GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grambles Crossroads (House Building Thread)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
209k Man that's not bad at all... I could just buy the whole damn thing and not have a mortgage... but instead I don't even have money for a downpayment here :( sigh

I gotta move.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
209k Man that's not bad at all... I could just buy the whole damn thing and not have a mortgage... but instead I don't even have money for a downpayment here :( sigh

I gotta move.

Do it! No thinking about it. What do you do for a living?

The south is where it's at. Minus the weather. :)

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

I gotta move.

You have $209k+ sitting in a pile and won't even buy a used M3? :thumbdown: :mad0259: :thumbdown:

There are a lot of fairly affordable places to live that are pretty nice in this country. AL is actually great, there are nice mountainous regions, very woodsie and nice parks. My town is nice too, although there are a lot of pretentious folks around and it's a little yuppie for me.

Right now I keep looking at Flagstaff, AZ as a place to move.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'll be honest, Alabama will surprise A LOT of people. I live in Chelsea, AL 15mins outside of Birmingham and its gorgeous. Rural with a touch of suburbia, but close enough to enjoy what the city has to offer.

Huntsville is amazing as well as Auburn. We were actually dead set on Auburn (Voted one of the top places to live in the US) once I got my job offer from APR, but due to my wife's job offer herself, we decided it was best to remain here in Birmingham.

Standard of living is low. Mediocre sales tax ~8-9%. Slow, calm, and very laid back sort of living. Southern hospitality at its finest. Its when you hit the very rural spots that you get the cream of the crop of BAMA.

Also, you must decide between Alabama and Auburn football teams if you live here and assimilate into the SEC culture. We love our football.

VAGlover1

Ready to race!
I'll be honest, Alabama will surprise A LOT of people. I live in Chelsea, AL 15mins outside of Birmingham and its gorgeous. Rural with a touch of suburbia, but close enough to enjoy what the city has to offer.

Huntsville is amazing as well as Auburn. We were actually dead set on Auburn (Voted one of the top places to live in the US) once I got my job offer from APR, but due to my wife's job offer herself, we decided it was best to remain here in Birmingham.

Standard of living is low. Mediocre sales tax ~8-9%. Slow, calm, and very laid back sort of living. Southern hospitality at its finest. Its when you hit the very rural spots that you get the cream of the crop of BAMA.

Also, you must decide between Alabama and Auburn football teams if you live here and assimilate into the SEC culture. We love our football.

Somewhat similar to the Virginia living, albeit there isn't an alcohol tax in VA, there's annual personal property tax on your car and there's stricter emissions rules for annual vehicle inspections in VA (no catless dp allowed in VA). Rural suburbia living is nice just outside main cities like Richmond, but nothing in AL compares to VA big cities like Arlington/Alexandria, Virginia Beach, and Norfolk.

In VA, like AL, you're either rooting for the Hokies or the Cavaliers, butbthat rivalry has got nothing on the rivalry between AU and UA.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 GolfR, 19 911 GTS

Sounds almost perfect for when I can detach enough and fully work remote.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

A lot of the guys on the west coast like to trash on places they've never been and assume it's bad because the houses aren't $1.8 mill... Cali does have a great climate and a beautiful landscape, but I'd live in Alabama all day long to avoid that congested mess. I'd honestly look at it for my next move, I want to get into a smaller city.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
wow, only $209K for all that.. shit son. location, location, location.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
A lot of the guys on the west coast like to trash on places they've never been and assume it's bad because the houses aren't $1.8 mill... Cali does have a great climate and a beautiful landscape, but I'd live in Alabama all day long to avoid that congested mess. I'd honestly look at it for my next move, I want to get into a smaller city.

:D Come on down. We'd be happy to have you!

Its all about standard of living. Cali, you pay more for everything....but you make more.

$100K in Cali is cheap. $100K in Bama is upper echelon.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
We also have:

Talledega (NASCAR and Grand Prix Track)
Barber
OEM + Suppliers Galore
Smokies (1/2 Day Drive)
Beach (1/4 Day Drive)
Football........loads of football
BHM Intl Airport HUB
List goes on and on and on.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Talladega is absolutely without a doubt the best place to see a NASCAR race and I've been to pretty much all of them. And by see a race I mean have an epic party and see some of the most hilarious people ever.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Do it! No thinking about it. What do you do for a living?

The south is where it's at. Minus the weather. :)

I am a finance manager for a Fortune 50 corp.. but to be honest I don't make that much money, I am just fairly frugal when it comes to a lot of things. As you can tell by me driving the TDI :laugh: Although I have to say it wasn't one of my most sensible purchases.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I am a finance manager for a Fortune 50 corp.. but to be honest I don't make that much money, I am just fairly frugal when it comes to a lot of things. As you can tell by me driving the TDI :laugh: Although I have to say it wasn't one of my most sensible purchases.

Lots of business stuff here in downtown BHAM. Its a HUB for some HQ's for various companies.

:D

VAGlover1

Ready to race!
We also have:

Talledega (NASCAR and Grand Prix Track)
Barber
OEM + Suppliers Galore
Smokies (1/2 Day Drive)
Beach (1/4 Day Drive)
Football........loads of football
BHM Intl Airport HUB
List goes on and on and on.

Birthplace of the Civil Rights Movement, great food, world's best bbq, hospitality (except if you're a Yankee...I keed...), can go catless ;-), AT starts in the Smokies, NASA (regret not going to space camp when I was a young lad), fast growing economy (really!), Birmingham Cars and Coffee, and more...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2