GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheels. Tell me what I need to know!

Scotty1

Passed Driver's Ed
As I've said many times I know very little about the mechanics or jargon of cars so please treat me as a complete novice.

If I wanted to change the alloys of a Golf Match what do I need to look for on the aftermarket product

Thanks

phope1

Ready to race!
The bolt pattern or PCD (pitch circle diameter) is 5x112
The centre bore size is 57.1mm
The offset or ET (German - 'Einpresstiefe') differs according to the various models but is typically 49-51 for Golf 7 cars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_sizing gives you a good idea

For aftermarket wheels, you will likely need replacement wheel bolts to fit correctly into the wheels - some wheels use a tapered style bolt and others use a radiused style

Last edited:

phope1

Ready to race!
I think the Match model has 205/55R16 sized tyres on 16" sized wheels, with a 6.5 inch wheel width

If I were you, I would keep the tyre sizes the same as VW uses on their other Golf models which are 225/45R17 tyres on a 17" wheel with a 7 inch wheel width, 225/40R18 on an 18" wheel with a 7.5 inch wheel width or 225/35R19 on a 19" wheel with an 8 inch wheel width.

and that's before you even start playing with non-standard widths and sizes...

Scotty1

Passed Driver's Ed
That was everything I wanted and more! Thank you so much.

In reality I don't want to go crazy with them, I'm just not overly excited about the standard 'Dover' ones on the match. I may even just order the 17" 'Singapore' or 18" 'Serron' ones that VW offer. Assuming the Match can handle 18" without damaging mpg too much

phope1

Ready to race!
Ebay often throws up some good bargains for OEM wheels, as does Ebay.de (with the Euro being weak just now, you can benefit)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Reifenprofi-de-Shop is a good start on Ebay Germany, or do a search for " original golf 7 felgen " which should get you quite a few results

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Et as mentioned above for Golf is 49mm to 51mm...........most aftermarket alloys are 45mm to 35mm.

basically a 45mm et will stick out 4mm than the OEM 49mm alloy..........a 50mm et will be sunk into the wheel arch & closer to the brakes

45mm et is fine, anything over 6mm difference from OEM does start to affect steering geometry...but some people are fine running a 35mm et!

I have 45mm et 7x17, 225/45R17 tyres & alloys all fine, but inform your insurance

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
If you stick with genuine vw alloys you probably don't need to inform your insurance company. Better still order them as a factory option and you don't need to tell them at all.

phope1

Ready to race!
Remember that the MQB platform is your friend as well - wheels from MQB versions of Skoda, Seat and Audi may also fit, and you can pop a VW centre cap on instead ;)

I quite like these as genuine 17" Golf wheels - look good, OEM and you won't see many of them around, but downside is around £960 plus delivery plus tyres

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381041559409

steed

does anyone know if i replace the standard 16 inch alloys on my golf with 18 inch alloys should i get a flat Tyre can i use the supplied space saver wheel or will i have to purchase a bigger one to compensate for the three 18 inch wheels ?

Bikebits

Ready to race!
does anyone know if i replace the standard 16 inch alloys on my golf with 18 inch alloys should i get a flat Tyre can i use the supplied space saver wheel or will i have to purchase a bigger one to compensate for the three 18 inch wheels ?

The size of the rims - 15", 16",17", 18" etc does not change the overall diameter of the wheel when used with proportionally sized tires. 15" tires will have sidewalls that are taller than 18's, resulting in similar circumference. Otherwise you would have to recalibrate the speedometer to read correctly.

Therefore the same size spare can be used for different size wheels.

steed

The size of the rims - 15", 16",17", 18" etc does not change the overall diameter of the wheel when used with proportionally sized tires. 15" tires will have sidewalls that are taller than 18's, resulting in similar circumference. Otherwise you would have to recalibrate the speedometer to read correctly.

Therefore the same size spare can be used for different size wheels.

thank you.

Fantomas1

Et as mentioned above for Golf is 49mm to 51mm...........most aftermarket alloys are 45mm to 35mm.

basically a 45mm et will stick out 4mm than the OEM 49mm alloy..........a 50mm et will be sunk into the wheel arch & closer to the brakes

45mm et is fine, anything over 6mm difference from OEM does start to affect steering geometry...but some people are fine running a 35mm et!

I have 45mm et 7x17, 225/45R17 tyres & alloys all fine, but inform your insurance
How about going from standard suspension (2.0 TDI) 16" Dover (6.5x16 ET46) to 7x17 ET45 205/50R17? According to willtheyfit the new wheels will poke out 7.3 mm more.
Can't find Dover wheel weight? I assume they are less than 9.5 kg so this leaves me few options in 7x17 land. The only forged (lightweight) wheel with a decenet price is Enkei SC25 (Yamato) (8.23 kg)
Yamato on GTI

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Soo... If I wanted new tires, but not new rims (I really like the Austin's), I've been looking at getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's in the same size as the stock tires... Do I need to do anything special other than get them mounted to the stock rims??

Oh, and I'm also noob. If you can't tell.

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed

Just want to ensure before my purchase.

Looking to buy a set of OZ Ultraleggera 8x17” with ET48 and 5x112 bolt pattern in crystal titanium silver.

Whether ET48 fits Golf 7 Estate (non-sport suspension/springs) without any issues?