GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to get the best deal on a new R?

Mahojda80

Ready to race!
I drove almost 3 hrs to go get mine & I got it for MSRP $38,500 MT, DCC & Nav. The pickier you are the harder it's gonna be to get a good deal. Cars.com is a pretty good resource.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Offer handjobs for life (it's only gay if you make eye contact).

But seriously, use the internet and be prepared to NOT buy one. I got lucky and got one at my local dealer during the $2000 rebate, and they knocked a few hundred more off (there are about 6 or 7 dealers in the Houston area, so they all compete with each other).

big residual

Passed Driver's Ed
I used the full inventory list on vortex. Filter for the vehicles that match your spec. Start calling/emailing. Just ask, what's the price off the lot and get everyone's story. The jokers who are adding $5K premiums aren't worth your time. Find someone close to MSRP and negotiate from there. I got mine from a great dealer in Illinois for MSRP. Cost me $800 to have it shipped to the west coast, but I wasn't getting the exact spec on a MY16 otherwise. Might be easier now since the packages are more simplified. You can probably pay less, but this was a low hassle approach that I was happy with.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
You might want to check Lawrence Hall Volkswagen in Abilene. They sold their Rs for invoice last year. They did not give me a good offer on my 08 R32 so I sold it myself.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Good luck getting a '16.

In my area, only '17s are available now, and since VW dropped the base R, the minimum buy-in for a 2017 R is now $4k more than the 2016 base R.

Makes it an even harder pill to swallow for the upgrade

buyingconstant7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI 3 Door 6spd
I got mine below sticker price. Don't know how the hell I managed that since surrounding dealers were wanting 5k above MSRP. Go onto cars.com and you'll see what MSRP is for your spec'd out car. Make them that offer and take it from there. If you don't mind spending a tiny bit over sticker, do it. But don't pay anything over 2 grand over sticker...

rsw81

I got mine $550 off MSRP with first two services included. Easier if you pit a few dealerships against each other and be willing to walk away. Being flexible on color helps too.

Mine is Lapiz blue, manual trans, DCC.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Most dealers using mark-ups will wave them if you're serious about buying and let them know the mark-up is in the way. I got mine for MSRP with a few free goodies from VW, so I guess I got a little discount if you want to call it that.

jp03191

Passed Driver's Ed
Have a well developed relationship with your dealership, buy too many cars from them. Oh wait is that just me? My dealer found me my MY17 R, I paid MSRP - about $500 plus tax tags and title. Now I just need to get this TDI buy back sorted out before I owe two car payments...

Got-Boost?

Passed Driver's Ed
It's easy, just email a bunch of dealers with the options/color you are looking for in stock and tell them you want to buy the car today for INVOICE price and not a penny more. No reason to pay sticker on any of these cars.