GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
View attachment 29202

I see a boost sawtooth effect when trying to add any boost on top of the IS20 APR 93 tune when I run E20 or higher...

APR has no answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much additional boost?

Each car is a little different. +3psi over APR's IS38 tune is fine with race fuel, anything over that caused surging. Meanwhile, someone with the same setup as me plus meth was able to add 6psi without an issue.

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
1-1.5 psi is all it took at blends >E20. If I stay at E15-E17, I get a tolerable “ripple” in boost control. Adjustments.JPG

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
I even got the saw tooth with no added boost. No issues running E25 on maestro. The logs do show the hpfp can't keep up though. I suppose I could start making an ethanol map with leaner fueling. I cut my ethanol content down to 20 from 25. Didn't get a chance to log.

What APR tune were you running to get the sawtooth?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I would like to reduce boost taper once I install the hybrid IS20 and run E30 which may mean running just the JB4...

Get rid of the APR tune. It doesn't like ethanol. Hehe. And as I showed up top, the HPFP doesn't love ethanol either. Haha.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Will JB4 as a stand-alone work with a hybrid IS20?

Sure, won't be optimal but it will work. We have at least one guy here running a IS38 with just the JB4. You won't be able to run the turbo to its full potential but it should still be fun.

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
Sure, won't be optimal but it will work. We have at least one guy here running a IS38 with just the JB4. You won't be able to run the turbo to its full potential but it should still be fun.

Well, that sounds like my plan. Do others running APR IS38 software and stacking run into this issue, or is it an IS20 APR software issue?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Well, that sounds like my plan. Do others running APR IS38 software and stacking run into this issue, or is it an IS20 APR software issue?

Twindad says there are others with this problem. The ethanol quality also may play a role. The station I used is apparently very high in E content (80 percent). That would likely make the problem worse if it's fueling related. If someone station had a lower E content they could be running "E30" but it's not actually 30 percent.

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
Twindad says there are others with this problem. The ethanol quality also may play a role. The station I used is apparently very high in E content (80 percent). That would likely make the problem worse if it's fueling related. If someone station had a lower E content they could be running "E30" but it's not actually 30 percent.

I sample the fuel right before I pump it so I know the exact concentration. *engineer* lol