GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
How do you get the jack stand to sit in the correct spit by the arrow? When i jack it up, i tried to get it there but my jack is like 8 inches wide or something so i cant get the stand there. Tried other spots near it and it seems super shady, i did just watch the part near the reinforced part bend a lot so i put the car back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
How do you get the jack stand to sit in the correct spit by the arrow? When i jack it up, i tried to get it there but my jack is like 8 inches wide or something so i cant get the stand there. Tried other spots near it and it seems super shady, i did just watch the part near the reinforced part bend a lot so i put the car back down.

Not sure what you mean by "spit(spot?) by the arrow". The manual is pretty clear on where the reinforced jack points are. You can tell by looking there that the metal is reinforced at that spot. You can also use a spot on the subframe but I'm not exactly sure where. Hope you don't mean you bent the metal running under the door frame already.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Not sure what you mean by "spit(spot?) by the arrow". The manual is pretty clear on where the reinforced jack points are. You can tell by looking there that the metal is reinforced at that spot. You can also use a spot on the subframe but I'm not exactly sure where. Hope you don't mean you bent the metal running under the door frame already.

Sorry i never read before i post, spelling errors. What i mean is, i know where the reinforced spots are, next to the arrow ect. I have 2 jack stands i would like to put the back up but, my low profile jack is wide. Say i use the jack point with the jack, i cannot get the stand on that side on the jack point since its jacked up there. The jack point is like 5 inches long and while jacked up stand cant get close

hallu

Passed Driver's Ed
A few dumb questions since I have never been in a mk7 with driver assistance nannies

For lane assist, will it force you in the lane if you attempt a turn without a signal, or is it only for if it assumes you're drifting/not holding the wheel?

How hard will adaptive cruise hit the brakes if someone pulls out in front?

Does the adaptive cruise "car length" setting adjust with speed or is it static? I heard a good rule of thumb that it should be one car length for every ten miles ... if I use adaptive cruise at 40mph will the closest setting be the same at 65?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Sorry i never read before i post, spelling errors. What i mean is, i know where the reinforced spots are, next to the arrow ect. I have 2 jack stands i would like to put the back up but, my low profile jack is wide. Say i use the jack point with the jack, i cannot get the stand on that side on the jack point since its jacked up there. The jack point is like 5 inches long and while jacked up stand cant get close

Search for the DAP video on it. Our cars are very stiff bodied; you jack up the front a lot, then put the stand under the back. The entire side of the car will come up if you keep going. Same for the front.

The better solution is to get the Audi jack pads, raise the car from those points (further under the car) and put the stand under the rail on the outside of the car.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I got a U-Jack. It takes a little getting used to but I got pretty fast and efficient putting the car on stands. You do need jack stands with a narrow saddle to be compatible with the U-Jack though.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Raising the car the DAP way terrifies the living hell out of me. I did it to install my catback and talk about anxiety. Even though I know its fine, still scares me

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I see people reporting occasional "missfires". What does a miss fire feel like? What are the symptoms?
Your engine will stumble and then, if multiple misfires, your CEL will come on

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Raising the car the DAP way terrifies the living hell out of me. I did it to install my catback and talk about anxiety. Even though I know its fine, still scares me

I watched the DAP video and I was like ughhh idn about all that. I mean I guess I could use front jackpoint, then slide the stand under the back jack point/ repeat for both sides but yeah i tried to use the metal near the jack point and that was super shady and will not do that again

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I'll speak only of my experience. 2018 Autobahn, no DAP coding changes.

For lane assist, will it force you in the lane if you attempt a turn without a signal, or is it only for if it assumes you're drifting/not holding the wheel?

It won't "force" you, but it will exert force on the wheel to try and stay in the lane. If you let go of the wheel and drift over, the car will "ping-pong" between lane marking lines. Supposedly there is coding that smooths this out.

How hard will adaptive cruise hit the brakes if someone pulls out in front?

In my experience, not as hard as Front Assist, but still hard.

Does the adaptive cruise "car length" setting adjust with speed or is it static? I heard a good rule of thumb that it should be one car length for every ten miles ... if I use adaptive cruise at 40mph will the closest setting be the same at 65?

I don't know if it automatically adjusts with speed, but you can select the distance via the MFI. The shortest setting still leaves enough room for someone to jump in front of you. In that kind of traffic, you shouldn't be using the ACC anyway.

I keep both off most of the time, and only use it on long trips.

PhonzGTI

Greetings all. Have been following these forums for weeks as I have been waiting for the email to register me to come through.

Anyway, I will be a GTI owner in the next 6-9 months and here are my stupid questions and thoughts.

I have driven a 2019 SE and, well, duh, it was love at first acceleration. However, the stalling issue has me nervous so I am leaning toward a low mileage 2018 SE.

1. Those of you that have driven the 2019 and the 2018- is there a huge difference?
2. Any 2018 specific issues to be aware of?

Thanks.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Greetings all. Have been following these forums for weeks as I have been waiting for the email to register me to come through.

Anyway, I will be a GTI owner in the next 6-9 months and here are my stupid questions and thoughts.

I have driven a 2019 SE and, well, duh, it was love at first acceleration. However, the stalling issue has me nervous so I am leaning toward a low mileage 2018 SE.

1. Those of you that have driven the 2019 and the 2018- is there a huge difference?

Thanks.

get a 2020, problem will likely be resolved by then

usually first batch are never that good, i.e. 2015 mk7 had some issues, resolved in 2019... first rabbit in 2019, 2020 will be fine

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
get a 2020, problem will likely be resolved by then

usually first batch are never that good, i.e. 2015 mk7 had some issues, resolved in 2019... first rabbit in 2019, 2020 will be fine

What issues did the 2015 MK7 have that weren't resolved until 2019? If it takes four years to resolve issues then he should wait until 2023.

cinderbike

Ready to race!

Thanks.
Test drove a ‘19 SE MT and bought an ‘18 SE MT. Other than stalling issues due to thinner oil (or so I hear), exact same car. The only thing the 19’s have that the 18’s do not is the red GTI badges and if it has the experience pack, Fender audio and DCC.