GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Product release - Driver side air intake scoop

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Side note would this be useful for open intakes like the ROc-Euro?

I personally wouldn't see a huge benefit in doing this for an open intake. Once the car is moving, the open intake is getting air from many locations.

The whole point of this grate mod is to ''guide'' air directly in a closed system.

Goal = On a closed system, help the intake / turbo by giving air where its limited since on the intake side the grill is closed.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I am indeed going to look at demigod's issue. I have a Unitronic intercooler and it fits mine, so i need to go back and look at what he is talking about and try to remedy the issue. It was snowing here last night so i said F it. But will look at it tonight and send him a revised piece. I chose Demi as a tester
A. Because he has one of the larger intercoolers on the market
B. Have had some conversations with him in the past and he's not a dick.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
You can, GTI Jake does. The filter will get wet though if its raining.
hmmmm it rains a bit here in cuse and im certainly to lazy to remove it in bad weather.
I personally wouldn't see a huge benefit in doing this for an open intake. Once the car is moving, the open intake is getting air from many locations.

The whole point of this grate mod is to ''guide'' air directly in a closed system.

Goal = On a closed system, help the intake / turbo by giving air where its limited since on the intake side the grill is closed.
I'll keep that in mind

I am indeed going to look at demigod's issue. I have a Unitronic intercooler and it fits mine, so i need to go back and look at what he is talking about and try to remedy the issue. It was snowing here last night so i said F it. But will look at it tonight and send him a revised piece. I chose Demi as a tester
A. Because he has one of the larger intercoolers on the market
B. Have had some conversations with him in the past and he's not a dick.
Good producer is good. Looking forward to seeing the progress of the unit

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Thanks for that clarification. I totally missed that point. A lot of threads could use a high level overview of the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk6-k

Ready to race!
Here's a picture of my grate.

Attachments

• P1000070 (Medium).JPG
    P1000070 (Medium).JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 793

tknj99

Ready to race!
I have the driver side plenum cut open but not the grate section yet.. had noticed a bit of better throttle response and also a whistle at high rpm loads and then let off.. for those that have done this that had a similar setup, have you noticed more intake whistle or other noise inside the car?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I have the driver side plenum cut open but not the grate section yet.. had noticed a bit of better throttle response and also a whistle at high rpm loads and then let off.. for those that have done this that had a similar setup, have you noticed more intake whistle or other noise inside the car?

Yup!

I can confirm this. Turbo does this subtle whistle noise as the rpms climb.
Haven’t tested it out with the window open yet.

Placebo affect most likely but with this small mod, turbo appears to be breathing even better and pulls strong!
I have the open grate so air is literally being force fed directly into the turbo.

** side note - those that opt for the open grate with a closed intake system, small drops of water do reach the base of the filter. Nothing alarming tho **

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
So for those in the know. the Roc-Euro intake has a bit of help with directing air
https://roc-euro.com/products/roc-euro-mqb-intake-system
So i would just need the open without the scoop no? Or go full scoop? Need is relative btw lol

With that setup, i’d just open up without the scoop.

The scoop / grate wouldn’t make a big difference. Having an open element intake with a large filter surface is already getting air from a bunch of directions

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
With that setup, i’d just open up without the scoop.

The scoop / grate wouldn’t make a big difference. Having an open element intake with a large filter surface is already getting air from a bunch of directions

Fair. I'm always looking for a way to force more air in. Road Course demands it. Best part as it doesn't sound like it will hurt :) so I can chalk it up there with my big HP TMD :p

So cool to have people create stuff too!

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Fair. I'm always looking for a way to force more air in. Road Course demands it. Best part as it doesn't sound like it will hurt :) so I can chalk it up there with my big HP TMD :p

So cool to have people create stuff too!

I mean it can’t hurt! Go for it
I really like this product and it’s awesome what others are doing for the community

The only downfall is the filter getting dirtier / wet (specially with an open intake system)

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Hey guys just an update, i have a big batch of Just Grates going out tomorrow. The scoop design is coming slower but I should have more sent out tomorrow or Wednesday for testing and fitment on the scoop. Thanks for all the support!