GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight question??? Please help me understand

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
You still have the LP. Its hard to imagine, but someone down the line made an error. It should show the lighting package on there. There is a HUGE difference between LP and non LP.

mkygod

Ready to race!
In the case of VW cars, if you have projectors, you have HID. That is usually the norm with most cars, although in recent years, some lower-end manufacturers have started putting halogens in projectors (see Scion).

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
You have the lighting package with HID lights. The normal halogen lights look way different

You still have the LP. Its hard to imagine, but someone down the line made an error. It should show the lighting package on there. There is a HUGE difference between LP and non LP.

Thanks guys I appreciate all your input! What an emotional roller coaster lol [emoji6] if that is the case, that I do in fact have the LP, my mind will explode. I can't wrap my head around the thought that somewhere down the line VW f'd up that bad and forgot to note and charge for a nearly thousand dollar option....say whaaaat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Thanks guys I appreciate all your input! What an emotional roller coaster lol [emoji6] if that is the case, that I do in fact have the LP, my mind will explode. I can't wrap my head around the thought that somewhere down the line VW f'd up that bad and forgot to note and charge for a nearly thousand dollar option....say whaaaat?

If you think of how many cars are produced on a daily basis at the plant the odds of one or two being assembled incorrectly is pretty high. On vortex a member has a window sticker for a LP car but has halogens. If yours was a Gti I'd say you got his by mistake lol. Back in my mk6 days there was a member who bought an autobahn car so he had leather but one of his rear door cards had cloth trim.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
If you think of how many cars are produced on a daily basis at the plant the odds of one or two being assembled incorrectly is pretty high. On vortex a member has a window sticker for a LP car but has halogens. If yours was a Gti I'd say you got his by mistake lol. Back in my mk6 days there was a member who bought an autobahn car so he had leather but one of his rear door cards had cloth trim.

So are you of the thinking as well, that I do indeed have the LP since I do have the projectors?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Could it be possible that you do have halogens inside of the projectors? Many manufacturers will put halogens in the projectors of the lower end models. You should be able to tell by the color temperature. I think the stock color temp for GTI HID are 5,500k

Normally an OEM HID bulb would be around 4,300K or 4,500K more or less on most car brands. 4300K on a GTI and the bulbs are in fact D3S part#N10721805.

The best way to change the bulb is to remove the headlight housing. About a 2 hour job, maybe less.

OP yes you are lucky lol.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
So are you of the thinking as well, that I do indeed have the LP since I do have the projectors?

I am not of the thinking, I am of the knowing. Halogen cars do not have the running light or the cornering light that you so love. They look significantly different and cheaper.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
I am not of the thinking, I am of the knowing. Halogen cars do not have the running light or the cornering light that you so love. They look significantly different and cheaper.

Lol sweet then...don't know how this happened, or why it took almost 6 months to figure this out lol. What about fact there's no LP on my window sticker? U of the thinking as well, that I mysteriously got the LP by mistake, without paying for it? I just can't wrap my head around that possibility...cause I do have a Golf and not a GTI, so I'm not sure what is done with Golf's, if it's LP/non-LP...

Last edited:

eayala493

Passed Driver's Ed
Normally an OEM HID bulb would be around 4,300K or 4,500K more or less on most car brands. 4300K on a GTI and the bulbs are in fact D3S part#N10721805.

The best way to change the bulb is to remove the headlight housing. About a 2 hour job, maybe less.

OP yes you are lucky lol.

Are there any other ways to change the bulb without removing the entire housing? I wouldn't want to risk screwing up my alignment...:(

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Are there any other ways to change the bulb without removing the entire housing? I wouldn't want to risk screwing up my alignment...:(
This is how much room you have, and this is the passenger side, the one with the most room to work with

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 391

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
This is the back of the OEM housing you need to undo about 5 screws or so, maybe 4. If you ever do this do yourself a favor and take the bumper cover off, it's very easy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 384

plat

Ready to race!

Just for fun, if you want to find out if you got a free LP or if the factory made a mistake, look for your VAG build sheet (sticker) in the trunk of your Golf. In my MK6 GTI, it is found beside the spare tire. I am not sure if in the MK7's its also found on the same spot. Maybe someone can chime in and let us know.

There is a discussion thread in the MK6 forum that has links to documents and websites to help you decipher each code. Here is the link: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18871

Last edited: