GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Was modding your car worth it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 137012
  • Start date

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Lesson here is, OP, move somewhere cheap if you can and buy a house, then mod away. I currently rent an 800 sq/ft apt for $840 a month with my own personal 2 car garage included in that cost. That is insane to me that people can afford to pay that for such a small unit

Im tired of just throwing away money every month. At least when I buy a house and put less in savings each month, I still have that "money", just in the form of walls and such.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
Lesson here is, OP, move somewhere cheap if you can and buy a house, then mod away. I currently rent an 800 sq/ft apt for $840 a month with my own personal 2 car garage included in that cost. That is insane to me that people can afford to pay that for such a small unit

Im tired of just throwing away money every month. At least when I buy a house and put less in savings each month, I still have that "money", just in the form of walls and such.

Im jealous man. Would probably cost me $2500 a month for that. RIP me.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
For only $950 to have a full bolt on piggyback car...yes. Spending $4000,5000,6000 plus in mods not so much motivated to do myself. Great way to be way upside down in a car imo...

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Totally! It is fun to improve upon something and provides huge benefits. Some mods are so inexpensive and yet continue to please. Replacing door checks is like $30, and the swing positions of doors they way they came suck big time. Audi B6 headrests for the rear rather then those big headrest that look huge compared to what it should look like. Suspension and engine mods, going from 210 HP to 300HP for $750 and a downpipe, wow. What a huge percentage increase. Mounts to tame wheel hop, and on and on. Soundproofing in the rear is cheap and you will enjoy everytime you go on a long freeway cruise.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
For only $950 to have a full bolt on piggyback car...yes. Spending $4000,5000,6000 plus in mods not so much motivated to do myself. Great way to be way upside down in a car imo...

Mods should not be affecting your loan (or other debts) or your expected resale value.

If either of those things are affected, you're doing it wrong.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
One piece of advice I would give is...

GO STRAIGHT TO STAGE 2. Get a downpipe and go stage 2.

But I feel you haha - I've even been thinking of buying an IS38....

I need to stop soon and start saving up for a house. But just lol @ my generation buying a place around here. 700sqft condos going for 700k...

1. Good advice, thats what I plan on doing as well.

2. Around me a 700 sqft house just sold for 1,000,000. A 1,500 sqft house where a murder happened sold for 1.2 million lol

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
1. Good advice, thats what I plan on doing as well.

2. Around me a 700 sqft house just sold for 1,000,000. A 1,500 sqft house where a murder happened sold for 1.2 million lol

LA & NYC ... the only places more expensive then Toronto lmao I swear. Shit is wild.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
LA & NYC ... the only places more expensive then Toronto lmao I swear. Shit is wild.

Yeah it's one reason I hate LA. It's stupid expensive

HicBuda

Ready to race!
I hate to say this... Know what you are going for very clearly. I see two paths-

1. I want a VAG rod built by me for me and the GTI is the perfect platform for that and I'll take my chances. Tons of aftermarket etc. I shall not find myself wanting more like LSD's or other 3-5k parts endeavors.

2. I like POWAH and the GTI seems like it can get me to that point at a good price leaving money for big mods. One should visit the age old question that pisses me off as much as anybody else on forums: Should I just get an R?

I am not a proponent of that rhetorical,often, assholish question, but it should be a consideration prior to getting a car you are going to risk big dollars on doing what are considered safe mods.
Your mileage will definitely vary, but I've played R.roulette enough times modding "safely" that I finally pulled trigger where the chamber wasn't empty on a car that I loved more than most I've had.

jmal2005

Ready to race!
HELL YES.

First car I'm making changes to (i'm 23, first time I have $$$)

So far I've done...

JB4
Conti Extreme Sports (235/18)
Rotiform RSE's (18x8.5 et 45)
Emanuelle Design Springs
& Getting my car Paint corrected and Ceramic Coated next week

All the above cost about $3000 CAD total.

Best $3000 I've spent hehe. Nothing puts a smile on my face more. Shit is expensive though... I'm already thinking of getting an IC & DP.

How are you liking the ED springs? I'm thinking that's my next mod :cool:

MK7.5_Roa

Ready to race!
It is so worth it to mod your car because you differentiate it from the general population and make it yours. My first mod was tires, I got Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3+’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
How are you liking the ED springs? I'm thinking that's my next mod :cool:

I've only driven on them for like 4 days so far but my consensus right now is they are perfect.

Was worried about them being too low for a DD but I've survived these horrible Toronto roads without a single issue so far. As well as crazy steep on/off ramps, no issues. You could even go lower TBH.

The first time I drove in them I found them a TINY TINY bit more bouncy when road had bumps, but I feel like I was overly conscious of it.

My girlfriend and best friend have both driven in my car and somehow both told me it feels "smoother". Which is BS but just shows it really is pretty much like stock.

10/10 would buy again. So happy I went with ED over DG Springs.Would have instantly regretted it as its not nearly low enough.