GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mike's DSG Carbon Steel GTI Build

MikeNickles

Ready to race!
Not much to do today so I thought I'd start my own journal of what I have done and what I want for future mods. Bought my GTI I believe on August 13th 2014. One of the first few in my town with it. Since then I have done a few mods to make it my own.

Lowered on Bilstein B14 Coilovers
No spacers up front, 7mm ECS Tuning spacers in rear
Bronze Neuspeed RSe10 19x8 20.5lb wheels et45 with Hankook Ventus V12 tires
Eurodyne Tuned
Lamin-x Gunsmoke tail light tint
Rear Wiper Delete
Front & Rear Splash Guards
Window Tint 35% front -- 15% rear -- 15% windshield banner
Plastidip front and rear badges
Carbon Fiber Vinyl over red grille stripe
GTI emblem removal
Injen Intake (black)
Ed's Golf R Headlights
Black Forest Industries Torque Arm Insert & Engine Mount (Bought, not installed yet)

Muffler&Resonator Delete or custom catback exhaust (Jan-Feb 2015)
Coilovers(Summer-Fall 2015)
ECS slotted rotors & upgraded brake pads (20k miles)
Misc Exterior Mods

Many more updates coming soon including reviews of products I have bought.

For more pictures you can follow me on Instagram: mikenickles

Last edited:

MikeNickles

Ready to race!
Currently I have been busy trying to fix the damage of a hit & run accident. When I have the time I will take the wheel off and fix the dent. No paint was taken off in the process. I was able to polish off most of the defect and pull the fender away from the tire.

I was driving down the road going the speed limit and a white Chevy HHR pulls out of a parking lot into the lane next to mine. As I pass by they immediately merge into my lane and clip my passenger side rear. I saw it coming but couldn't get out of the way because there was an island to the left of me. I immediately pulled over and once I got out of my car they made a U-turn and took off. By then the traffic was too heavy to chase them.

MikeNickles

Ready to race!
Newest mod has been the Neuspeed Power Module. So far I am very impressed. You can really feel the torque improvement (+35HP & +70TQ)
I am currently running 91 octane which puts me around +25HP and +60TQ though. A noticeable improvement over stock. This goes well with the lightweight Neuspeed RSe10 wheels. The wheels alone felt like a power improvement. Quicker take-off and better cornering. I recommend both the Module and the Wheels if anyone was thinking about getting either.

Install of the module took about 10 minutes. 2 minutes to plug the top cable and attach the module, 8 minutes to attach the last cable to the boost sensor. I didn't notice full power until about 15 miles down the road. This module alone FEELS like I've shed close to or up to HALF a second off a quarter mile time. I havent done any testing with that though yet. With these new wheels, summer tires and Neuspeed Module, I wouldn't be surprised if I was hitting 13.4 or so on the quarter mile with the module + lightweight wheels & summer tires. One thing that does need to be fixed though is occasional wheel hop in 1st and 2nd gear which I hope the BFI torque arm insert can help with.

Last edited:

MikeNickles

Ready to race!
Another recent mod has been the Neuspeed RSe10 Bronze wheels. I bought these mostly due to the price and the weight. I wanted to buy 19 inch wheels but also save rotational weight. I got them on sale for 275 each paired with Hankook Ventus V12 tires on sale for 140 each.

Neuspeed RSe10 Bronze 19x8 ET45
Hankook Ventus V12 225/35 19

Ride quality is nearly identical to stock. I didn't notice a stiffer ride at all. What I did notice though was the performance of this combo. The tires blow the stock Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires out of the water. Traction has improved greatly. I also feel MUCH more confident in wet weather driving. The look of the tires as well is great. It gives the car more of a sporty appearance. It's actually difficult to make these tires squeal when taking it around tight corners.

On another note, I couldn't be happier with the wheels. I guarantee you will notice the difference in your improved cornering and take offs. These wheels feel as if you just shed 250lbs from your car. Losing 5+ lbs of rotational weight on each corner makes a huge difference. I feel much more confident in my cornering abilities.

Last edited:

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
Very nice build. love everything you've done and you seem to have quite a good plan for the future :D

Go Kart Champion
what about a catted downpipe? or get a catless one and swap for testing lol

MikeNickles

Ready to race!
Put Lamin-x a few months ago since I didn't want to spend so much money for Euro tails. I'd rather tint my tails out while I wait for some cheap nice aftermarket smoked tail lights. I ended up going with Gunsmoke 12% tint. I bought the 50 dollar kit and a 20 dollar strip for the 3rd brake light. I haven't done much tinting in my time so it was pretty difficult to do. I don't know if it is possible to apply without a heat gun as well. Here are some before and afters. It looks cheap from up close but 5ft+ away it looks really nice. This is just to hold me over until an alternative comes out. Or until I have the time to get them professionally tinted.

Screwed up on these edges but eventually fixed with more heat

Before/After

Go Kart Champion
I'd have to check with a few shops if they can install catless. But no matter what I will need to switch it out every time I go to get smogged. Good ol CA

how often do you get smogged?

MikeNickles

Ready to race!
how often do you get smogged?

Every 2 years. But I believe I don't need to get smogged for 4 years since my car is brand new. Which is why I'm debating on getting one. I probably wont though.

Also, hoping to buy my Injen intake and Golf R headlights this week. :)

Possibly a few goodies from Deautokey. Trunk light, license plate light etc.

Go Kart Champion
Merry Christmas :D

CAI?

MikeNickles

Ready to race!
Installed License Plate LED's from DeAutoKey. They are pretty bright. Great color. Easy install. Took less than 5 minutes.