GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which cars did you cross shop when buying your R?

KO7

Ready to race!
Really only considered the 228i and the M235i at the time, other than the R.

The 228i costs more after optioned up, and down on power compared to the R. The M235i was out of my budget range, especially after being optioned up.

Had the Civic Type R been available or arriving soon at the time, I might've gone with that.
I miss Honda 6MT cars.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Really only considered the 228i and the M235i at the time, other than the R.

The 228i costs more after optioned up, and down on power compared to the R. The M235i was out of my budget range, especially after being optioned up.

Had the Civic Type R been available or arriving soon at the time, I might've gone with that.
I miss Honda 6MT cars.

I loved the transmission on my Integra GS-R (and for that matter, on my plain old 1987 Integra I had for seven years as well). Slick and precise. The Civic Type R's styling though kills it for me, totally /sadface.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Just curious, Al_in_Philly, but, um, do you sit in the back seat often, or is that for other folks' comfort?

Solely for when I drive friends around. I don't play chauffeur all that often, but if I'm going to have a back seat, I want a comfortable one for when I do. Unlike many of you, this is our only car (we live in a city where parking is at a premium) and it needs to be able to do a variety of tasks. The great thing about the R, is that while it might not be the very best at any one thing, it's very (sometimes amazingly) good at almost everything, rear seats included.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Solely for when I drive friends around. I don't play chauffeur all that often, but if I'm going to have a back seat, I want a comfortable one for when I do. Unlike many of you, this is our only car (we live in a city where parking is at a premium) and it needs to be able to do a variety of tasks. The great thing about the R, is that while it might not be the very best at any one thing, it's very (sometimes amazingly) good at almost everything, rear seats included.

Gotcha; thanks. I was sincerely curious, because I'm almost always in the car by myself. At work, we park in a satellite lot and shuttle in, and because peoples' schedules never match up there's never any going to lunch or other mid-day driving. My wife hates to ride with me driving (can't for the life of me understand why :)) and so if we go anywhere it's with her driving her SUV. So the only time the back seat is in use is when the dogs need to go somewhere and my wife can't do it.

My poodles have never complained about the back seat, I can say that.

And yes, this car's strength is its utter versatility. It's also one of its few weaknesses. I find that, while it is amazingly competent, it isn't quite as viscerally "fun" as some other cars I've had.

supesgolfr

Ready to race!
I think I'm the only one who cross-shopped the vehicles I did. I can see everyone on this thread cross-shopped the same vehicles except for the Duramax guy.

I cross shopped a Dodge Charger, Challenger and Infiniti Q50 Red Sport and Q60 red sport.

I eliminated the Dodge Charger based on size and 0-60 can't match a stage 2 Golf R. I used to have a Shelby GT500 and it was very expensive to get that to do well in the 0-60 with street tires, and it wouldn't have made sense to get a RWD Charger with even more challenges to become quick given it's so fat and heavy and half the power of my Shelby.

I eliminated the Challenger again because of size, and surprisingly the front seat touched my knees when I was in the back seat, which didn't happen in the Golf. Again, it would have been too expensive to get under 4s 0-60.

The Infinitis were interesting. The Red Sport is decent enough, but would have been very very difficult to mod to under 4s. They just aren't quick enough. Looks wise, I think they're pretty decent but I strongly believe they will not age well. The looks are too trendy and will therefore look outdated very quickly. A lot of the design elements don't look functional and look like copy-cat designs, therefore I think it will have that me-too look in 5-10 years time.

I didn't consider the STI because it came in manual only, I had to get automatic so the wife can drive it too. Plus that stupid looking wing is idiotic.

Now the Golf R isn't perfect, but it's the only car that can become near perfect. Unlike many of the other options, it can fit a trailer hitch while still looking good, and its design is simultaneously functional and handsome. The front fascia is just very simple and good looking - it will still look good in 20-30 years time. The only thing that I don't really like is the sound. I'm a V8 guy, and so I don't like the monotone sound of the 4 banger - it doesn't have the quality rumble of a V8.

mlambert

I drove a STI for 6 months before trading it in for the R. Not the best financial decision but I'm happier now.

Here are the reasons I made the trade:
-hatchback for my dog
-refined interior and tech
-more comfortable ride yet still firm in the corners
-easier shifting and lighter clutch
-more mature looks. My blue STI stuck out like a sore thumb...too flashy

And last but not least...my wife likes it better!

