GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is your WOT timing running at?

JcarrollWS6

Ready to race!
Even the stock tune on 93oct will display a negative total engine timing at Wide open throttle. What is more important is that the timing creeps more positively as the revs climb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Just did some pulls in 3rd, seems to stay at -2 but then creeps to 0 near redline.

4th gear I saw -3 to -5, looks like I may have to adjust the boost a bit.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Just did some pulls in 3rd, seems to stay at -2 but then creeps to 0 near redline.

4th gear I saw -3 to -5, looks like I may have to adjust the boost a bit.

Just saw this now about 4th. You going to want to get down .25psi and see. Also try other fuel stations could be a bad batch of fuel and you land up running less boost than you could.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Just saw this now about 4th. You going to want to get down .25psi and see. Also try other fuel stations could be a bad batch of fuel and you land up running less boost than you could.

Just did that, I'm breaking out my VAGCOM to log the timing at +5.25, I'll shoot them over to you when I'm done.

Radfox

Ready to race!
Even the stock tune on 93oct will display a negative total engine timing at Wide open throttle. What is more important is that the timing creeps more positively as the revs climb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JcarrollWS6, are you running an ED tune? I understand that when you first hit the throttle the timing dips negative but as the RPM build and timing starts to advance I would like to know what your peak timing(advance) is at WOT? What are others seeing? Shouldn't we be seeing at least 20 degrees of advance? If not why?

Thanks,

Radfox

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Here is a 4th gear WOT pull I just did, looks like I may have issues with cylinders 1 and 3.....

Radfox

Ready to race!
Here is a 4th gear WOT pull I just did, looks like I may have issues with cylinders 1 and 3.....

gn4rwhals, did you not get any more RPM than 5496? I suspect that you did but your sample rate missed it. Just in case you didn't know you can actually leave the car floored until you feel the power cut. Is this with a VCDS? It would appear that your average timing advance was still on its way up but the last samples are missing. I am curious to know how much more you get than 5 BTDC.

Looking at your sampling rate, and knowing the issue that I had with my VCDS sample rate using a HEX-USB+COM, have you tried to have 8 or less readings, with UDS grouping on, and with turbo mode enabled? When I log with these settings I will get multiple samples per second.

With regards to your Timing per cylinder, we will have to see what the others have to say about this.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I did not get to go higher than 5496 on that pull due to the car going around ~110 on a road in Mexico :p

I tried to enable turbo mode on the VCDS but it apparently did not work, driving and trying to run the laptop is hard enough, I'm surprised I got these logs.

On another note I have the "MK7 Rough Idle" that no one can seem to figure out, just let the car idle in the garage and found that cylinder 2 is the culprit and is getting ~10 misfires per 1000 revolutions, not sure what normal threshold is.

Radfox

Ready to race!
I did not get to go higher than 5496 on that pull due to the car going around ~110 on a road in Mexico :p

I tried to enable turbo mode on the VCDS but it apparently did not work, driving and trying to run the laptop is hard enough, I'm surprised I got these logs.

On another note I have the "MK7 Rough Idle" that no one can seem to figure out, just let the car idle in the garage and found that cylinder 2 is the culprit and is getting ~10 misfires per 1000 revolutions, not sure what normal threshold is.

I was surprised when I hit somewhere around 110MPH at the top of 3rd, I cant imagine trying to log a WOT run in 4th, can you? I was lucky enough to find a decent road outside of town to do my runs.

Regarding your sample rate, how many signals were you logging at the same time? Did you try to enable 'UDS grouping'? Select UDS grouping and turbo first, then start selecting measurements. Watch to see how the sample rate drops with each additional measurement and make sure that each reported measurement is real. If you only have one measurement selected and there is no real data showing on the screen, then you must completely exit out of the advanced mode to clear the turbo option. Then go back in and select UDS grouping again and start selecting measurements until your sample rate becomes to slow then remove one. With 8 measurements and turbo mode enabled at idle I am reading 6 samples per second, with 9 readings I don't get any real data.

I am sorry to hear that you are reading misfires at idle. I have logged my misfires before and was reading 0 on all cylinders. I remember running across a forum somewhere, it may not have been for Mark VII, where someone was getting a misfire at idle and they upgraded their coil packs to fix the situation. I think the new packs were red and used on the R or an Audi.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Unfortunately the red coil packs are gen 2 TSI motors only, they only have OEM replacement for the gen 3 motors right now.

I'm going to start there, do just coil and plug combo, shouldn't cost too much to do.

I might check with the dealership to see if they will replace it without a CEL, right now I'm getting no CEL I just have a rough idle with no affect on the RPM.

What's interesting is that the car runs great and does not misfire driving around, so this is strange indeed, even in the logs I have there is no apparent issue on cylinder 2.

Radfox

Ready to race!
Cool that you knew about the red packs! I hope you figure it out.

Here is snap shot of my timing all the way until the ECU cut the acceleration. Like I think I have said before, I don't think that my car holding a max of 5 degrees advance is normal. I am waiting and wanting to hear from others on this. From your log, your timing appears to be on the rise. From my other 4 cylinder experience we tweaked and tweaked everything to get the most advance under WOT which was usually 22 degrees. Is everyone really only getting 5 degrees under WOT on the TSI engine? I found a mention of a MK7 which showed 7 degrees using the vent gauge. I found an R log that looked like they were getting 13 degrees advance.