GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire advice on 18x8.5 rim

pistolpeete

I just got my new aftermarket rims in and I was going to order my tires but I’m stuck on keeping the factory 225/40/18 or go with a 235/40/18. I was told that the 225 will give me a little bit of a stretch and that it will give me a little more wheel traction as there would be less flex in the sidewall, is that true.

But I was also told that if I went with the 235 that I would get more of a contact area and get a little more sidewall height.
I currently have Bilstein coilovers so I can adjust the height but I do like where I’m sitting right now. I guess I’m asking if anyone out there as any experience with this same dilemma and which direction they went and why, your thoughts and help would be great appreciated.

What offset are those wheels?

225/40 R18 for ET35 or ET40.
235/40 R18 for ET45 to ET50.

Or something like this, since you don't want rubbing.

Anyway, major point isn't width but which tire. Since
you live in SoCal get Michelin PSS for both best feel
and traction.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
245 35 18. but selection is not good.

beers

+1

Get the widest tire you can on the car. The 245/35 has a lower rolling diameter so you can actually fit it on your car.

njavier03

Ready to race!
i just had the stock tires mounted on my new VMRs and there is a bit of a stretch. it doesnt look bad IMO, but i will be going with 235 40 once its time for new tires. i only have 15k miles on the tires and didnt feel the need to change them yet.

DanJoy

Ready to race!
I have 225/40/18's on my 18 X 8.5 ET45's and they do stretch a little but nothing stance life-ish. Next time around I'd get the 235's though.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Last edited:

pistolpeete

235/40R18.
What wheels did you get?
Stock are 7.5 I think.
Why did you jump to 8.5?
8 would have worked on 235 tires.

I got the Rotiform SPF while I save up for BBS LMs. I went with the 8.5 as I am trying to get more tire on the wheel for hopefully a better contact patch. I frequently go for some spirited drives on the weekend.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I got the Rotiform SPF while I save up for BBS LMs. I went with the 8.5 as I am trying to get more tire on the wheel for hopefully a better contact patch. I frequently go for some spirited drives on the weekend.

I would for sure do 235 then.
245 fits the wheels but others mention some rub but how much depends.

pistolpeete

What offset are those wheels?

225/40 R18 for ET35 or ET40.
235/40 R18 for ET45 to ET50.

Or something like this, since you don't want rubbing.

Anyway, major point isn't width but which tire. Since
you live in SoCal get Michelin PSS for both best feel
and traction.

They are ET45 and yes I am going with the Michelin PSS. Thank you very much for the advice.

pistolpeete

i just had the stock tires mounted on my new VMRs and there is a bit of a stretch. it doesnt look bad IMO, but i will be going with 235 40 once its time for new tires. i only have 15k miles on the tires and didnt feel the need to change them yet.

Got cha...how's it feel with the newer rims on your car? Yeah looks like i'm going with the 235/40. Thanks for the feedback!