GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear suspension noise - are you affected?

Is your Mk7 Golf affected by rear suspension noise - Yes/No?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

baldybouncer

Im getting this! I thought it was just me.. or that maybe I had lost a rear wheel weight.. I was going to get them checked as I thought lately the car seems to "shake" a fair bit on smooth motorways.

Me too - having only had the car a few weeks - I always thought I heard a noise from the back but while listening for the source of a dashboard (passenger side) I heard what sounds like worn suspension on the back!!!

Car is due into the dealers as my touch screen is still playing up , the dash rattle and now by the sounds of it this issue!

Never had so much trouble with a VW!

WhiteVulpine

Ready to race!
The groaning, rubbing timber sound is EXACTLY why I am here. Funny thing is, this mk7 GTI is 6 months old with only 7k miles on it. My 2013 GTI had absolutely zero noise, until... I replaced the sways with Hotchkis 27mm and grease nib tipped clamps. After 3-5 months of driving on these I received the same noise as I am getting now. I had to grease the rubber links and the noise would go away.

I recommend pulling your metal clamps off, not the sides where it is bolted the two parts in the middle, and greasing it up a bit. Might be dry. I will attempt this when I get home tonight.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I don't know if you are talking about the same thing. The thread is referring to a clunk sound, definitely not a groan/rubbing sound.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

WhiteVulpine

Ready to race!
I don't know if you are talking about the same thing. The thread is referring to a clunk sound, definitely not a groan/rubbing sound.

Yep, there has been some back and forth between sounds and ideas to what is going on. I probably stepped in between the transition from the few posts I read and what the last few are working with now.

:)

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Fit Bilstein B4 Shock Absorbers to eliminate the rattle

I´m on my third set of oem absorbers now and still not happy. Should I get B4 or B6 absorbers?

Fit B4 as they are direct OEM replacements. If you fit B6 you may need to replace fronts as well.

www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk

Many of you may have read my story but for me its simple. If you have rear suspension noise then just fit Bilstein B4 as a direct OEM replacement. It was a complete waste of time using VW replacements as they are either poorly designed or poorly manufactured. Just look at how many owners have had more than one set of replacements and still have the noise. The problem with the VW parts is the piston rod has too much play inside the barrel of the shock absorber and creates a rattle as I have demonstrated in a YouTube video.

Do not waste your time by letting the dealer change like for like but get them to fit the Bilstein B4 as these are direct OEM replacements. VW has offered nothing but bullshit regarding there shock absorbers and appear to be in complete denial. You can fit B6 if you like but then you may be advised to change fronts as well. Whatever you do just forget fitting the VW shock absorbers unless VW can prove they have made radical manufacturing improvements in the past few months. Personally I would not risk fitting the VW replacements.

The cost in my case was £300 to purchase and fit 2 x B4 though you may find a better deal and that was in August 2015 and they have not let me down. Many other owners have fitted the B4's and have written to me reporting complete satisfaction.

Last edited:

Z27

Ready to race!
The problem with the VW parts is the piston rod has too much play inside the barrel of the shock absorber and creates a rattle as I have demonstrated in a YouTube video.

Thanks - just a quick question, what is a piston rod?

I have replaced my OEM dampers with Koni FSD and also experience the same rear suspension noise.

Do you mind posting the video link again please? I tried looking but couldn't find it.

mutant_matt

What is the length of time/mileage people are finding before the noise comes back?

I bought a November 2014 R in Jan (2016), and within days noticed the noise, and two weeks ago, had the rear dampers and top mounts replaced under warranty. The "Mastertech" who I took out to hear the noise immediately agreed it was the known problem. He also said, when putting the replcement dampers in and also replacing the top mount, it is easily possible to mount the damper in such a way as to allow it to knock on the top mount. He thinks that is the reason some people are still getting the problem with the replacement dampers.

We will see, as you would expect I shouldn't have that problem, as they will have done the replacement "properly", so I await some time and mileage to see if it comes back.

