GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear suspension noise - are you affected?

Is your Mk7 Golf affected by rear suspension noise - Yes/No?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Morphine

Ready to race!
Hey everyone- after thousands of miles on oem, Bilstein B8, Koni Yellows, and VWR coilovers, I am getting that noise on each and every rear shock/coilover that has been on the car. I've been trying to diagnose something that may have been loose, but to no avail. Even my local high-end shop can't find where the noise is coming from.

I just installed a set of Bilstein B14’s coilovers and experienced noise from the rear, which sounded to me like what you are describing.

After checking my install on the rear two times and was convinced it was installed correctly, I decided to disconnect the sway bar and voila the noise was gone.

After thinking about it a while…and drinking some wine to elevate my brain-waves, I then put on my tin foil hat so my ideas would not get stolen.

I have a neuspeed sway bar and neuspeed sway bar end-links installed. The upgraded links allow the (link) base to move freely in all directions. The stock link only allows the bottom connection to move in a semi-circular arc within the control arm…with only the top (part that attaches to the bar) pivoting freely (In a cone shape).

Anyhow….it turns out that the coilover kit changed the suspension geometry enough that the link would bump against the control arm (It sits inside it) and make a real racket.

I simply reinstalled the stock links and all my rear noise was gone.

This obviously only applies to people with aftermarket links…but it may be worth your while to disconnect the sway bar and tie it up just to find out…it is a 5 minute job.

Regards.

Markio

Ready to race!
I just realized I have this problem. Im not even going to bother trying to explain this one to the dealership.

For those of you who purchased the Bilsteins B4 rear shocks in the U.S where did you guys buy it from? Thanks :/

Z27

Ready to race!
I have aftermarket spring and shocks and I have this noise as well. Makes me think it's he bearing or the sway bar link

theinternot1

Nice.

I have the same rear sway setup and have noticed this knocking noise since day one of the install.

Been under the damn car more times trying to figure it out. My next step tomorrow was to throw on the plastic end links.

However, I have noticed a distinctly different creaking sound that has gotten progressively louder over the last couple of weeks. I had the wheels off last weekend and noticed some wet patches on the driver rear strut when it was fully extended. So, I am assuming my strut is shot as well.

I just installed a set of Bilstein B14’s coilovers and experienced noise from the rear, which sounded to me like what you are describing.

After checking my install on the rear two times and was convinced it was installed correctly, I decided to disconnect the sway bar and voila the noise was gone.

After thinking about it a while…and drinking some wine to elevate my brain-waves, I then put on my tin foil hat so my ideas would not get stolen.

I have a neuspeed sway bar and neuspeed sway bar end-links installed. The upgraded links allow the (link) base to move freely in all directions. The stock link only allows the bottom connection to move in a semi-circular arc within the control arm…with only the top (part that attaches to the bar) pivoting freely (In a cone shape).

Anyhow….it turns out that the coilover kit changed the suspension geometry enough that the link would bump against the control arm (It sits inside it) and make a real racket.

I simply reinstalled the stock links and all my rear noise was gone.

This obviously only applies to people with aftermarket links…but it may be worth your while to disconnect the sway bar and tie it up just to find out…it is a 5 minute job.

Regards.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Bilstein B6 rear shocks did it for me

Many of you will have read my story with the shock absorber noise but I can tell you that after a few thousand miles on the Bilstein B6 rear shocks I have no more rattles or the "rolling log" issue.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Meanwhile, on only our second set of rear shocks my dealer has declared that he could not hear anything when he test drove the car last week and is therefore "unable to do anything".

Sigh ..

Rod Paine

Passed Driver's Ed
Meanwhile, on only our second set of rear shocks my dealer has declared that he could not hear anything when he test drove the car last week and is therefore "unable to do anything".

Sigh ..
Fuelboss and I have exchanged a number of emails with each other about his rear shocks noise and my experience with Bilstein B6 shocks on our own four different VW Golfs since 2002, including our new 2015 Golf S TDI, which we put Bilstein B6 shocks on the very first week, because the stock shocks were very poor performing on any aggressive or poor condition roads.

Additionally, I have recommended the B6 to several other 2015 GTI owners since my earlier discussions with fuelboss and they have also installed B6 shocks, which corrected not only the racket, but improved the overal suspension performance. I would suggest you discuss this option with your dealer.
-Rod

VWGolfTSi

Replaced my rear shocks with B6 3K km ago and it's been quiet since then but lately I been hearing some rattle at the back once in a while. Not sure if it is a suspension related noise or it's the rear seat backrest that makes the sound. Anyone have this issue?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The dealers are prepared to fit these under warranty as an alternative to the OEM part?
At this point, I don't see why I should pay any more than it's already cost me in hassle and time..

pthl1968

2015 GTI suspension noise

After four months use, the suspension makes cranking sounds when go over bumps or rough roads.
After taking it back to the dealer, the mechanic drove the car and said it is not faulty , just the smaller car noise?!??!
After extensive research, it seems the shocks are faulty but VW would not admit and replace.
One solution reported was to replace the shocks with Bilstein B4 and the noise went away.

pthl1968

Noisy suspension

After four months use, the suspension makes cranking sounds when go over bumps or rough roads.
After taking it back to the dealer, the mechanic drove the car and said it is not faulty , just the smaller car noise?!??!
After extensive research, it seems the shocks are faulty but VW would not admit and replace.
One solution reported was to replace the shocks with Bilstein B4 and the noise went away.

MarcA

Ready to race!
I had my rear shocks replaced 4 months ago. It fixed 80 - 90% of the noise. Although my car started shake/ vibrate at highway speeds (70 mph+). Has anyone else with shock noise been experiencing high speed vibrations?

Im getting this! I thought it was just me.. or that maybe I had lost a rear wheel weight.. I was going to get them checked as I thought lately the car seems to "shake" a fair bit on smooth motorways.