The STI was fun for sure but I don't miss it.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Focus RS was the only car i looked at and had a deposit on one buy backed out and went with the R. Came from a mk6 gti, RS is too stiff for daily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Cochise

Passed Driver's Ed
I met this girl on a plane when flying to Texas. She had a GTI. 2011 Audobahn DSG. She let me drive it and I fell in love. At the time I had an F150 FX4 ecoboost, amazing truck but I really missed the track from my Mustang days. So I shopped around and found a used-low mileage 2013 GTI Audobahn 6MT.

Fast forward a year and I bought my brothers 2015 GTI that he had to unload, he was expecting a baby.

Then fast forward 6 months.... when I'm about to tune the 2015 GTI along with some other fun track goodies when I realize the one mod I can't do to it is all wheel drive. So instead of tune it, I traded it in for an R (2016).

Was never interested in an STI. The Focus ST's were cool, and so is the RS but they are too 'racer boy' and the focus just feels so cheap. Just putting my hands on the steering wheel I can tell the difference in quality. I had always liked the GTI's since back in the early 2000's. VW was just always kinda expensive to me though. I'm super happy now and just ordered some suspension stuff. :)

Thinc2

My cross shopping is a bit odd - and I don't have an R yet but am ordering a 2018 as soon as the ordering sheet is available (which should be soon). Am already ion the list with the dealer.

I am downsizing to just one car (plus one motorcycle) for myself, from what is currently three cars: Daily driver (when not riding the bike) is a Q60 RWD, summer tires, Auto trans. Weekend car is a Gran Turismo - RWD, summer tires. Bad weather/winter car is a Ford Escape.

This obviously makes no sense and I am so out of garage space as the wife has her car as well. So I sold the Gran Turismo last week, and the Escape will become my daughter's car, leaving me with the Q60 until end of the year when the lease is up.

I want something I can drive year round and have just one car (!), I want a MT and it needs to be engaging and fun to drive. I also no longer want to worry about the car getting door dings etc (problem with the Maserati). BTW - the Masrati has been awesome.

So I cross shopped:

Abarth 124 - pretty fun, very affordable. I like how it looks. Fun car. But not year round practical for Seattle - just a little too small for the heavy,cold winter rains.

911 targa - came very close to going this route. there's a lot to love about this car - looks, handling etc. Eventually decided it's another car that needs to be cared for carefully, and it's not worth the extra $100K over the R.

Keeping the Q60. This was a real option with winter tires (and maybe with just all seasons). But changing tires is a hassle, and although RWD with all seasons is doable, it's still limiting. Plus I'm ready for something new, and my Q60 is not a manual. Other than that the Q60 is very good - comfortable, super reliable, handles well, great sound system, looks pretty good.

So that's the story of how I'm going to end up with one of the first 2018's to make their way to the PNW - it will be Lapiz blue with MT.

depth_charged

Ready to race!
Focus RS was the only car i looked at and had a deposit on one buy backed out and went with the R. Came from a mk6 gti, RS is too stiff for daily.

I had a Focus RS and got out of it and bought the GTI I have now.

The Golf GTI/R is a much better all around car, especially for the money where my lowly $25k GTI feels much more like a $40k car than the RS did. I found the RS to be abusive to drive daily and it doesn't truly have 350hp unless you are in 3rd.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
I previously drove a 2006 STI. I cross shopped the following:

16 STI - there wasn't much of a change from my 06 to justify buying another one. Same old engine.

Evo Final Edition - without the Recaro seats the interior is SO cheap. From the inside it felt like a 20k car.

Focus RS- Dealer markup and cheap interior. Just couldn't see myself paying 40k for a focus.

Mustang GT - like the engine, but again the inside felt cheap. Also poor visibility/blind spots.

Nismo 370Z - overall pretty nice car. Best in the looks department. Power delivery was meh.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
09-13 Subaru WRX Hatchback

I feel like everyone has said the same, but my options were:

2014/15 BMW m235i Manual - None available
2009-2013 - BMW E92 M3 Coupe - All DCT, thrashed or a convertible.
Ford Focus RS - The dealership in my area started a bidding war for the ones they had. Starting bid was $52,000. Also, not too keen on the interior.

I ended up getting my 2017 Golf R for $4,000 less than MSRP and I couldn't be happier!

For context my last car was a 2010 Subaru WRX.

Last edited: