GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lights issue

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
After heavy rain few days ago, this is how my right headlight looks. :mad:
I've been to the dealer and they said they will probably replace the headlight, but I need to bring the car in Monday so they can check with factory if it's covered by warranty. They said it's normal to fog up, but not to have water drops inside.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Hi all, I'm new on here but have just picked up my new golf GTD:).
After a few days of having the car I to have started to get fog and condensation in my headlights:mad:.
After a trip to the dealer the car was booked in for two new headlights, result:). After the lights were fitted they just did the same $^@&. After the car went back to the dealer a 2nd time they are going to fit full units and will see if this solves my problem.

I don't know how much you experienced the problem but my GTD did this for the first week or so, it hasn't done it since.

There could be a problem and full units will determine that, with mine though, it seemed to be the fact it was new, once i'd driven a bit with the DRL's on, I've had no issue since.

James

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
I don't know how much you experienced the problem but my GTD did this for the first week or so, it hasn't done it since.

There could be a problem and full units will determine that, with mine though, it seemed to be the fact it was new, once i'd driven a bit with the DRL's on, I've had no issue since.

James

Even if it dries off, water inside will leave ugly water stains like it does on mine when I turn on main beam.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Even if it dries off, water inside will leave ugly water stains like it does on mine when I turn on main beam.

Yours did look a little more serious - i only ever had a bit of misting up and fogging.

James

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
The lights are not 'hermetically' sealed units - so some misting/fogging is a possibility in certain conditions. The water showing inside the lenses in the above pictures is far worse than that and I agree unacceptable. Its always worth checking the access covers are correctly seated in place behind the headlamp units..

mal101

James

It has done it from day one which was the 23rd October. Some days its the whole light and even if I drive around all day which I do a lot in my job, with the lights on they don't clear.
Will see what happens with the new lights its booked in next week they are going to change the lights and light units with seals, hope it works as its the only thing that bugs me about the car.

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
So I had my headlight replaced this morning. Everything looked fine when I took the car. After few hours on sunny weather I noticed water drops again (next to the indicator bulb). I'll see how it handles rain in few days, but I guess I'll be back to dealer soon. I'm glad I have a 4 year warranty.

crzyskimer93

Ready to race!
Mine just started doing this as well [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji36][emoji36][emoji36][emoji36] have a apt. At 3 o'clock they said its normal and not to worry about it but I'm going to complain I don't find this normal... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417531127.496734.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417531148.867055.jpg

mal101

Hi all, my car was back in vw today to get new lights fitted :)

Result ..... FAIL :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Will go back see what they say but this is the 3rd time they have fitted lights and its still doing it and its not raining.
I know there is a fault as my friend has the same car and nope his lights don't do it, also the dealer close to were I live has at least eight GTD's in stock kept outside on show in the rain and cold and nope not one does it :confused:

rant over don't know what to do I've put some pics on so you can see my new 3rd set of lights in all there glory.

Attachments

• 20141202_203138 s.jpg
    20141202_203138 s.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 1,907
  • 20141202_203211 s.jpg
    20141202_203211 s.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 1,822
  • 20141202_203224 s.jpg
    20141202_203224 s.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 1,907

crzyskimer93

Ready to race!
I was told it was normal as I just left my dealer saying that there is a vent tube that allows air flow and can cause it. But they checked my headlight housing cap and apparently it was slightly open and that could of causes it for me. I read on a forum earlier saying wait for it to be a hot day and open ur housing letting the air flow better and then seal the cap back on or drive around for 5-15 min and let the heat from the engine flow in there and that will fix it and then seal it shut right after.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Changing the lights will not cure the problem as its to do with the way they are designed. i am very surprised they changed them as there are many examples of this and the general response is its normal for many to experience it. Your chum did not get it as he does not drive and store the car in the same places and conditions you do with yours. If you swapped cars with him likely as not you would have the same issue.

James75

Go Kart Champion
If I was at the dealers - I'd put one of their Golf's next to you, hose the front of both cars and see what happens. If this is 'normal' - then fine, at least you'd know and you can make some decisions from there.

I am tempted to say, this is normal... But this probably doesn't help peoples long terms fears and i appreciate that.

James

crzyskimer93

Ready to race!
Changing the lights will not cure the problem as its to do with the way they are designed. i am very surprised they changed them as there are many examples of this and the general response is its normal for many to experience it. Your chum did not get it as he does not drive and store the car in the same places and conditions you do with yours. If you swapped cars with him likely as not you would have the same issue.

I also heard its the lighting package cars that get it, not the ones with standard halogen lights

mal101

Yep you may be right. I discussed this with my dealer, they tried new lights as I left my car with the dealer parked next to the rest of the cars including a GTD an in the morning hey presto mine was full of moisture and the others cars were fine so they gave new lights a go. Don't know why my car is effected but the others didn't seem to be.

crzyskimer93

Ready to race!
Yep you may be right. I discussed this with my dealer, they tried new lights as I left my car with the dealer parked next to the rest of the cars including a GTD an in the morning hey presto mine was full of moisture and the others cars were fine so they gave new lights a go. Don't know why my car is effected but the others didn't seem to be.

May I ask the conditions your car went through that evening, heavy rain fall, cold front, snow. Etc. I'll keep a eye on mine judging the same conditions as you reply