surfwagon

Ready to race!
Last edited:

B95zP

Ready to race!
It sure does.....

DIY?

:eek:

Yes. Build quality and parts are all top notch. I bought a nutsert tool and extra nusterts from McMillan(IIRC). Bolts, if needed, you can find at a local Ace.

Tho if I could do it again I'd probably start with Eurocode's bar. One of the 4 anchor nutsterts is lightly off which makes it a little bit of a PITA to screw down.

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
Yes. Build quality and parts are all top notch. I bought a nutsert tool and extra nusterts from McMillan(IIRC). Bolts, if needed, you can find at a local Ace.

Tho if I could do it again I'd probably start with Eurocode's bar. One of the 4 anchor nutsterts is lightly off which makes it a little bit of a PITA to screw down.
Those tools and nutserts are kinda cool fasteners. I've used them on a few motorcycle applications.

I was looking at the XBrace a while back, but it seemed a little too labor intensive and possibly obstrusive if trying to carry larger cargo. :(
Thus I opted for the ECode bars....

surfwagon

Ready to race!
I'm looking at both the Eurocode as well as the Unibrace. I like that the Unibrace is a 4 point. The Eurobrace is only a 2 point.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Will most people even see the benefit of such a brace in everyday spirited driving or only on the track when the car is getting pushed to the limit? Never had a brace on any of my cars so wondering how big an impact it will have.

Looks nice though.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Will most people even see the benefit of such a brace in everyday spirited driving or only on the track when the car is getting pushed to the limit? Never had a brace on any of my cars so wondering how big an impact it will have.

Looks nice though.

I have an Ecode brace on order and can report back when it's installed. But on my MK6, the Xbrace (Unibrace XB) made a huge impact on the rear end feel every time I cranked the wheel. I paired it with the 24mm H&R rear bar. When removing the xbrace, I definitely felt the lack of directness. I know that the MQB chassis is stiffer, but it's still a hatchback.

The UB (underbody) also made a difference, but not nearly as much as the XB.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I have an Ecode brace on order and can report back when it's installed. But on my MK6, the Xbrace (Unibrace XB) made a huge impact on the rear end feel every time I cranked the wheel. I paired it with the 24mm H&R rear bar. When removing the xbrace, I definitely felt the lack of directness. I know that the MQB chassis is stiffer, but it's still a hatchback.

The UB (underbody) also made a difference, but not nearly as much as the XB.

Thanks for the insight. Would love to hear an update when you get this put on.

davidk1175

Ready to race!
The MK6 had a weak rear chassis and needed the XB, I had one in my MK6 as well. Structural I have not felt the sway in this chassis that I felt in my MK6 stock. My MK7 is still stock with less than 700 miles on it. I have not been WOT on the car because of break in.

Some one convince me why this is needed on the MK7?

I understand why the MK6 needed it. I had the tunnel channel and the rear frame stabilizer frames. My MK6 was so stiff I could jack the right front corner and the rear would stay level. But my chassis began to creak and groan after 20k miles with both braces on as a trade off.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
The MK6 had a weak rear chassis and needed the XB, I had one in my MK6 as well. Structural I have not felt the sway in this chassis that I felt in my MK6 stock. My MK7 is still stock with less than 700 miles on it. I have not been WOT on the car because of break in.

Some one convince me why this is needed on the MK7?

I understand why the MK6 needed it. I had the tunnel channel and the rear frame stabilizer frames. My MK6 was so stiff I could jack the right front corner and the rear would stay level. But my chassis began to creak and groan after 20k miles with both braces on as a trade off.

If you were experiencing creaking in the rear due to the XB, that is most likely due to it not being fully secured. I had the same issue and was solved by Loctite and a re-torque. Really not sure why you'd have noise from the underbody if it was also fully torqued.

Food for thought: VW thought it was necessary to brace the rear on the Clubsport S, it's something to consider. They're not really known for frivolous mods -- especially on their performance models. Aside from that, if you like the way the car feels, there's no need to be convinced that you need to modify it. Right?

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
I don't think it is a strut brace. it appears to attach to the rear seat upper locking bar (undo your rear seat and you will see the small bar). I think its a cosmetic piece to support the net. imo