Cheers,

Matt.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It was a few weeks before the clunk came back. Something wore, not an incorrect fitting.

sidepocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a question for you guys. Is it worth it to bring up at my free 10k mile service at the dealer? Keep in mind, I have an aftermarket rear sway bar. Not sure if they will just see that and say "nevermind". Any advice?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
No reason not to ask. Worst case scenario they see the RSB and say "never mind." Best case scenario they replace it, and it solves your problem!

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
Alright guys, new '16 GTI S owner checking in here a little late. Unfortunately my car has been afflicted with this dreaded "rear suspension noise". Within the first couple days of driving it I could tell something didn't sound right. It sounded just as some of you have described.. like a bunch of wooden logs jostling around in the trunk / boot at lower speeds when driving over any sort of rough / uneven road surface. Coming from nearly 6 years of driving my mk6 I knew this noise wasn't normal.

I brought the car back to the dealer to have them look at it. After they took it thru the car wash when I asked them NOT to.. One of the techs took it for a spin and supposedly put it up on the lift to inspect the rear. They said the tech couldn't replicate the noise and everything seemed fine but too bring it back in a couple weeks if the noise continued. I took my keys and drove off knowing something wasn't right.

After doing a little research I found Fuelboss's story about his issues with what I believe is the issue I'm having. Watching his YouTube video the sound the shock is making when he taps it is much like the sound I hear when I drive over even the slightest bumps or uneven road surfaces. Like a dull hollow clunk / thunking. Whatever the noise it is most certainly NOT a normal noise or something that is "characteristic of the model" as VW put it. I can say it definitely is NOT a noise the suspension should be making.

Since I believe the issue I'm having is the same as what Fuelboss has had, I'm debating on what I should do. I work 60 + hrs a week and simply do not have time to go back and forth to the dealer only to have them replace the shocks with a set that's going to start making noise again after a week like has happened to some of you. And that aside I don't want someone working on the car who took it for a ride and didn't think they heard anything wrong with it. I'm not a mechanic but I know when suspension is making a noise it shouldn't be. My plan right now is to purchase a set of Bilstein B4 OEM replacements and have my local mechanic (who I trust and worked on my mk6) install them. I'd rather fork up the cash for this and have it fixed right the first time then deal with the dealership and what will likely be a waste of time.

Moving forward, do any of you know a) where to order these Bilstein OEM shocks and b) exactly what I need to order part wise. Is it just the shock itself or do I need the entire assembly?

I'm not happy I have to deal with this, but if this will fix it I think I'll be happy with my mk7. Otherwise I really do like the car..

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Just to clarify, is this only a cosmetic noise and has no bearing on the shock performance? Or is there tangible evidence that people should immediately visit the dealer for replacements? or buy and replace these shocks?

If its the former I'm inclined to live with a little extra sound, like noisier tyres, and change when I reach say 40k for better shocks. If its the latter then i'll be f*cked if I'm gonna spend my own money to correct a serious defect.

My suspicion is that its probably just cosmetic, and VW know this...

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It is certainly cosmetic, but it's a bit shite and frankly they need to acknowledge it and find a fix.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Cosmetic maybe but a real irritant for many owners.

It may be cosmetic for some owners but for many is a bloody great irritant unless you drive with the radio on full blast or never drive slow or have billiard table roads. Personally I would forget VW dealer unless he is prepared to fit the B4's. I fitted mine many months ago and problem immediately solved. Total cost nearly £300 and dealer paid but I had them fitted elsewhere.

If you think its just cosmetic then remove the part and you will see that the piston rod has too much play inside the barrel. I have removed the oil out of one shock and the play is very obvious.

30K for rattling suspension is not my idea of quality in a car of this caliber.

www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk

marvin1

Ready to race!
It grieves me that people who are willing to spend a lot of money on this car, are still experiencing this problem, a problem that was there from the beginning. I will just not commit myself to purchasing this car for this reason and one or two other matters more intrinsic in its design.
Such a shame as I am in a dilemma with my current car reaching its 7th Birthday in July.