GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power supply for auxiliary devices.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
A couple of months ago, Vidman2 posted an excellent tutorial over on Volkswagen-Audi on how to set up a three-way power socket from the fuse-board to dash top for running Satnav, Dashcam etc.

I need to power my Garmin satnav - in previous cars including my Golf Mk6, this was quite simple using an extending USB->Mini USB cable from the dash-mounted power socket.

On the Golf Mk7, someone on the design team has sited the 12v socket in what I consider to be the oddest of locations, and thus not very practical for any dash-top devices. I'd like to set up a semi-permanent power source for my Satnav - the options as I see them are either ... ...
  • A single mini USB cable run from the fuse-board similar to Vidman's tute, or ...
  • A USB->Mini USB cable run from the 12v socket to the dash-top.
I prefer the second option as I don't really wish to fiddle with the car's electrics, not knowing the first thing about auto electrics.

What I would like to do is run the commercial USB->Mini USB cable from the power socket under the centre console and dashboard giving me a dash-top cable routed similar to the way Vidman did. Members have linked to various workshop manuals on other topics - I'm looking to gain access under the centre console, can anyone point to to guidance how to remove the console to route my cable?

I'm also open to alternative suggestions? :confused:

Last edited:

stevep1041

Hi, I had a similar problem with my Tomtom sat Nav, but they produce small black circular self adhesive cable clips. I bought a pack of six cheaply from eBay and spaced them down and along the centre console on the passenger side. When I use the sat Nav the cable fits snugly along the console and any spare tucks down beside the passenger seat. It's neat, tidy and convenient

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Steve - that was my original plan and I already have a pack of those - I may do that and then run the cable under the dash to the driver's side and then along the top to avoid a cable hanging down the front of the dash.

I take it that Volkswagen just assume that everyone who wants to navigate will buy their over-priced and under-specified satnavs, as the positioning of the power socket is so ridiculously impractical where it is.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I find the position of the power outlet totally practical myself for use with my laptop.

Its also close enough for anybody in the rear seats that needs to power equipment.

I have the Discover Sat Nav, its a great bit of kit, and good value as part of the GT spec. I would not personally go back to using the old plug-in stuff myself.

The Discover Pro Nav is far too expensive at an upgrade of £1100 ? but its only an option.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
The Discover satnav is fine if you have the GT which for some reason is the only Golf model with satnav as standard, but for every other model, the satnav prices are in my opinion somewhat excessive. For reasons stated before I prefer the convenience of a standalone satnav which if of the spec I have is is more versatile than the built in ones, easier to update and can be used in other vehicles, plus can even be pre-programmed from a Mac/PC.

I had an RNS510 satnav in my Golf Mk6 but hardly used it as it was way inferior to my Garmin.

That aside as per my original post, the problem remains powering it considering the awkward position of the power socket.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I've just had a thought - presumably power is supplied via the MDI port in the front of the centre console. I have a USB MDI lead, I wonder if I could power the satnav from that?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I've just had a thought - presumably power is supplied via the MDI port in the front of the centre console. I have a USB MDI lead, I wonder if I could power the satnav from that?

You should certainly be able to charge the device, the book does say what the output current is from the usb, when I used the TT in my previous cars, it would run for 3-4hrs off a full charge, most of my journey's were 2hrs and to be fair I didn't need the device on for the whole of the journey.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I'll try connecting the two tomorrow.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Well, back to the drawing board ... ... ...

I have no idea why, but the Garmin satnav will not take power from the MDI->USB lead - any ideas why? :confused:

I guess that unless I rig up something taking power direct from the car's fuse-board as in Vidman's thread, my only option is to draw from the ridiculously sited 12v lighter socket.

There - my first Golf Mk7 complaint - the power socket is in a damned stupid place! :mad:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I'll try it with others, I've got an old Android phone I keep in the car for emergencies for example. Could be a duff lead of course - I was very surprised to get no power from it. I'd normally expect the Garmin unit to power up as soon as I plugged it into a power cable, but it didn't. Didn't think to try another powered device.

Could the power to the MDI be turned off - I'm not aware of any settings in the infotainment menu?

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I tried the android phone on the MDI lead, it worked fine, so there's clearly power coming through. I wonder why it won't supply the Garmin satnav as both use the same type of USB->Mini USB cable.

The Garmin works fine from the standard 12V power socket, is it possible that the voltage via the MDI lead is lower - does anyone know?

In any case, back to the original plan of either taking power from the 12V socket or direct from the fuse-board. I'm inclined to the former pro-tem as I need to use the satnav next Saturday, but in the medium term I think a more permanent solution internally wired is the preferable.

Unless of course someone can come up with a better solution for an idiot whose knowledge of electricity is limited to knowing the positive and negative ends of an AA battery.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
That would probably explain it then - many thanks.

Wolksvagen

Banned
Well, back to the drawing board ... ... ...

I have no idea why, but the Garmin satnav will not take power from the MDI->USB lead - any ideas why? :confused:

I guess that unless I rig up something taking power direct from the car's fuse-board as in Vidman's thread, my only option is to draw from the ridiculously sited 12v lighter socket.

There - my first Golf Mk7 complaint - the power socket is in a damned stupid place! :mad:

Here's an idea and this is genius, run the Garmin from the boot 12v power supply and suction cup the Garmin to the rear window....

Viola! Sat nav in your rear view mirror!!!