GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
Test drove a ‘19 SE MT and bought an ‘18 SE MT. Other than stalling issues due to thinner oil (or so I hear), exact same car. The only thing the 19’s have that the 18’s do not is the red GTI badges and if it has the experience pack, Fender audio and DCC.

and let someone else took the 1st year lost, smart :)

poi217

Poor fuel economy

Is it normal to have poor mpg during break in?

Got the 2019 rabbit dsg and have had it for a little over 2 weeks now. Currently at 350 mi and have been driving like an old lady yet this is what im getting.
Ive only been driving city though.

Is this normal...?

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20190727_223405242.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20190727_223405242.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 357

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Is it normal to have poor mpg during break in?

Got the 2019 rabbit dsg and have had it for a little over 2 weeks now. Currently at 350 mi and have been driving like an old lady yet this is what im getting.
Ive only been driving city though.

Is this normal...?

In this snapshot your average speed is less than 16mph, and you have only done 63 miles, so I'm figuring you have been doing short trips with a cold engine in heavy traffic with lots of stop/start driving. You may have also been using a/c which uses more fuel. In this case then, yes, this is in line with what I'd expect.

If you can go for a longer drive at steady speeds (eg 40 - 60 mph) you should get much better fuel economy. Warming up a cold engine really chews through petrol, and once the engine is thoroughly warm it uses a lot less fuel.

poi217

In this snapshot your average speed is less than 16mph, and you have only done 63 miles, so I'm figuring you have been doing short trips with a cold engine in heavy traffic with lots of stop/start driving. You may have also been using a/c which uses more fuel. In this case then, yes, this is in line with what I'd expect.

If you can go for a longer drive at steady speeds (eg 40 - 60 mph) you should get much better fuel economy. Warming up a cold engine really chews through petrol, and once the engine is thoroughly warm it uses a lot less fuel.

That makes sense now, thanks

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That makes sense now, thanks

Also a new engine does use more fuel during the break in process. And I wouldn't rely on the mileage your car says. The only way to accurately get your MPG is by calculating it.

Moonray

Passed Driver's Ed
Anybody else struggle to detach the sun visor from the clip that holds it? With the visor down, it takes a TON of force. The last time I did it required such a violent pull that I told myself I shouldn't do it again if on the highway because I could imagine accidentally losing control of the car (seriously). When I got to a stop, I noticed I had actually ripped the housing from the cabin wall. :mad: WTF?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
time to see if your dealer is a good one or a dick. Mine takes force but not stupid force (I have only done it 1 or 2x)

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Anybody else struggle to detach the sun visor from the clip that holds it? With the visor down, it takes a TON of force. The last time I did it required such a violent pull that I told myself I shouldn't do it again if on the highway because I could imagine accidentally losing control of the car (seriously). When I got to a stop, I noticed I had actually ripped the housing from the cabin wall. :mad: WTF?

Do you mean the clip that holds the sun visor to swing it out? It shouldn't take that much force if you're pulling in the right direction

Moonray

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you mean the clip that holds the sun visor to swing it out? It shouldn't take that much force if you're pulling in the right direction

Yes, and agree. It's bizarre. If the visor is up, it requires a reasonable amount of effort, which makes me think it's slightly ovalized.

Fortunately I'm able to wedge the housing back into the ugly hole, and it's staying put. I almost never swing it over (or even down) since the car has nice roof overhang relative to driver (waaaaaay better than my Mazda3), plus I'm tall.

I'll check the passenger side later to see if it's the same.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, and agree. It's bizarre. If the visor is up, it requires a reasonable amount of effort, which makes me think it's slightly ovalized.

Fortunately I'm able to wedge the housing back into the ugly hole, and it's staying put. I almost never swing it over (or even down) since the car has nice roof overhang relative to driver (waaaaaay better than my Mazda3), plus I'm tall.

I'll check the passenger side later to see if it's the same.

Those side window vent visors really help and they look nice.