GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R now on the US Volkswagen Site!

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
It's a selling rename. Same system.

It's exactly the same hardware, but as several reviewers who have tested the S3 back to back with the R have noted, the Audi feels a tiny bit more supple and not quite as crisp as the R does. Given the intended customer base differences between the two cars, this makes sense, marketing-wise. This difference in ride characteristics is likely due to software tuning of the same electrically adjustable shocks used on the cars. The difference in ride/handling is not supposed to be a night and day sort of thing, but rather a subtle difference you'd only catch if you jumped from car to car, if at all.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Link for further US Golf R Press releases

I was just in an info chat session on the US VW website, seeing if they had any further info on the first batch of Rs coming to NA; as I suspected, they had nothing new to say (although they were quite polite about it). But, they did give me a direct link to the page where VW posts its press releases on the Golf R: http://media.vw.com/model/20/ , which might be useful for checking for further availability info.

Icez

That's the thing, they are not exactly the same.

Speed12 posted in this thread

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5338

"The Audi system uses magneto-rheological fluid in the dampers - an electromagnetic field is applied which essentially 'thickens' the fluid in the damper and adjusts the damping properties.

The Golf system (DCC) simply adjusts the damper flow valve to change the damping properties.

Both do the same thing, just slightly differently. The Audi system can probably react a little bit faster, but these systems all react so fast that it probably wouldn't be noticeable."

Many review sites have noticed how different the cars handle... I suspect if you like sporty driving the R will be more for you compared to the S3.

If a fully loaded R is 39K (which is exactly what I expected) it will be 11K cheaper than a fully loaded S3 - 50K large. I admit that some of the features of the S3 may be better than the best offerings the R has.. like the MMI system and possibly the sound system. (at least IMO) But man.. 11K.. Thats 2K+ a year. Thats a pool table next year, appliances for my kitchen job the year after, a new computer after that...

- If you like the sedan body of the S3 better than the looks of the R
- If you like the options for MMI and interior styling of the S3 better
- Extra year of warranty, re-sale, Badge

If the you agree with the points above and do not plan on fully loading the S3 than it is probably worth it. But I still would recommend waiting until you have a chance to test drive the R.

For people who do not want the options I would feel bad if this was a fully loaded one size fits all package forcing allot of things you don't want / need. But I would keep an open mind until both cars are available.

As for me, I was planning on fully loading either car I decide on. All comes down to the test drive.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Why is everyone screaming at the price? :confused:

A loaded GTI can get to $35k and a base S3 is $42k and can be optioned to near $50k. The S3 also does not give you a choice of transmission.

This is a loaded Golf R and it's $39,090.

I expected $35k-$36k for a base model and $38k-$39k for a loaded model.

artystamk7

Ready to race!
Just for shits and giggles I got a quote on a base s3 lease over 4 years. My payments came to a whopping $760/month, thats $250 more a month than my gti. This is partially because audi's interest rate here is 5.9%! versus 2.9 on VW. So even if the R is close to S3 pricing, the payments are still going to be much much lower just based on the interest rate alone, and this isn't even factoring in insurance which should be considerably higher for an S3.

sphereman1

Ready to race!
Just for shits and giggles I got a quote on a base s3 lease over 4 years. My payments came to a whopping $760/month, thats $250 more a month than my gti. This is partially because audi's interest rate here is 5.9%! versus 2.9 on VW. So even if the R is close to S3 pricing, the payments are still going to be much much lower just based on the interest rate alone, and this isn't even factoring in insurance which should be considerably higher for an S3.

From what i hear the R is also going to come in at 5.9% introductory rate for the crazy ones like us that pre-ordered the car. That's high

artystamk7

Ready to race!
haha, looks like they got rid of the price in the source code and substituted it with "tbd" lol..... a little too late vw, a little too late.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI

I like how they refer to me as a hipster hacker just for being able to right-click view source and skim raw code.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
I like how they refer to me as a hipster hacker just for being able to right-click view source and skim raw code.

The Onion's grip on journalism is growing.