• Thread starter Deleted member 137012
  • Start date

HappyHokie

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Former MK7 SE
APR Stage 2 and Downpipe after having the car about 2 weeks
Golf R intercooler
Various Cosmetic mods (7.5 tail lights, OBDeleven stuff, dynablink side markers)

100% worth it. Car is tame and practical when I want, and then puts a stupid grin on my face when I floor it. Any time I go through a tunnel, it makes it all worth it. Even something like the intercooler, which I know there are better options, but I got a good deal and it gave me a whole lot of confidence working on the car. Stripping off the front end, putting it back together with no extra bolts or parts laying around, and not getting a check engine light was extremely satisfying.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
A certain amount of time in any hobby is learning what not to do, like a pal spent his entire fortune (a couple of £1000) on a genuine rare model Fender Stratocaster guitar - then promptly took it to pieces. It was never really the same again, but I wouldn't criticise I also am interested in finding how and why things work. In some ways it's a as if to finish some kind of project is the goal, as on completion such projects are often quickly sold on in readiness for the next....

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Certain mods are, some you should think over.

My favourite that I've done:

1. Euro LED tail lights; They look so much better and add a measure of safety. Throw in deAutokey as well.

2. Blind spot mirrors; Easy to do and a fantastic help on freeways.

3. Lightweight wheels; Car feels so much more agile, and I never liked the Austin design.

Mods I somewhat regret:

Cat back. While it sounds great and looks great, I'm not necessarily sure it was 'worth' it. That said, it's been a long time since I heard a stock system from inside - so perhaps it may well be a good mod.

I've never done any power mods (tune, downpipe, etc.) because I think they're unnecessary, and are expensive in terms of upfront cost along with potential warranty headaches.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Absolutely worth it for me. And I've never really believed in "wasting" $ on a car with mods. Getting a deep discount on a 2017 model helped, as did VW buyback money. But it was a no brainer to unlock ~100whp with a software change.

+1 on having a plan though. Performance mods are a SLIPPERY slope.

I've only had my car about 7 weeks now. I thought the honeymoon period would have ended already. But I look forward to driving it every time I get in it. It has literally changed my commute from something I dread to something I (mostly) enjoy.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
HELL YES.

First car I'm making changes to (i'm 23, first time I have $$$)

So far I've done...

JB4
Conti Extreme Sports (235/18)
Rotiform RSE's (18x8.5 et 45)
Emanuelle Design Springs
& Getting my car Paint corrected and Ceramic Coated next week

All the above cost about $3000 CAD total.

Best $3000 I've spent hehe. Nothing puts a smile on my face more. Shit is expensive though... I'm already thinking of getting an IC & DP.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Absolutely. As a car enthusiast, I will never be happy with a car until it's *PERFECT*. There will never be such a thing as a "perfect" car from the factory. Not perfect for my needs. VWs are the closest to perfect from the factory (that I can afford). But they still require changes to bring them in line with my needs.

For a FWD Turbo car, these cars absolutely require upgraded mounts and tires in order to put the power down better. Lightweight wheels also make a massive difference over the heavy OEM cast wheels as far as overall nimbleness, and even with smoothness over inconsistencies in the road.

I like to hear my turbo, so I got an open cone intake. Didn't do it for power, did it for the sound. 10/10 would do again.
I'd like my car to have a more throaty gurgle above ~2.5K RPM, so the 034 Res delete i installed was also a very good investment.

Music is very important to me, and the Helix upgrade for non-Fender models is a higher quality system than Fender, so the Helix upgrade is also a must for me (I have an S model).

My next moves are Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU, carbon cleaning (not a mod, I realize), coilovers or a good comfort oriented spring/shock setup, and upgraded pads/rotors. My car is already almost perfect, but my suspension is getting old and, as the end of my warranty nears, the allure of better throttle response, highway gas mileage, and more available power is irresistible. I honestly wouldn't even get the tune if the DSG had shorter gears. But the length of the gears on the DSG really neuters the power delivery on untuned GTIs.

So far, I'm only looking at ~2.5K in mods (wheels/tires, mounts, intake, resonator delete), and I've gotta say it was some of the best 2.5K I've ever spent.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
HELL YES.

First car I'm making changes to (i'm 23, first time I have $$$)

So far I've done...

JB4
Conti Extreme Sports (235/18)
Rotiform RSE's (18x8.5 et 45)
Emanuelle Design Springs
& Getting my car Paint corrected and Ceramic Coated next week

All the above cost about $3000 CAD total.

Best $3000 I've spent hehe. Nothing puts a smile on my face more. Shit is expensive though... I'm already thinking of getting an IC & DP.

Aha, you and I are in the same boat. I'm 24, graduating in a few weeks, have my full time job lined up. Taking advantage of my 6 month grace period before loan payments kick in to get my mods in hahahaha

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Wanted new wheels only as the car came with 17"...

Somehow ended up with new wheels, tires, VWR springs, replica headlights, downpipe, JB4 and a custom sub box in 4 months of ownership... :D

Worth it? Yes. Someone take my wallet away before I get a new clutch, IC and IS38.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
Aha, you and I are in the same boat. I'm 24, graduating in a few weeks, have my full time job lined up. Taking advantage of my 6 month grace period before loan payments kick in to get my mods in hahahaha

One piece of advice I would give is...

GO STRAIGHT TO STAGE 2. Get a downpipe and go stage 2.

But I feel you haha - I've even been thinking of buying an IS38....

I need to stop soon and start saving up for a house. But just lol @ my generation buying a place around here. 700sqft condos going for 700k...

Jarbear

Ready to race!
I was bit by the bug withing a week of ownership. Since then it's been a slow downward spiral. I've even spent money on parts that I don't plan on installing for another year or so. I just see something I like or is on sale.

No regrets

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
One piece of advice I would give is...

GO STRAIGHT TO STAGE 2. Get a downpipe and go stage 2.

But I feel you haha - I've even been thinking of buying an IS38....

I need to stop soon and start saving up for a house. But just lol @ my generation buying a place around here. 700sqft condos going for 700k...

I'm house shopping currently and wow thats expensive. 700k can get a 5000 sqft mansion out by me

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion