GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which cars did you cross shop when buying your R?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Traded in my 2011 Miata that I used as a daily driver and track toy.

Grandkids and other reasons moved us to a need for more space, 4 door preferred, and the AWD helped because it would become our ski vehicle. Still wanted something that would be fun and practical day to day and as a track car.

Looked at Focus RS, WRX STi, and Audi TT. Couldn't get over the styling on either the Focus or TT, and the Golf just crushed the RS's interior. Overall I wanted a great daily driver with room that is fun on the track. The R just nailed it. The STi was close, but couldn't not get over the boy racer feel and style.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
doc I'm trying to picture your daily grind, I can't.:D

AR11

Ready to race!
If I get less excited about track days I'll probably downgrade to a subaru crosstrek

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
If I get less excited about track days I'll probably downgrade to a subaru crosstrek

They sure seem popular. They are the go-to for younger buyers here who don't want the sort of staid Outback or the wild-ass WRX/STI. Interesting techno-mech wheels, too.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
It is a fairly narrow category, especially in AWD, and double especially if you have more conservative tastes in exterior styling.

Completely agree! And tune only vs tune only there is no comparison, at least in U.S., period, I am however assuming we are talking dsg r.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Completely agree! And tune only vs tune only there is no comparison, at least in U.S., period, I am however assuming we are talking dsg r.

Mine's a manual, but yeah, if you're talking pure performance the DSG is the way to go. For me, a manual was a must, and that further narrowed the category when I was buying.

tax guy

Passed Driver's Ed
I considered the BMW 230, built one online for $40K, but it did not have all of the driver assists that the R has, and it did not have Apple Play. I ultimately decided to abandon BMW, which I have owned for years, and go back to Golf, R this time, because BMW does not import the 1 series. The 2 series coupe is just too small and difficult to load anything into it. So far, after less than one tank of gas, I am happy with my choice.

The last time I had a Golf was a 1995 4 door automatic. I hated it for its lame acceleration and that I sold my E30 318i for it so my wife and I could alternate cars so she would not exceed her leasing miles. I got rid of that 1995 Golf after about 3 years for a used Mercedes 300E, but eventually did go back to BMW 3 series. The Golf R is a whole different car compared to the 1995 Golf.

Thurnis

Ready to race!
Used Audi A7s are depreciating down to around 40k now. Would anyone consider that a better buy than a new R? Maybe with a tune or is it just too tame of a ride to be cross shopping?

Last edited:

tax guy

Passed Driver's Ed
Used Audi A7s are depreciating down to around 40k now. Would anyone consider that a better buy than a new R? Maybe with a tune or is it just too tame of a ride to be cross shopping?

An A7 is a very large and heavy car with expensive repairs as it ages. That is not what I was looking for.

Bvstp

Passed Driver's Ed
Shopped S3, WRX and Sti. Avoided the RS. Ugly, cheap interior and hate the big spoilers. Rough daily ride would be annoying. Civic Type R...hideous!
Got the Lapiz Blue R WITH THE 6 spd manual. Really wanted to get a stick again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gnosisdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Waiting for the 18's but only the Autobahn and I'm still not decided. DSS a must. Prefer the R but no sunroof here. Might come down to which model arrives first.

Bvstp

Passed Driver's Ed
Waiting for the 18's but only the Autobahn and I'm still not decided. DSS a must. Prefer the R but no sunroof here. Might come down to which model arrives first.

Also in the US. VW screwed us on a couple of things. But didn't deter me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cabra

Ready to race!
Anyone consider a BMW 435i xdrive gran coupe ?

Im considering upgrading from a MKV Gti to either a 1 year old Golf R or 2 year old BMW 435i xdrive gran coupe with M Sport package.

Anyone driven both and can offer a comparison ?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Anyone consider a BMW 435i xdrive gran coupe ?

Im considering upgrading from a MKV Gti to either a 1 year old Golf R or 2 year old BMW 435i xdrive gran coupe with M Sport package.

Anyone driven both and can offer a comparison ?

Not I, but there are some interesting videos on YouTube reviewing recent BMWs like the 335/435 and 340i in various configurations. Few seem to every compare them to the R, though; it's as if because it's a VW people just ignore it. Which is fine by me, most of the time.

The _general_ take on BMWs from the reviewers, commercial and private streamer types, is that the mainstream BMWs, that is the non-M versions, have somewhat dated interiors, numb steering, and overall good poise and good but not class-leading performance. YMMV, of course, and I haven't driven a BMW in nearly thirty years. From what I've read and watched (I'm curious about what my next car might be a few years from now) though, it does seem the damn R is pretty hard to beat all-around, if you ditch the impact of the prestige nameplate.