurface or a replacement flywheel though.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
6GT, TTRS, or SRE are all great options if you want to retain DMF. If you don't care, then you go South Bend or BFI, but expect chatter.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
love hearing the lightweight flywheels spin up.....

FrankTheBunny

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure how hard it is to get the RSR Clutch across the pond, but I'm loving mine.

It bit higher up at first, but within 100-200 miles it was back pretty close to stock.

I have read others say it's a little stiffer than stock, but after maybe 50-100 miles, I couldn't tell the difference.

Also, zero chatter for me so far (put it on at 10k, at 12k now), that was the main reason I decided to stick with a DMF clutch.