GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do the exhaust flaps work on the MK7R

nikhsub1

What?
On UK cars, they are only open with the DSG transmission in S, so it does affect them, even in 'normal' mode, if you select S instead of D the valves open and the outer tailpipes are now working, easy to tell as there is now exhaust gas coming out, more noise and pops on over-run.

This is 100% incorrect.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Any car, doesn't matter as the valves will operate the same. There is no time on any car, UK or otherwise, that the valves are 100% open unless done so via VCDS, period end of story.
Mine are 100% open when I'm parked. I can send you a picture if that helps. I haven't done any coding

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Yes that is how they work. With no input, they default to open - so if you unplug the sensors to the flaps they will always be open. As soon as you start the car they close.
Mine don't close when I start my car up they still remain open. When I put it into drive they go from open to close to open. Now once the csr starts moving it's a mystery for me.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Gotcha. No plans on doing that. I purchased the vwr with the valves so I can keep the stock feeling.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yes that is how they work. With no input, they default to open - so if you unplug the sensors to the flaps they will always be open. As soon as you start the car they close.

Not on my R. At idle they're open. I have a bore scope and saw for myself. You can buy an inexpensive one for $75 and see for yourself. It's also useful for finding Tic-Tacs you drop in the seat tracks.

hal

Ready to race!
Old thread I know but thought I'd throw in some information to confuse things even more.

Note that i own a de-tuned R so mine might be suffering from a problem (that the dealer calls a feature) where the flaps don't really close as they should (I have a permanent non-reversible flapper mod from the factory so why I even have flaps is beyond me!).

In an effort to check that I first tried to disable the flaps via VCDS for a day (unchecked the "installed" bit) - felt no difference but that was expected.

I know I HAVE flaps and they ARE connected and they show up as functioning via VCDS but it seems that they just stay open no matter what.

I started measurements and looked at those 3 measurements pictured doing all sorts of driving styles you can think of at all modes of drive (comfort, normal, race, eco, individual).

Switching on the car (ACC on, Engine off) I get this:

Engine on:

And this stays as-is no matter how the car is driven, no matter what the speed is, cruising, WOT, letting off gas at high or low speeds. Even at coasting in Eco mode those values stay as they are: flaps open and 90.002%, 90.00%.

Now I sort of expected this given that I'm losing my hearing after driving the car for 2.5 years but i was wondering if anyone with a "proper" car that closes the flaps as well as VCDS can do the same tests and see what values they get?

I forgot to test the flaps in VCDS which I will do later. Maybe if the close test works then I unhook the wires and do a reverse-flapper-mod!

EDIT: nevermind, seems someone did the same thing and got to the same result here (http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/4337-exhaust-valves-someone-with-vcds-please-help/) - back to the dealer I guess.

Attachments

• flaps-engine-start.jpg
    flaps-engine-start.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 3,888
  • flaps-switch-on.jpg
    flaps-switch-on.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 3,870
Last edited:

hal

Ready to race!
For the record (to follow up on my rant above), I tested the flaps via VCDS and they work fine. They close and open responding to the test. And I could halt the test while they are closed and unhook them as well if I wanted.