GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which cars did you cross shop when buying your R?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I find it hilarious that many places have Ford dealers gouging on the RS. Here, the dealer got one in...and it sat there at list price for, what, a month or so? Dunno if they ever even sold it.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I find it hilarious that many places have Ford dealers gouging on the RS. Here, the dealer got one in...and it sat there at list price for, what, a month or so? Dunno if they ever even sold it.
One i had a deposit one they offered msrp, another dealer said hey youre getting a R for good price how about min 1k under msrp for the RS. Dealers are starting to play on them now. First ford dealer has 1 of every color RS in at msrp and hasnt sold one yet including the one i had a deposit on 3 months ago. They even saif they wont sell it without their 1800 winter protect pack on it lol. Needless to say they are way over hyped and priced and im 10000000% glad i got the R over the RS. Plus all the horror stories i hear on stuff failing on the RS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

annoyingmouse

I'm currently looking at, in this order:

1. 2018 mk7.5 Golf R

I've been a big VW golf fanboy since the mk5 gti came out, yet I've never owned one. I test drove a Golf R, and it was huge inside, small outside, refined and fun to drive.

2. Keeping the Cooper for another year or so

This car is fun to drive, and quite small, but it also rides hard, has a lot of tire roar, and is as small inside as out.

3. Audi b8.5 S4\S5

Ever since the B9s came out, I've seen a lot of surprisingly low milage last gen S4s on sale in the low 30 grand range. The car is bigger than I like, and finding the right used car is a PITA.

4. Audi B9 allroad

I've been a A4 avant fan for quite a while, but some features I want are at the top of the most expensive trim. Quite frankly, I can't afford one anytime soon without financing.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I'm currently looking at, in this order:

1. 2018 mk7.5 Golf R

I've been a big VW golf fanboy since the mk5 gti came out, yet I've never owned one. I test drove a Golf R, and it was huge inside, small outside, refined and fun to drive.

2. Keeping the Cooper for another year or so

This car is fun to drive, and quite small, but it also rides hard, has a lot of tire roar, and is as small inside as out.

3. Audi b8.5 S4\S5

Ever since the B9s came out, I've seen a lot of surprisingly low milage last gen S4s on sale in the low 30 grand range. The car is bigger than I like, and finding the right used car is a PITA.

4. Audi B9 allroad

I've been a A4 avant fan for quite a while, but some features I want are at the top of the most expensive trim. Quite frankly, I can't afford one anytime soon without financing.
7.5 R hands down. 7 speed dsg ??

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I haven't had much luck googling so far, but I'm wondering how tall the top gear is on the new 7 speed. The 6 seems to run a fairly high RPM at highway speed.
2900rpm at 70mph in my 17, which is the same as my 11 gti

HMCS JK

Chevy SS - couldn't find a manual when I was shopping, plus I missed the 20% sale.

Charger SRT 392 - SRT pages and the Uconnect system are quite nice, but it requires premium and i'd probably get 15 mpg.

Infiniti Q50 Red sport - almost leased this until I found out VA charges sales tax for the full purchase price rather than the leased portion. Passed purely on principle.

CPO Lexus GS350 - I couldn't find one I liked so I never drove one.

JGC 5.7 - wife hated it.

Dodge Durango R/T - nice but a little too big. Would have been great for road trips!

Toyota 4Runner - wife's 1st choice but I couldn't get over how dated it was on the inside. If Toyota had put the new Taco drivetrain and interior in this, I might be writing on a different forum.

VW Tiguan - wife's 2nd choice but just like the 4Runner, i couldn't get over how dated it was on the inside.

CPO Audi allroad - maybe we're crazy but my wife and I swear the Golf has more rear legroom. But otherwise nice, almost makes me wish I'd waited for the new one.

B9 A4 - 7 spd DSG is nice, not sure what the differences are between this engine and the R's (besides 40 hp), but I decided I wanted a hatch this time.

GTI Sport - this is what we ultimately settled on, thinking we'd get a bigger car in a few years if the need arose. But then we moved to a ski resort and the local PD recommended AWD.

So that's how I ended up with my 17 R [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Nothing, knew exactly what I wanted, for me there is not a worthwhile competitor in the "hot hatch" segment, just my opinion though :)

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Nothing, knew exactly what I wanted, for me there is not a worthwhile competitor in the "hot hatch" segment, just my opinion though :)

It is a fairly narrow category, especially in AWD, and double especially if you have more conservative tastes in exterior styling.

