GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear suspension noise - are you affected?

Is your Mk7 Golf affected by rear suspension noise - Yes/No?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thornx

Update:

Update: I happily sold my Golf 7 sportsvan today. I have enough with VW cars specially driving Golf 7 sportsvan with allot of problems. One of the troubles is the well known clunking nocking noise from the right back side of the car on speedbumps and bumpy roads. This sound get little by little worse and worse every month. I have tried find the noise by my self by reading thousands of message around the world about this problem nothing helped to solve it. Then I did go to the Volkswagen garage many times. Some of the VW mechanics do hear the clunking noise and some mechanics don’t want to hear it. But the VW mechanics that hear it cant find the noise. The only solution is taking the car backside apart piece by piece to find the problem. But they wont pay for it under warranty. Its way to expensive for VW and for me to. VW told me the car is totally save to drive I believe that. Some forum writers write that you can live with the noise that more like a noise like you driving a 15 year old car. I can tell you that the noise always will remind you by every drive you take. It takes all the fun out to driving a car that’s almost new. I would advice you don’t buy a VW again. I still hoop for other Golf 7 drivers that someone solve the clunking nocking noise problem someday. I wish you all good luck.

Last edited:

Jasons6930

Sorry for the delayed reply everyone.

Fuelboss.

The tech went around and tightened every bolt there is, but the issue is still there.

It is disappointing as i thought the replacement shocks would cure it, but they have made no difference at all!

Patagonian.

Not convinced but i will certainly give it a go. Reason i say that is that i have had rear passengers in the car so i would think they would have stopped that rattle with their weight!

Edit: Just been out to the car and yanked the back seats about whilst in the upright position and nothing feels loose there.

Even Yanked around on the exhaust to see if that was knocking.

Last edited:

kicsidave

Hello!

I was struggling with this clunking noise (first in the rear, then the front started as well). It always happened, whenever I drove off or stopped, and it was very audible especially on rough road at slow speed.

My vw service found a solution btw, and it cured all my clunking noise. As it turned out it was the ride height sensor that needed greasing (the oem code is like 5Q0512521E, but it may vary). Both front and rear. Give it a try, if you have not already! And do tell the service to grease, because mine front sensor seemed OK, but they greased it anyway, and that stopped that clunking noise.

Hope it helps you as well! I love my silent car again, enjoy yours as well! :)

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
To be fair, after all my initial complaints I do believe the last set of replacement (standard) shocks DID solve our rear suspension noise issues.
The front suspension creak, on the other hand, is predictably worse than ever.