Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
Interested in a JB4.
Since my car is getting up there in age (~38K) & was a 2015 intro year car, not sure if flash would be healthy for it.

Questions are:
1) any downside to getting a used one?
2) Pro's of a data cable vs. Bluetooth?

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Interested in a JB4.
Since my car is getting up there in age (~38K) & was a 2015 intro year car, not sure if flash would be healthy for it.

Questions are:

1) Not really. I bought one used and it was a great deal.
2) Only pro of the data cable would be knowing you had a solid connection to the unit at all times. But you have to have a laptop or tablet hardwired to it. I have never had connection issues through bluetooth on my JB4.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Interested in a JB4.

Questions are:

Where are you located? I might be selling mine since my car is going to be stored for a while and I’m planning on flashing in the future.
My car is an early built 6/14 and I have 34k now with first JB1 then JB4 since around 10k without issues. Worth saying that I don’t beat on the car .....much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dorkultra

i'm wondering what most people's use of the JB4 is, like do they plan on leaving it attached for years, or saving up for an APR tune? I guess there are many factors like lease vs owning car, it would make most sense over flashing.

i'm wondering more about longevity of the JB4 and my engine. I've only seen a couple of people post that they've had it attached for several years

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
i'm wondering what most people's use of the JB4 is, like do they plan on leaving it attached for years, or saving up for an APR tune? I guess there are many factors like lease vs owning car, it would make most sense over flashing.

i'm wondering more about longevity of the JB4 and my engine. I've only seen a couple of people post that they've had it attached for several years

I had mine on the car for 35k miles without ever taking it off. I only moved on to flash tunes for better control of fuel.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
I plan on running it a few more years. Originally purchased JB1 in late 2015 and then upgraded to JB4. The only long term issue in hot weather is the wire harness loom crumbling into little bits over time. I'd purchase a new harness, if offered, for peace of mind. Autotune would be a nice upgrade for the weather changes, unless I've missed something along the way.

Pirate

Ready to race!
Alright guys, I did what I didn't think I would ever do. I uninstalled the JB4, switching over to a protune. The brilliant piggyback tune said it's final good bye's by giving me a full fledged double f*ck you in the form of an EPC and CEL. Drove the car around a bit, it doesn't feel like it's boosting, if it is it's in limp mode.

It feels very boggy, and once I turned it off there was a ticking sound that was coming from the turbo area. The sound went away once the car was locked.

Any ideas? I double and triple checked that all of the plugs were sealed tight. Except for the dreaded last plug all the way near the charge pipe, which is taped together currently.

jibbajoe

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright guys, I did what I didn't think I would ever do. I uninstalled the JB4, switching over to a protune. The brilliant piggyback tune said it's final good bye's by giving me a full fledged double f*ck you in the form of an EPC and CEL. Drove the car around a bit, it doesn't feel like it's boosting, if it is it's in limp mode.

It feels very boggy, and once I turned it off there was a ticking sound that was coming from the turbo area. The sound went away once the car was locked.

Any ideas? I double and triple checked that all of the plugs were sealed tight. Except for the dreaded last plug all the way near the charge pipe, which is taped together currently.

Have you logged anything or reached out to George? I had EPC and CEL lights and it ran like shit until i updated the firmware then it ran like a dream.

also that ticking sounds normal. The car makes all sorts of wacky noises after turning it off as its circulating fluids around the turbo to cool it off after running.

afman916

Ready to race!
Finally got around to installing my JB4 over the weekend, but have been noticing all week that I'm not getting above 18-19psi at any point. I bought it used last winter(took me long enough!), so I figured there was a firmware update to do, so I did that, then reconnected and set to Map 2 as I had done last weekend.

Took it out on a back road and gave it a good hammer from a 40 roll in 3rd just to see where I'd peak on my boost gauge (New South). Spiked to roughly 25 or so and I thought "hmmm that's high for Map 2, no?" so checked the interface and I had defaulted back to Map 4. Pulled into a parking lot, set it to Map 1, same thing on same stretch, nearly same result in terms of psi and again defaulted back to Map 4.

Went home, pulled these codes, and here I am:
431A
3AE0

MAPerformance catted downpipe, CTS TIP, drop in filter, and 93 gas. Didn't bother logging because I was just going to do a quick mash of the gas or two to see where psi ended up. Will log properly this weekend but thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas in the meantime. Will check AFR wire and plugs as well, but I triple checked them during install and really don't think that's the issue. Any help would be great, thanks guys!