GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

FactoryMatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Why the FFF does the gas cap rub the paint when you put it in that little hole on the cap door?

what am i doing wrong?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Why the FFF does the gas cap rub the paint when you put it in that little hole on the cap door?

what am i doing wrong?

Never had that problem, either you're doing it wrong or they fked up the design on the 7.5's. Can you post a pic?

FactoryMatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Never had that problem, either you're doing it wrong or they fked up the design on the 7.5's. Can you post a pic?

yea i will this evening.

manual says: Unscrew the fuel cap counterclockwise and remove. Use the slot on the fuel filler flap hinge ⇒ Fig. 156  to hold the cap while refueling.

-it basically makes contact with the qtr panel because the fuel door opens too far

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit

what am i doing wrong?

When the gas cap is in the hole, it is damn close to the body on my '19. Maybe the door does not open wide enough.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Has anyone else noticed their rotor rusting to the brake pads after a wash? I think that's what's going on at least. Its happened twice now, and each time it was the morning after a wash, when I go start accelerate there's a tiny bit of resistance followed by a little POP. I guess I should go for a little spin after I wash it.

I've never worried about the surface rust on my rotors before, but I've never had anything like this happen to my older VWs.

cb1111

Has anyone else noticed their rotor rusting to the brake pads after a wash? I think that's what's going on at least. Its happened twice now, and each time it was the morning after a wash, when I go start accelerate there's a tiny bit of resistance followed by a little POP. I guess I should go for a little spin after I wash it.

I've never worried about the surface rust on my rotors before, but I've never had anything like this happen to my older VWs.
Sure. That's normal.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

Rust part sounds normal but I'm not sure what you mean with the pop part. But I also drive around right after washing and drying. I also usually speed up to 60 or so and then brake heavily to a near stop to 'clean' the rotors.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Rust part sounds normal but I'm not sure what you mean with the pop part. But I also drive around right after washing and drying. I also usually speed up to 60 or so and then brake heavily to a near stop to 'clean' the rotors.

You can actually hear it break loose, it's like a metal on metal pop noise. I can feel it breaking loose too, there's a slight resistance but then it pops right away. It almost seems like it's coming from the back right, so I'm not sure if it's the electronic e-brake getting stuck or something like that. I almost thought I hit something the first time it happened.

It's not so much the rust I'm worried about. I know that's normal, but it's almost like the rust is making the pads stick to the rotors, or it's making my e-brake stick, and that I'm not used to.

It's happened twice and both times was after a car wash, and both times I let it sit in the garage over night without going for a drive to get the rotors dry or anything like that. I've never had anything like that happen to me before, but the R has bigger brakes than what I'm used to and an electric e-brake so maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
You can actually hear it break loose, it's like a metal on metal pop noise. I can feel it breaking loose too, there's a slight resistance but then it pops right away. It almost seems like it's coming from the back right, so I'm not sure if it's the electronic e-brake getting stuck or something like that. I almost thought I hit something the first time it happened.

It's not so much the rust I'm worried about. I know that's normal, but it's almost like the rust is making the pads stick to the rotors, or it's making my e-brake stick, and that I'm not used to.

It's happened twice and both times was after a car wash, and both times I let it sit in the garage over night without going for a drive to get the rotors dry or anything like that. I've never had anything like that happen to me before, but the R has bigger brakes than what I'm used to and an electric e-brake so maybe that has something to do with it.

Next time you wash it take it for a drive and try what I said about the heavy braking

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Got trans fluid, need to install, watched vid seems simple.... only issue is that, car needs to be level, any ideas. I have 2 jacks and ramps but not looking to do a wild rig. Not sure if i can install myself, don’t have a lift guess I need one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Got trans fluid, need to install, watched vid seems simple.... only issue is that, car needs to be level, any ideas. I have 2 jacks and ramps but not looking to do a wild rig. Not sure if i can install myself, don’t have a lift guess I need one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did mine all on rocks on jack stands. Could get by with the ramps and jack stands i would imagine. It's fairly simple since i did the fill through the filter. Mines a dsg, i don't see teh manual being much different

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

I don't hear any popping but my brakes seem kinda noisy for a few days after a good wash. I think I'm going to try what another poster suggested and drive around after washes to dry them out better.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

This phenomenon is normal and depends on the type surface coating used in this rotor. You can see a thin layer of rust early in the morning or after rain and will go away with a couple of brake applies.