GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

what annoys you about your mk7!

paddypool

Ready to race!
I agree. I had red light that illuminated my gear stick in my mk5 that I really liked.

love that lighting too. It's in the mk 6 ....some people think the white interior lighting in the mk7 buttons etc. is 'classier', not to me...it feels 'sterile' for want of a better word...

Musadin

Still waiting for delivery of my SE Mk7 1.4 TSI, but can the boot light be switched off? It can't in my Mk6 Golf. If it still can't, this would be a real niggle for me.

As for reversing lights, my Mk6 has only one reversing light and one fog light, is there now a pair of both? I see that previous posts mention 'reversing lights'.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Still waiting for delivery of my SE Mk7 1.4 TSI, but can the boot light be switched off? It can't in my Mk6 Golf. If it still can't, this would be a real niggle for me.

As for reversing lights, my Mk6 has only one reversing light and one fog light, is there now a pair of both? I see that previous posts mention 'reversing lights'.

Mk7 has one rear fog light and two narrow reversing lights..
I assume without physically checking the boot light still triggers from a sprung release switch when the tailgate opens.
I've got to ask !
Why is a boot light a real niggle ?

Musadin

I've got to ask !
Why is a boot light a real niggle ?
Because on my MK6 I can't switch it off when I want to keep the boot open for a long time. It switches off automatically after 15 minutes but there is no way you can shorten that time. On a Honda Civic I had, and on other models, there was a switch in the boot, there isn't in the Golf MK 6.

jimble1

Ready to race!
Because on my MK6 I can't switch it off when I want to keep the boot open for a long time. It switches off automatically after 15 minutes but there is no way you can shorten that time. On a Honda Civic I had, and on other models, there was a switch in the boot, there isn't in the Golf MK 6.

Why would you NEED it to turn off in less than 15 minutes?

Musadin

Why would you NEED it to turn off in less than 15 minutes?
Jimble, seems you don't quite grasp what I'm talking about. I'll see if I can help.

At boot sales I often have my boot open for well OVER 15 minutes, but for the initial 15 minutes the boot light is a drain on the battery and there is no way of turning it off.

Precisely. If desperate, why not fit your own isolation switch?
marvin, if you look at my initial question I simply asked if the boot light could be turned off on the Mk7, I wasn't asking for drastic solutions.

jimble1

Ready to race!
Jimble, seems you don't quite grasp what I'm talking about. I'll see if I can help.

At boot sales I often have my boot open for well OVER 15 minutes, but for the initial 15 minutes the boot light is a drain on the battery and there is no way of turning it off.

marvin, if you look at my initial question I simply asked if the boot light could be turned off on the Mk7, I wasn't asking for drastic solutions.

Fair enough, then no it can't be turned off.

marvin1

Ready to race!
I know you'll rubbish another idea of mine but you'll see most dealers of used cars have their cars outside with the hatches open to keep them aired and unless they disconnect the car's battery the alternative is to remove the bulb from the boot light on a temporary basis - I know it's a fiddle.
However, I don't think 15 mins of the boot light being on, before auto switch off is going to be a significant drain on a battery especially as you have presumably driven to your venues. Ok, then if you keep on having to close and open the hatch, that may prove a problem over the day.

Musadin

Thank you Marvin and Jimble. Removing the bulb is a bit drastic, but you are in good company. it's what my VW dealer suggested. Annoying because all it would really need is modification of the car's computer software.

daveb666

There's no way that a boot-light being on for 4-5 hours will cause your cars battery to run flat - not within the first 2-3 years anyway!
People worry about the most ridiculous things.

marvin1

Ready to race!
There's no way that a boot-light being on for 4-5 hours will cause your cars battery to run flat - not within the first 2-3 years anyway!
People worry about the most ridiculous things.

But it automatically switches off after 15 minutes anyway if left open and so I say there isn't a problem. I suppose none of us like to see lights on unnecessarily. Of course the radio behaves similarly in that if turned on when stationery and without the key in the ignition the radio also turns itself off after a predetermined time i.e ca 1 hour or less.