GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

theglowpt3

No that is not normal.

Here are two videos which demonstrate the problem. First facing the rear of the car (better sound) and the second facing the steering wheel.

https://youtu.be/zVYPXbk436s

https://youtu.be/d8WC7YgD77Q

Can any other GTI owners chime in if this sound is normal when you steer all the way while applying brakes. I have a 2019 GTI base model (which means I have 17'' Brooklyn wheels, although I doubt that would be an issue).

jbm119

Ready to race!
Here are two videos which demonstrate the problem. First facing the rear of the car (better sound) and the second facing the steering wheel.

Can any other GTI owners chime in if this sound is normal when you steer all the way while applying brakes. I have a 2019 GTI base model (which means I have 17'' Brooklyn wheels, although I doubt that would be an issue).

I do get that noise and like to know is it normal, too.

jcme0557

Passed Driver's Ed
Question about Apple Car Play...

This is my first time with a vehicle that has this feature. The "system" intermittently drops my phone. I'll be listening to music or a podcast and "boom" I get kicked out and get the screen that says, "connect a device, etc." Usually, if I unplug and re-plug in the cable, the system reconnects. Last week, however, I drove the entire way home with Car Play inoperable. Every time I tried to re-connect my phone, it would say, "Connection Canceled." When I got home, I tried my wife's i-phone and it hooked right up (of course then, when I tried my phone - it also hooked right up.) I've tried at least 4 different cables and still this intermittent connection issue.

Just wanted to follow-up on my question above about intermittent failure to re-connect to ACP...

I purchased a brand new Anker Lightning 2 cable - as per the suggestions from forum members. Unfortunately, I got an other "connection cancelled" message and failure to re-connect. It has only happened once in the last week (since using the new cable.) I was able to re-connect eventually, after I came back to the car after running some errands.

After 5 different cables (including the Anker and OE Apple Lightning,) I'm beginning to think it might just be something with my phone, based on the fact that nobody else has reported this problem (who hasn't been able to fix it with a good cable.) I guess the only way to know would be to borrow another i-phone and use it for a couple of weeks and see if it fails to connect also. I don't see that happening, so I guess I'll have to live with it until it gets worse or I have to get a new phone.

Just wanted to up-date this issue with what I found.

Pete_CFB

Ready to race!
Cable related comment...

I've tried a few cables, even an OEM Samsung for my S8+ in my Rabbit and no go, kept getting random disconnects.

I'm now using an old unknown brand ribbon style cable I had laying around for 1 week without disconnects now.

Something seems to be finicky, i'm wondering if it's not the actual USB connector in the pocket.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Just wanted to follow-up on my question above about intermittent failure to re-connect to ACP...

I purchased a brand new Anker Lightning 2 cable - as per the suggestions from forum members. Unfortunately, I got an other "connection cancelled" message and failure to re-connect. It has only happened once in the last week (since using the new cable.) I was able to re-connect eventually, after I came back to the car after running some errands.

After 5 different cables (including the Anker and OE Apple Lightning,) I'm beginning to think it might just be something with my phone, based on the fact that nobody else has reported this problem (who hasn't been able to fix it with a good cable.) I guess the only way to know would be to borrow another i-phone and use it for a couple of weeks and see if it fails to connect also. I don't see that happening, so I guess I'll have to live with it until it gets worse or I have to get a new phone.

Just wanted to up-date this issue with what I found.

Check for lint in your charging port. I don't have an iPhone but I have read this is an issue with them and their connectivity

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Let me clarify for those who don't understand the history.

The first reasonably available VAG software was from a company called ShadeTree software that ran on the Palm Pilot. When the Palm Pilot went away , ProDiag lost the customer base but it was still updated to 2015 or so.

Around 2000, Ross-Tech started selling VAG-COM. RT is a group of techs that designed this software to augment the VW systems in use at dealerships and to allow individual owners to check codes and make changes. VAG-COM morphed into VCDS somewhere mid/late 2000's and was a name change more than anything else.

In 2014 (ish) a Lithuanian group of coders put OBDeleven together. They are not techs and users rely heavily on the RossTech forums for (car) technical support because the coders can't help.

RossTech, in the US, is undoubtedly the leader, with OBDeleven being the poor relative that has a flaky business model and, I suspect, will go the way of Pro-Diag.

I’ve had a vagcom in some form since the early 2000’s. The support folks over there are top notch as well. I’d say it is the standard.

gtiinmass

I do get the exact same sound on my 2018 GTI Autobahn only when steering all the way while applying brakes (no brakes, no sound). Been wondering if this is normal or not, too...

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
beat me to it.....

Likewise.

Also possibly your plug port on the phone starting to get loose/worn? Had that issue on one phone a couple years ago.

Otherwise agreed with the other suggestion, might the port on the car itself.

Hopefully nothing with the infotainment, but always possible.

cb1111

I’ve had a vagcom in some form since the early 2000’s. The support folks over there are top notch as well. I’d say it is the standard.
Absolutely correct. While it is significantly more expensive than OBDeleven, it does more and has world class customer service that easily makes up for the difference.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I don't have that sound in my 18 SE.

theglowpt3

I do get the exact same sound on my 2018 GTI Autobahn only when steering all the way while applying brakes (no brakes, no sound). Been wondering if this is normal or not, too...

Yeah it seems like a few of us have noticed this. A few members have said they don't have this noise. Really makes me wonder what it is. Someone suggested it could be the suspension shipping pucks, but my suspension feels fine.

jcme0557

Passed Driver's Ed
Check for lint in your charging port. I don't have an iPhone but I have read this is an issue with them and their connectivity

Thanks, this is a good point. I've had this happen to me before. (My current i-phone cover has a little door to protect the port, so it hasn't been an issue recently. Perhaps I've been lulled into a sense of security?)

I'm gonna give it a squirt of electrical cleaner and see.

nype

Drag Racing Champion