Lstorm2003

Passed Driver's Ed
Lately I've been thinking about the Mercedes CLA 45 AMG.

They are not too bad if you pick one up that's 2 or 3 years old.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I've heard differing views on used Mercedes lately, but that's true for most cars I guess. Around here, though, they don't sell many performance models of, well, anything, really. You see a few S4s, a handful of M-type BMWs, and I don't think I've ever seen an AMG of any breed. Usually people up here lease pokey four-cylinder models of everything and hope no one notices that their German autobahn cruiser is slower than dudebro's WRX over there.

brennok

Ready to race!
S3 - too small inside and same car as Golf R in sedan form but Audi price.

M235i - liked the car but not the price. I was curious about the Xdrive model and couldn't find one to test drive. It probably would have been my fall back car had I not picked up the Golf R when I finally did.

S4 - It was a heavily discounted new 2015 with everything I wanted and right color. It was too big and still more than I wanted to spend. It was gone when I thought I would see what deal they might deal on it.

This was it. I can't drive manual anymore due to a bad knee so had to have a good auto preferably DCT. I wanted AWD and something small, but quicker than my 2008 R32. It still had to serve as a daily and only driver though so needed the ability to make Costco runs.

Size seemed to be the biggest factor which eliminated models followed by AWD. I always liked how the Challenger and Charger potentially looked, but not the size so many vehicles got ruled out without even test driving them once I sat inside.

MK_7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Was getting rid of my Evo X, wanted something with similar power, a bit of quality and AWD would have been a huge plus. Went in and test drove a GTI and left having paid a deposit on an R. If I am completely honest, I didn't even know the R existed until I googled best GTI ever the night before :)

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Size seemed to be the biggest factor which eliminated models followed by AWD. I always liked how the Challenger and Charger potentially looked, but not the size so many vehicles got ruled out without even test driving them once I sat inside.

Car size is a big thing for me, too. I like small cars, for the maneuverability, ease of parking, fitting in my not exactly capacious garage, and the general sense of _not_ navigating a land yacht (grew up in the sixties and seventies, had my fill of THAT).

One problem I've found is that in the USA at least, going up in quality/luxury has usually meant going up in size, too. High quality small cars are definitely not an American niche. This is sort of true in the German cars as well, though not to nearly the same extent. To get an appreciably nicer interior or appreciably more spiffy (spiffier?) accouterments than you can get in the R means going up a notch in physical size. The cars I look to as my aspirational "next car," things like the S4, the C43 AMG, or less likely a 340i or 440i xDrive, are all a bit bigger than I'd like.

doc2

traded a '16 Miata (track prepped) for a '17 R.

I had to decide between rejigging my whole setup (fun/track car with a truck as a daily) after having a couple more kids. My wife and I just had a second set of twins (4 kids under 2 years old...) So time to reevaluate automotive needs. Traded her Audi B8.5 allroad in for a new Sienna minivan. But I thought I could get a four door at least to help with the bigger kids.

Option set 1: keep truck and Miata, then upgrade the miata whenever that next new thing comes along (hello new '18 Supra!). Only problem with this is not getting to drive anything fun during a good amount of the year.

Option set 2: keep Miata, trade the truck for a 4 door fun/daily (like a Golf R). the daily needs AWD. because Nebraska winters... Downside is no truck for times when having a truck is very useful.

Option set 3: keep truck, trade Miata for fun/daily. downside, the Miata was tremendous on track with 2300lbs, Ohlins, Brembos, and sways.

Went with option 3.

just before the Miata, I had a '16 STi. So while I considered the '18 STi briefly (those new brakes!!!), I really wanted the DCC for ride comfort and the DSG for quickness. Evo kind of appealed, but never all that seriously.

Was close to waiting for the '18 RS3, but in the final analysis, I like having a car that I don't need to always be worried about (i.e. left outside sometimes, getting a door ding at the grocery store, etc..). Plus with the performance envelope just that much higher on the RS3, I thought the R might be a 'touch' more reliable. That could just be a crazy thought, but apples to apples, a higher performance/stressed power train will trade reliability for that performance.

Distant thoughts of a Focus RS, Mustang GT350 (or even just a GT), M2, M4, Fiat 500 Abarth never got much traction as many didn't actually suit my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk