GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MazdaSpeed 3

chervil475

I had an awesome experience test driving the Mazdaspeed 3. It is quick, sporty and has a sharp interior/exteror. The price is very attractive as well. However, I wasn't very impressed with the craftsmanship. Panels sound hollow, the plastic in the car sounds cheap when you flick it. I didn't like the cheap looking door sill insert that says MazdaSpeed 3. It reminded me of a beer can turned inside out. Lot's of rattles when driving it. I know for a fact that Mazda had suffered in quality and craftsmanship since Ford bought them. But everyone has their own opinion. The GTI feels solid comapred to the MS3. The doors are heavier, the car feels tighter, the dashboard and all plastic trim don't sound hollow when flicked. The GTI is built in Germany, the quality is there. The GTI is not as fast as the MS3 but I would rather give up a few ponies knowing that there are performance upgrades out there that would make it comparable than to get a car that is pretty much hooked up and not have the quality I am looking for.

HiveMind

Event Horizon
Car(s)
CW 2006 GTI
GUYS!!!

Are we honestly comparing this car:

to this one?:

End this thread immediately. There is jsut no comparison here :thumbsup:

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
oh shit i just sneezed... i must be allergic to ignorance. you sound like just another manufacturer fanboy. grow up, respect other vehicles and their performance for what they are.

mwilkie_75

At the end of the day its a nice 4-door hatch. I have a two door hatch and like it more. I do not race all day long, and its just a tick faster. There is going to be faster cars on the road, but buy and drive what you like. Euro cars are more feel, and grace. Jap cars are cost-less at what expense? I feel good with my choice.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
I saw one for the first time in person the other day...I thought it was pretty ugly. But then again the only hatch I really have ever liked is the GTI.

dajebus

speed 3

yea it's a good car. i test drove it before i got my rabbit and it felt good! very nimble and fast as anything.

what i did not like about it is the looks and around here, only girls have 3's.

it's sad to say but i have yet to see and dude in a 3. i do see a lot of guys in speed 6's tho.

dajebus

HiveMind

Event Horizon
Car(s)
CW 2006 GTI
oh shit i just sneezed... i must be allergic to ignorance. you sound like just another manufacturer fanboy. grow up, respect other vehicles and their performance for what they are.

I don't think it's ignorance captain assumption. I owned a mazdaspeed protege back in 03 and it was a good car minus:

-sub-par interior
-diverter valve sounded like crap when intake was installed
-didn't have side-airbags (so when the car got totalled I broke my collar bone because I had no protection there)
-no ESP or traction control for winter driving

The GTI definitely owns both that car, and the mazdaspeed 3 on the above points. AND on top of that, the GTI doesn't look like a freaking pile. AND this is my first non-jap vehicle, so my opinions don't stem from some massive loyalty to VW.

So go and edit your post.

rdgtivr6

Honda Slayer
Car(s)
MyFast
I drove it. didnt like it. I felt seperated from the road. Horrible feed back in the steering. Car doesnt feel fast until you punch it. didnt get a chance to toss it around in the turns.

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
GUYS!!!

Are we honestly comparing this car:

to this one?:

End this thread immediately. There is jsut no comparison here :thumbsup:

Word!

My cousin has Mazda 3, and drools over the Speed 3. He says he will smoke me when he trades his gofor one.

Do I care? I drive a VW. Not a Ford (<--Mazda)....
My car was made in Wolfsburg, Germany....Not Hiroshima, Japan.

:thumbsup:

NorthernDubber

Ready to race!
I don't think it's ignorance captain assumption. I owned a mazdaspeed protege back in 03 and it was a good car minus:

-sub-par interior
-diverter valve sounded like crap when intake was installed
-didn't have side-airbags (so when the car got totalled I broke my collar bone because I had no protection there)
-no ESP or traction control for winter driving

The GTI definitely owns both that car, and the mazdaspeed 3 on the above points. AND on top of that, the GTI doesn't look like a freaking pile. AND this is my first non-jap vehicle, so my opinions don't stem from some massive loyalty to VW.

So go and edit your post.

When the car got totalled reads an aweful lot like "when I totalled the car" to me.
and while this may not be the case with you, just a heads up; if you're driving like a douche bag you deserve what you get.
there's a time and place for "spirited driving".

HiveMind

Event Horizon
Car(s)
CW 2006 GTI
When the car got totalled reads an aweful lot like "when I totalled the car" to me.
and while this may not be the case with you, just a heads up; if you're driving like a douche bag you deserve what you get.
there's a time and place for "spirited driving".

Holy shit, it's like an epidemic here. Again, good job on making huge leaps of judgement without having any clue as to what actually happened.

I was driving to school on the freeway after we had an ice storm. I was going 40mph on a 65mph road (which pretty much everyone else was doing) on the left lane, and as the road curved I hit an ice patch that was crossing the emergency lane onto the road. My front left tire lost traction but my rear ones still had it so it sent me smashing into the left-hand curb. The vehicle slid across the whole thing did a violent turn to the right as it was deflected, and stopped completely in the middle lane sideways. Then a humongous Volvo semi came and t-boned the car, which caused it to spin, knock me unconcious, and broke my colar bone prolly due to the fact that there was no side airbag and I hit the side windshield and hard plastic panel upon impact.

So far on these forums I haven't made claims that I personally can't back up. That just isn't my style. It's too bad so many people here have a hard time giving people credit just because they are newer.

PS: The GTI is still much better than the Masdaspeed 3 minus the horsepower.

camoe

Word!

My cousin has Mazda 3, and drools over the Speed 3. He says he will smoke me when he trades his gofor one.

Do I care? I drive a VW. Not a Ford (<--Mazda)....
My car was made in Wolfsburg, Germany....Not Hiroshima, Japan.

:thumbsup:

STOP the madness about this Hiroshima thing. How's this...I own two cars, one made in Wolfsburg (GTI) and one made in Hiroshima (MazdaSpeed MX-5). Both are great driving cars. The MX-5 is so damn reliable and handles so well...it puts most other cars to shame and it's built for track straight outta the box.

I sometimes stand in my garage pondering which car to drive at times. For power, I'll take the GTI. For handling, I'll take the MX-5 which will blow the GTI away and will have less maintenance issues.

Point is, there are both fun to drive cars that are well built in their respective countries. To say Mazda's Hiroshima plant does not make good cars is silly. Mazda has more cars racing in the US any given weekend than any other manufacturer and looks like it will continue that trend for years.

I like to think that I get to drive two of the funnest (I know...it's not a word) cars around and both cars are gray and black so I look good as well...;)

Peace