GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Sailkote (dry lube) on the felt of the door top seals. Krytox (wet lube) inside the flap of the door top seals.

I sprayed the Sailkote into a small container. And then used a small sponge / sponge brush to apply it.

Got it. So it has nothing to do with the window seals that wrap around the edge of the window. It's the top door seal.

Weird how it started one day all of a sudden, and never went away. I just washed the car today for the first time in months, and I always do the seals. I wonder if they'll continue to creak when I drive it tomorrow.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Got it. So it has nothing to do with the window seals that wrap around the edge of the window. It's the top door seal.

Weird how it started one day all of a sudden, and never went away. I just washed the car today for the first time in months, and I always do the seals. I wonder if they'll continue to creak when I drive it tomorrow.

In my experience, moisture made the noises go away until everything was dry again.

I tried Gummi Pfledge on the rubber seals around the door frame at the very beginning. Didn’t help in the slightest.

AAK1992

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't believe cleaning that rubber area/felt actually worked. I was sure my rattle (being as bad as it was) was a direct result of a bad window track/misalignment or something more serious like that... Nope, 10 minutes spent using some Griots window cleaner and microfibers and I've been rattle free for a few days now.

I cleaned the rubber around the top and bottom of the door's window frame. Really got in there between the bottom window frame lining section (top of the door), and rattle free now.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
In my experience, moisture made the noises go away until everything was dry again.

I tried Gummi Pfledge on the rubber seals around the door frame at the very beginning. Didn’t help in the slightest.

So after washing the car thoroughly, including the seals, and drying, and letting the car sit in the sun in 90 degree heat yesterday, the creak was gone. I don't know if this is temporary or not... If it comes back, I'll resort to the products recommended...

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
^ Weird. My car still creaks like an old sailboat from every door and it gets especially bad after I clean the car and doorjambs, then let it sit out in the sun for a bit.

Gotta get on that Sailkote. Gummi Pfledge did absolutely nothing for me either.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Do someone got a DYI on this fix or a video? . Hard to understand excatly what seals are the problem :(

My goes away when lower the window 5mm... But can´t drive like that :)

Have a look at the pics in post 7.

Sailkote on the felt. Krytox GPL-205 inside the flap.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
So I have avoided the krytox/Sailkote fix and today was seemingly successful.

I used 1/4 OD flexible silicone tubing, like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-T...var=553107311005&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I placed in the tops of the doors as was known (and I have done with hard plastic 1/4 tubing) previously, but I also placed it inside the inner seal where the window touches, which I believed for a long time was the primary source of the creaking in my car.

I would say this tubing resolved it to a level I haven't heard since the car was brand new. It's remarkable how much different it is driving around with the radio at low volume or off. My creaking started within the first few thousand miles (I'm at 25k now), and I tried everything short of Krytox/Sailkote on all the seals, including the inner window seal I mentioned, without any success.

The area in question is here, as posted on p3 of this thread:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I’m pretty certain the long term fix is just Sailkote (or other dry Teflon lube) on the felt. I don’t think the issue is corrected with a wet lube or grease like Krytox inside the flap.

I can report that I haven’t had to reapply either, and I have zero creaking from the doors still to this day. Knock on wood...

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I’m pretty certain the long term fix is just Sailkote (or other dry Teflon lube) on the felt. I don’t think the issue is corrected with a wet lube or grease like Krytox inside the flap.

I can report that I haven’t had to reapply either, and I have zero creaking from the doors still to this day. Knock on wood...

So if people are needing to apply it to the felt on the inner seal where I placed my tubing, is there truly no residue getting on the window?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
So if people are needing to apply it to the felt on the inner seal where I placed my tubing, is there truly no residue getting on the window?

Not at all because the window does not contact the door top flap

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

This^^^^^. I just don’t understand why people resort to tubing when it’s such a simple fix.