GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I was worried.
But, I have none of the seven.
I must be good.

gti jake must like cosmetic mods. None in the top seven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zech912

Ready to race!
the one that surprises me is the catch can. even if one considers it inevitable that there will eventually be carbon cleaning required, why not limit and delay it? This is not a rhetorical question, genuinely wondering why the cc is not worth it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I was worried.
But, I have none of the seven.
I must be good.

gti jake must like cosmetic mods. None in the top seven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This thread is for “performance” mods only.

I personally have some in the list, most people do. This was written the same week as someone else wrote one listing the best bang for your buck, so this is basically the worst bang for your buck.

Again, nothing to do with cosmetics or anything unrelated to engine performance

the one that surprises me is the catch can. even if one considers it inevitable that there will eventually be carbon cleaning required, why not limit and delay it? This is not a rhetorical question, genuinely wondering why the cc is not worth it.

They don’t make a difference on a daily driver, an empty can isn’t helping anything

On a mk5 or mk6 you’d empty it every oil change or more. Not the case with our improvements to the Pcv system

The exception is track driven/raced cars on race compound tires. They hold high enough Gs to overcome the stock PCV system and force oil excessively into the intake

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
On a mk5 or mk6 you’d empty it every oil change or more.
I can confirm this statement as I needed to empty out my catch can on my MK5 GTI almost on a weekly basis in the winter otherwise the water in the can would freeze and cause a blockage in airflow [emoji51]. Summer time not so much.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Good thread that I've managed to miss until now. My complete list of mods is in my sig. I consider it more or less the logical stopping point for a "GTI+" experience. But, I do like buying farkles and faffing around with tools so it does take willpower to not waste money. This list helps reinforce what I mostly already knew. The only one I'd been on the fence about is a TIP.

I'm also holding up on downpipe because that's going to lead to full blown stage2itis (and beyond) pretty quick.

I'm also not especially interested in cosmetic or sound mods. So... Yea...

I have a dictionary perfect example of a first world problem; I've run out of reasonable ways to use disposable income.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Good thread that I've managed to miss until now. My complete list of mods is in my sig. I consider it more or less the logical stopping point for a "GTI+" experience. But, I do like buying farkles and faffing around with tools so it does take willpower to not waste money. This list helps reinforce what I mostly already knew. The only one I'd been on the fence about is a TIP.

I'm also holding up on downpipe because that's going to lead to full blown stage2itis (and beyond) pretty quick.

I'm also not especially interested in cosmetic or sound mods. So... Yea...

I have a dictionary perfect example of a first world problem; I've run out of reasonable ways to use disposable income.

Yeah a downpipe and stage 2 is the next step, you’re already tuned and took care of the intercooler so why not? Not that stage 1 isn’t fun, it completely transforms the car as do proper summer tires

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Jake

Input on actual ROI on Eurocode chassis bars (front and rear strut bar).

I'm not changing up OEM suspension on this ride....had every kind under the sun on previous VWs (Vogtlands to V2), so this won't be in combination with any shock/spring combo (I tell myself that now).

What's your take?

Crackness1

Ready to race!
Some time ago I had a downpipe installed. That is probably going to be the biggest waste of money right now...

...because my manual transmission clutch is now slipping even more and I am even more compelled to spend more money on a clutch (especially to enjoy the added power from the downpipe :D

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake

Input on actual ROI on Eurocode chassis bars (front and rear strut bar).

I'm not changing up OEM suspension on this ride....had every kind under the sun on previous VWs (Vogtlands to V2), so this won't be in combination with any shock/spring combo (I tell myself that now).

What's your take?

I don’t think you’d notice or benefit without sticky tires, a drop, and sway bars

Some time ago I had a downpipe installed. That is probably going to be the biggest waste of money right now...

...because my manual transmission clutch is now slipping even more and I am even more compelled to spend more money on a clutch (especially to enjoy the added power from the downpipe :D

That’s a good problem to have haha

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Yeah a downpipe and stage 2 is the next step, you’re already tuned and took care of the intercooler so why not? Not that stage 1 isn’t fun, it completely transforms the car as do proper summer tires

It's like being seduced by the devil himself. Cmon, we both know where that dp will come from when I give in. Let me have some illusion of self control for a while. I've had the car all of 3 months. Waited two entire weeks before starting in on it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It's like being seduced by the devil himself. Cmon, we both know where that dp will come from when I give in. Let me have some illusion of self control for a while. I've had the car all of 3 months. Waited two entire weeks before starting in on it.

Well that escalated quickly haha, nothing wrong with spreading it out my mods have been few and far between on this car.

Back in the day I’d order coilovers before taking delivery of new cars haha. My wife frowns on those kinds of shenanigans now

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Well that escalated quickly haha, nothing wrong with spreading it out my mods have been few and far between on this car.

Back in the day I’d order coilovers before taking delivery of new cars haha. My wife frowns on those kinds of shenanigans now

not nearly as quickly as our friend eventhorizon

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I bought the APR rear windshield wiper delete the other day, should be arriving today or tomorrow. Really the peak of paying to make a car functionally worse, but I think it looks so much cleaner. Just hoping I don’t somehow mess up the install.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

I knew I'd be personalizing it while still shopping so I know that feels. I've driven stick only but never had a fwd before. Still learning how to amuse myself in it as is. Some fun roads right outside. There's nightly deserted roundabouts right for all kinds of lift off hilarity. And this city keeps the roads in great condition.

I catch myself going too fast in straight lines as it is... For now. It's so nice and nimble feeling. Love it.

Anyhoo, whenever the time of complacency with stage 1 gets here, you'll know right quick. Tires are absolutely before that, as soon as the brand new semi junk that came with it wear at all :(

Cheers.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I knew I'd be personalizing it while still shopping so I know that feels. I've driven stick only but never had a fwd before. Still learning how to amuse myself in it as is. Some fun roads right outside. There's nightly deserted roundabouts right for all kinds of lift off hilarity. And this city keeps the roads in great condition.

I catch myself going too fast in straight lines as it is... For now. It's so nice and nimble feeling. Love it.

Anyhoo, whenever the time of complacency with stage 1 gets here, you'll know right quick. Tires are absolutely before that, as soon as the brand new semi junk that came with it wear at all :(

Cheers.

Wearing mine out took 30k miles, surprisingly I’m at 36k on my fire hawks so I guess that means I need a more fun route to work lol. Our roads are nice but pretty straight and flat