GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most annoying thing about your GTI

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

Fully extend the arm rest then lift up the plastic cover starting from the bottom (where its circled), it comes off very easy. The plastic piece I removed is in the center and slides forwards and backwards. It comes out easy.

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
Before you remove it, I think it's a part that helps to lock the arm rest at different heights. My wife broke mine the second day I had the car. Arm rest will still lock up But it takes many tries. Mine doesn't rattle(what's left of it)!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
In the 3 GTIs I've driven over 6 years I can't imagine never having them tuned with a basic stage 1. At the VERY least a JB4 is worth it....The amount of time you spend using the car is many times higher than the time spent at the dealer service dept (I would hope! If not you have a lemon).
Boggles me why people spend so much time and effort on other things with the stock power output. It's simply unacceptable. The rest of the car is almost perfect.

+100500

daisoma

Passed Driver's Ed
In the 3 GTIs I've driven over 6 years I can't imagine never having them tuned with a basic stage 1. At the VERY least a JB4 is worth it....The amount of time you spend using the car is many times higher than the time spent at the dealer service dept (I would hope! If not you have a lemon).
Boggles me why people spend so much time and effort on other things with the stock power output. It's simply unacceptable. The rest of the car is almost perfect.
Cost of clutch plays a factor too. I was down AF to get a stage 1 until I heard I would need a clutch right away. So tune + clutch upgrade is around $2500ish. Kinda makes it less affordable

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
Cost of clutch plays a factor too. I was down AF to get a stage 1 until I heard I would need a clutch right away. So tune + clutch upgrade is around $2500ish. Kinda makes it less affordable

I’m on stage1+ unitronic and stock clutch for about 10k miles now. Clutch is fine. Just drive it smartly. I push it at the right times and in the right gears. The tune smoothed everything out n made it a better daily. Well worth the money.

daisoma

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m on stage1+ unitronic and stock clutch for about 10k miles now. Clutch is fine. Just drive it smartly. I push it at the right times and in the right gears. The tune smoothed everything out n made it a better daily. Well worth the money.

From what I read on this forum and vortex you're probably gonna need one pretty soon. But I'm no expert.

For me when i get a tune I'm probably wanna drive the sh*t out of it. Lol

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
The infotainment screen is mounted too low, i have to really take my eyes off the road to see the next google maps direction. The new jetta has a better implementation with the higher-up screen, more inline with the driver's line of sight. More manufacturers are trending this way (the big screen/ipad look).

Also there is a bad rattle on the black plastic piece that connects the A pillar to the upper door trim piece... but it only appears on certain stretches of freeway so for now i'm dealing with it until car's next service appointment.

AND the top of the rear bumper, right along the hatch gets unbelievably dirty in no time when it's raining, it seems to pool all the dirt and keep it there.

Yeah, the lane assist on my car balances out having a massive cell phone tacked to the dash.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Most annoying thing about my GTI....is it makes me frustrated (in the area I live) :)

The car is so damn capable of handling twisty roads, I'm constantly frustrated here in the suburban Tampa area as I have to go very far out of my way into the middle of the state to find some bends and quiet backroads which present a worthy challenge. I grew up in rural England riding motorcycles and driving hot hatches on the many low-traffic/low-population/low-cop twisties right on my doorstep....now realise how spoiled I was.

Other than that, asides from the usual door seal creaks which seem to come and go, I still love the car a year into ownership with no real issues.

sectachrome

Passed Driver's Ed
Haven't had mine for too long but since I've fixed the sunroof noise, added a clutch stop and throttle spacer, I'd have to say the worst thing is the lack of traction. Coming from a WRX and a Miata, this is a new thing to me.

Another thing I dislike is the horrible speedo. Maybe you just have to get used to it but I find it really hard to quickly glance at it and get an accurate read of the speed. I just use the digital speedo in the center.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Haven't had mine for too long but since I've fixed the sunroof noise, added a clutch stop and throttle spacer, I'd have to say the worst thing is the lack of traction. Coming from a WRX and a Miata, this is a new thing to me.

Another thing I dislike is the horrible speedo. Maybe you just have to get used to it but I find it really hard to quickly glance at it and get an accurate read of the speed. I just use the digital speedo in the center.

You guys in the States have both mph and kph printed on the speedo right? In Canada we get the ROW cluster so only kmh are printed. Whenever I drive in the States I have to use the digital speedo in the center.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Most annoying thing about my GTI....is it makes me frustrated (in the area I live) :)

The car is so damn capable of handling twisty roads, I'm constantly frustrated here in the suburban Tampa area as I have to go very far out of my way into the middle of the state to find some bends and quiet backroads which present a worthy challenge. I grew up in rural England riding motorcycles and driving hot hatches on the many low-traffic/low-population/low-cop twisties right on my doorstep....now realise how spoiled I was.

Other than that, asides from the usual door seal creaks which seem to come and go, I still love the car a year into ownership with no real issues.

Coastal FL has terrible driving roads. Bought my Mk6 GTI and used it in South FL for 9 months. Moved back home to TN. The first time I took it down a curvy back road blew my mind.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, I really don't like the analog speedometer. You only get "big" numbers every 20MPH (20-40-60-...), and the small hash marks represent 2MPH, so finding 35MPH, for example, is pretty vague. Good thing I treat most speed limits as suggestions :D

Although, I do use Waze on Android Auto so I can see my exact speed and also be notified when I'm over the limit for when I'm in known enemy territory. I swear cops in the suburbs have literally nothing to do but write speeding tickets all day...

You guys in the States have both mph and kph printed on the speedo right? In Canada we get the ROW cluster so only kmh are printed. Whenever I drive in the States I have to use the digital speedo in the center.
That's correct, it's a visual mess...

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Am I really seeing all this bitching about an analog speedometer??

I cannot even fathom owning a car with only digital gauges, nothing more artificial to me during a driving experience, that and it would make me feel like i was driving a prius. Personally I feel the GTI's gauges over the last 3 marks are the best looking/performing of most if not many cars I've seen and driven. They just fit with the vehicle so well, the color schemes, the placement.

sectachrome

Passed Driver's Ed
Am I really seeing all this bitching about an analog speedometer??

I cannot even fathom owning a car with only digital gauges, nothing more artificial to me during a driving experience, that and it would make me feel like i was driving a prius. Personally I feel the GTI's gauges over the last 3 marks are the best looking/performing of most if not many cars I've seen and driven. They just fit with the vehicle so well, the color schemes, the placement.

No ones saying they would rather have a digital gauge. Its that the analog gauge is poorly designed and hard to read. I've never given it a second thought in any other car I've had until this one. I would rather the analog gauge be legible so I could use the center display for something else.