GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Was modding your car worth it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 137012
  • Start date

TroyI

Ready to race!
This is very much the same with me. The act of installing new parts and tuning the car to more closely match my tastes is the most satisfying part about this.

Kind of reminds me of when I used to play with legos as a kid. Except this one is a lot more frustrating at times, and can cost me thousands if i mess it up.

Never thought of it that way, but that's right.

Every car I've had, I think. "if a guy with the exact same car pulls up next to me, I want to look different and be a bit faster."

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Absolutely worth it for me. For just the cost of software and tires im able to own a car the performs like a car thats $10-15k more.

This is the third VAG car I have done work to and will do it again with the next.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I've been in the boat where I spent tons of money on mods on previous cars. Thinking back...I would not do it again...maybe.:D

For my current GTI...I'm just doing some minor mods.

Engine: plug in box for a bit of extra pep, Autotech intake
Suspension: Bilstein coilovers + wheel spacers
Exterior: Mk7 led tail lights + Burger exhaust tips

All done in the first four months of owning the car. Coilovers were the first thing I did at ~800 miles.

I'll probably get some other small nick nacks in the future...but this is it for a while.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Everytime I dig in to 100% throttle in second gear then shift to third until about 6500RPM, yes it was absolutely worth it. Even though I sold my AWE since it was too loud, I still feel it was all worth it.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Absolutely worth it to me to upgrade the stock suspension and wheels I didn’t like, and bump up the power a tad with a JB1. I truly enjoy having the ability to completely transform the way the car handles and have a sense of accomplishment by doing work myself. Additional money of course, but it’s a hobby, and hobbies cost money.

Biggest drawback for me is actually hearing creaks and not being able to just roll into the dealer and have them deal with it. You end up kissing your warranty goodbye depending on what you do.

My advice would be to go in with a plan so you don’t end up with a Frankenstein. It can be really easy to just start tacking stuff on and then look back in a year and say “good lord, what the h*** have I done?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I had aftermarket exhaust, wheels & tires on my GTI and it brought a smile on my face everytime i drove it. It was all worth it.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
To me it’s like most hobbies. You keep throwing money at it because it’s fun and you appreciate it. You end up finding different excuses to buy more stuff.

And as someone mentioned above, the tinkering, DIY, aspect is a big reason also. I used to be in the air-cooled scene and VW has always had a long rich history of tinkering and DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I'm going to install an AWE track exhaust soon, then go APR stage 2 with TCU tune, Bilstein coils, Nuespeed wheels, and other goodies. I have to wait until warranty to tune (It's a stipulation by my parents, otherwise I'd do it after my first oil change.)

I can't wait to tune. You have to make the car your own, a GTI is a good car, but tuning can make it great. For many of us it's our passion, we love cars and performance. The buck doesn't stop at the dealer, it stops when we tell it to.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I'm going to install an AWE track exhaust soon, then go APR stage 2 with TCU tune, Bilstein coils, Nuespeed wheels, and other goodies. I have to wait until warranty to tune (It's a stipulation by my parents, otherwise I'd do it after my first oil change.)

I can't wait to tune. You have to make the car your own, a GTI is a good car, but tuning can make it great. For many of us it's our passion, we love cars and performance. The buck doesn't stop at the dealer, it stops when we tell it to.
I assume this means your parents bought the car for you / helped you out with the purchase? If so, you're a lucky bastard... You'll love this AWE track though. Ilike mine more and more every day

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I assume this means your parents bought the car for you / helped you out with the purchase? If so, you're a lucky bastard... You'll love this AWE track though. Ilike mine more and more every day

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes I'm 19 and I'm lucky enough that my parents bought me my GTI. I can't wait for that exhaust, should be this summer hopefully!

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

frailingbanjo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6MT
I got my '16 GTI SE MT a couple of months ago. My best friend is also my mechanic, and has a lift! Will do some tuning and mods once the powertrain warranty expires. It had 22k on the odometer when I bought it, and have already added 10k in the two months of ownership. Probably won't go past stage 1. Thinking either Unitronic or Cobb. Really enjoying it as stock.