GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Johaan

Ready to race!
Same here so apparently they're all the same. One stupid thing about mine is that it doesn't beep if you get too close to something but I've got cross traffic alert that beeps.

No beeps either, no frills camera.

Even my wife’s 9 year old Kia beeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand VW blindspot monitoring either. Most have an audible alert if you turn on a turn signal and there's a car in the blindspot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Same here so apparently they're all the same. One stupid thing about mine is that it doesn't beep if you get too close to something but I've got cross traffic alert that beeps.

How’s your volume set? It should be, front and back sensors...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
^^^^
There's nothing in there for the blind spot monitoring. Just the light on the mirror. No audible warning.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
^^^^
There's nothing in there for the blind spot monitoring. Just the light on the mirror. No audible warning.

I thought your comment about no beeps when too close to something was in relation to parking.

Ya I agree that a beep / steering wheel buzz warning for BSM would be nice.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I thought your comment about no beeps when too close to something was in relation to parking.

Ya I agree that a beep / steering wheel buzz warning for BSM would be nice.

Yes that was another post. Mine does not beep when backing up and get too close to something. Only the cross traffic alert beeps.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just changed out pads today. Been delaying it because have a BBK that needs to go on, but need some different I.e. Wider wheels to fit and just haven't had time to deal with buying and selling etc. Also don't want to go the spacer route unless it's final option.

Anyway. On to the question.
My passenger side pads were worn down to nothing, but driver's side were still decent. Why would that happen?

Attachments

• img20190908_213508.jpg
    img20190908_213508.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 381
  • img20190908_213437.jpg
    img20190908_213437.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 373

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Just changed out pads today. Been delaying it because have a BBK that needs to go on, but need some different I.e. Wider wheels to fit and just haven't had time to deal with buying and selling etc. Also don't want to go the spacer route unless it's final option.

Anyway. On to the question.
My passenger side pads were worn down to nothing, but driver's side were still decent. Why would that happen?

Fair warning, this is 100% speculation but I do have 2 guesses.

1. Air trapped in a brake line causing uneven pressure between the sides

2. Something to do with the XDS. You likely make more right turns than left, so your passenger wheel is on the inside of the turn and the XDS system is braking it to get power to the outside, gripping wheel.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Fair warning, this is 100% speculation but I do have 2 guesses.

1. Air trapped in a brake line causing uneven pressure between the sides

2. Something to do with the XDS. You likely make more right turns than left, so your passenger wheel is on the inside of the turn and the XDS system is braking it to get power to the outside, gripping wheel.

I was thinking the 2nd one might be the case although not sure if I tend to take more right turns than left. Could it also be because driver sits on left side, so more weight I.e. Better traction on that side, so passenger side is being braked more?

I might have to bleed the system again, although pedal doesn't feel spongy or anything

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Where are those settings located? I haven't seen them on my 18 SE. Is it certain years/trims only?

Mines a 2016 Performance (top line full load Canadian model). Settings are under Car - Setup - Parking (if I recall correctly).

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Mines a 2016 Performance (top line full load Canadian model). Settings are under Car - Setup - Parking (if I recall correctly).

Oh maybe that would only be in the US Autobahn trim then or if the driver assistance package was added on.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Oh maybe that would only be in the US Autobahn trim then or if the driver assistance package was added on.

Could be. But if you have parking sensors, then I’d assume that you have the ability to set their volume in the infotainment menus.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion

I had some fun blasting around the backroads of Western MA last night behind one of these. My car is bone stock except for wheels and tires, so he could have dumped me like a hot rock anytime he wanted to. In the twisty stuff though, when he gassed it a bit I was right with him.

So what kind of GTI build would it take to actually run with a car like this?