GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto headlights on during the day

Brian G1

Even after adjusting the auto headlight setting to "late" I still find them switching on far too early. With the DRL's fitted, there's no real need for them to switch on when it's just an overcast day, that's the whole point of DRL's.

Bear in mind that with headlamps on, it's drawing power from your alternator at approx. 110W and that increases fuel consumption.
I guess you must drive around with your aircon and radio switched off if you are that worried about fuel consumption.

Anything that gets you noticed by some of the other numptys that are on the road is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

marvin1

Ready to race!
I guess you must drive around with your aircon and radio switched off if you are that worried about fuel consumption.

Anything that gets you noticed by some of the other numptys that are on the road is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

BIB but yes that's what the DRLs are for and one doesn't necessarily need headlights as well. And of course there is the danger that in certain shadowy conditions this Auto headlight feature can 'flash' the lights on and off given false signs, possibly to emerging traffic.

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
Permanent DRLs or headlights in the day will be a requirement in Switzerland from January 2014...

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Even after adjusting the auto headlight setting to "late" I still find them switching on far too early. With the DRL's fitted, there's no real need for them to switch on when it's just an overcast day, that's the whole point of DRL's.

Bear in mind that with headlamps on, it's drawing power from your alternator at approx. 110W and that increases fuel consumption.

I totally fail to see your problem. As far as I'm concerned the more chance there is of another road user/pedestrian seeing me coming, i.e. because of DRLs/Headlights used in daytime, the better.

I used dipped headlights/headlights during daytime long before I bought my Golf Mk6 in October 2010 which had permanent DRLs. Even if DRLs were not now mandatory I would still use them.

BTW I have my auto headlights set to "Early" and that's where they will stay. Today in NE Scotland, it wasn't fully daylight until around 09:30 and will be starting to get dark before 15:00 and the light is terrible, it's what we Jockistanis term a Driech day, and if my headlights were automatically on all day because of the poor light, it's because they need to be. Saving a life/preventing an accident is far more important than a minute saving in fuel consumption.

Think about it :mad:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
BIB but yes that's what the DRLs are for and one doesn't necessarily need headlights as well. And of course there is the danger that in certain shadowy conditions this Auto headlight feature can 'flash' the lights on and off given false signs, possibly to emerging traffic.

Is it impossible for you ever to agree with another member on anything? :mad:

I totally disagree with you, there are times when the headlights and not DRLs are necessary during the day, or do you still drive behind a guy holding a red flag? :rolleyes:

There are times in winter here when auto-headlights will be on all day rather than DRLs, today being a case in point, or perhaps you never venture outside your hermetically sealed/street-lit urban world :confused:

marvin1

Ready to race!
Is it impossible for you ever to agree with another member on anything? :mad:

I totally disagree with you, there are times when the headlights and not DRLs are necessary during the day, or do you still drive behind a guy holding a red flag? :rolleyes:

There are times in winter here when auto-headlights will be on all day rather than DRLs, today being a case in point, or perhaps you never venture outside your hermetically sealed/street-lit urban world :confused:

I've been monitoring various post of yours from time to time and you seem to be a most unpleasant person with respect to picking on anything I say whether justified or not, in your opinion. It's such a shame.
My comments based on decades of safe, no penalty points driving have some worth on any motoring forum.

Sent from my HTC phone

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I also pull the wings off of flies. I also stand by my comment, you always disagree and find fault. Obviously my help for other members doesn't count for anything, I'll cry myself to sleep tonight.

Yes, I home in on your posts because of the constant negativity - face facts you're only here to nit-pick and find fault so I can say the same of you.

marvin1

Ready to race!
DW 58, I have read your posts 19 and 20 again and stand by everything I have said. Others here may think you are the Bees's knees with regards to motoring wisdom but that's up to them.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
In posts 19 & 20 of this thread I raised valid points, and also disagreed with you, something you clearly can't cope with. Your displeasure isn't going to stop me posting as long as I feel I am making worthwhile contributions, something you don't often do.

If you find my posts such a problem there's a simple solution, set me to "Ignore" and then you wont have to read them, you've just been added to mine.

Yes I'm a cantankerous old git but I make valuable contribution to the discussion, popularity or otherwise isn't really of much concern to me. I'm interested in learning more and helping others do the same - can you say likewise, I think not. I've never seen you post anything but negativity and the most ridiculous thing is you don't even have any experience of the car you so love to criticise.

keir the dub bloke

Passed Driver's Ed
And of course there is the danger that in certain shadowy conditions this Auto headlight feature can 'flash' the lights on and off given false signs, possibly to emerging traffic.

In all my time with auto lights on the MK6, they have never 'flashed' in shadowy conditions. There needs to be a distinct variance in ambient lighting levels for the sensor to switch the lights which you will not get from shadows.

The Mk7 with it's different settings may change this however.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
My experiences mirror yours Keir, and so far the Golf Mk7 auto-lights seem the same although the sensor seems slightly different. I think the DRLs and auto lights are one of the better features of the Golf Mk6/Mk7. I just wish Volkswagen would look at better bulbs, but of course they want us to select the Xenon option.

psquared2

Ready to race!
In nearly 4 years with my Mk 6 I have been very happy with the way the DRLs and the auto lights work. On mine the media screen shows me when the full lights are on and I have never felt them to be on unnecessarily or operating like flashers when going under bridges or heavy tree cover. The only time I change the settings in daylight is where the sky is too bright to auto switch the lights but at ground level it is quite misty (not uncommon being only a short distance from the sea) and while only the DRLs are on there is no rear lighting.

Hopefully my 140 ACT/DSG will arrive in January (I can't wait) Is there anything in the nav/media screen which gives a clear indication of the auto lights having turned on as I get with my Mk 6?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I had my MK5 for nearly 9 years, always used auto lights, never had to replace the battery (covered 72k miles), between November and March in the UK, expect the lights to be on more often than not when driving, the threshold is not simply a level, there is a window eg if you imagine 0 candles is pitch black and 10 is bright sunlight, the range between 4-6 is where the lights may function where you may imagine they may not, remember your pupils adjust so as it goes dark or light you won't notice as quickly as the sensor in the car.
The so if the car on a sunny day went under a tunnel, the lights would come on and switch off near immediately after exiting the tunnel, but if you were driving say an hour before sunset, the incident light would be reducing so it may be 7 candles outside and the lights are off they may not come on until 4 candles and will remain on until above 6 candles, likewise it could be dawn and the incident lighting is 5 candles, the lights maybe on and remain so until 7 candles.

(ps the candella figures are used just to simplify the example)

DW58

Go Kart Champion
On mine the media screen shows me when the full lights are on

In what way does it do that - what system have you got?

x2 - I'm not exactly sure what Psquared's media system is displaying but I'm not aware of mine doing so on Golf Mk6 or Golf Mk7, I've never been aware that my headlights are on instead of the DRLs, the only thing I'm aware of is the Blue Full-Beam light.