GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
loving what you have done so far.

question is....why is your bay so damn dirty??

keep up the good work!

best,

Paul

Damnit, I KNEW someone was going to harp on me for that [emoji23] I'll clean it sometime... maybe... sheesh. Lol! It's supposed to be more of a race car, not a show car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Last week, I took the time to install some Soundskins sound-deadening material while I was upgrading my speakers. Long story short, these things are amazing!
You can find my review here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25512

Mydixadryl

Ready to race!
What kind of phone mount are you using? I'm looking to put a phone mount to the left of the steering wheel in that spot for my JB4 app.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
What kind of phone mount are you using? I'm looking to put a phone mount to the left of the steering wheel in that spot for my JB4 app.

I haven't put that in my "mod" list, have I! It is an iOttie... I have been pretty happy with it. I do have to set it just right or it tends to make a little noise/rattle. But once you figure out how to set it just right it does it's job well... I'm actually afraid to pull it off the windshield because I have tint, and I am legitimately concerned that it's so sticky it may pull off the tint... But I think I may be being over-concerned :rolleyes:

It holds my iPhone 6 Plus with the Lifeproof case just right, which is pretty large.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRGOKQ8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mydixadryl

Ready to race!
I haven't put that in my "mod" list, have I! It is an iOttie... I have been pretty happy with it. I do have to set it just right or it tends to make a little noise/rattle. But once you figure out how to set it just right it does it's job well... I'm actually afraid to pull it off the windshield because I have tint, and I am legitimately concerned that it's so sticky it may pull off the tint... But I think I may be being over-concerned :rolleyes:

It holds my iPhone 6 Plus with the Lifeproof case just right, which is pretty large.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRGOKQ8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Awesome. One thing I forgot - where is the power coming from on the end I can't see?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Awesome. One thing I forgot - where is the power coming from on the end I can't see?

I have an add-a-fuse fuse tap that goes into my interior fuse box. I bought a 12v cigarette lighter style power outlet, ran the fuse tap power to it, grounded it, and put a 2.4A phone charger in it and plugged it all in, ran the USB lightning cable or whatever it's called to the iPhone.

12v power outlet

Phone charger

sabo

Ready to race!
Last week, I took the time to install some Soundskins sound-deadening material while I was upgrading my speakers. Long story short, these things are amazing!
You can find my review here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25512

so what install method did you use?...make templates and then transfer to skin or rough cut the skin and they carve out for wires, latch points etc....

which dealer did you use? i contacted one and they wanted $100/roll...yikes.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
so what install method did you use?...make templates and then transfer to skin or rough cut the skin and they carve out for wires, latch points etc....

which dealer did you use? i contacted one and they wanted $100/roll...yikes.

I guess I should say how I installed them in a review, huh? I used two sheets of wax paper taped together. You can see through it just enough to trace stuff out. I then put that over a soundskin and cut away. I made one stencil for the front doors, and one for the back. The left/right doors are exactly identical, just mirrored, so no need to trace out all 4 doors. It worked fairly well, though it wasn't the cleanest install, my stenciling could use some work :)

I called one that also wanted that much. I then called Soundscape in Plano, Tx who offered it at $75 a roll. I stopped there, but the guy that turned me on to these said he got his for $200 for 3 rolls. So, I would just call around. You can use the Soundskins website to find dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal_Mk7

Very nice build Devil Dog! I bought mine a couple months after you back in 2014, same model but Pure White. I'm just now slowly buying parts here and there to mod when I get home. And that's what sucks...I work overseas so 30 days home at a time is shared between the family and the car LOL. Keep up the good work, she's coming along. Cheers and Semper Fi.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Very nice build Devil Dog! I bought mine a couple months after you back in 2014, same model but Pure White. I'm just now slowly buying parts here and there to mod when I get home. And that's what sucks...I work overseas so 30 days home at a time is shared between the family and the car LOL. Keep up the good work, she's coming along. Cheers and Semper Fi.

Thanks! Very nice, I didn't touch mine for a full year before I got the Eurodyne tune, then it was all downhill from there :rolleyes:

30 days at home, sounds rough! Okinawa, by any chance?

TonWah

Ready to race!
Great build, OP!

Glad to see another Texas owner on here. Also glad to hear confirmation on how great the Wavetrac LSD is. I probably won't get to it anytime soon as I just my GTI about a month ago, but will definitely be making that upgrade in the future.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Great build, OP!

Glad to see another Texas owner on here. Also glad to hear confirmation on how great the Wavetrac LSD is. I probably won't get to it anytime soon as I just my GTI about a month ago, but will definitely be making that upgrade in the future.

Thanks! Yes, very proud Texan and yes, the LSD is a very worthwhile mod, the benefits can be immediately felt. We need all the help we can get putting down the power our cars are capable of to the wheels!