GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 torque vectoring Haldex retrofit

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
Haldex with parts prefix 0CQ is gen 5. Gen 4 is for the golf mk6 series.

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
Made the wiring loom today, almost ready for testing. I'll be running a new power feed to the rear battery with two power wires, so each unit can be fused individually. I don't see any downsides to that. Almost ready for dry testing... If that all works, I'll be swapping the diff itself.

Attachments

• 2023-10-25 18.42.36.jpg
    2023-10-25 18.42.36.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • 2023-10-25 18.42.47.jpg
    2023-10-25 18.42.47.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
So first tests with my SW AA 3Q0 gateway were... no comms! But a lot of errors on the dash. I'll retreat and try to find some positives to this.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@iichel Bad news but not the end... I had a look at that Arteon scan you posted, just thinking about gateway. I'm running the same gateway software (3Q0 907 530 AR) as that Arteon, although on hardware 530C while that Arteon is 530E. Anyway, I agree with you the gateway shouldn't be an issue. I see in your OP you have software AA. I updated from AG > AR with no issue (no loss of parameters/dataset or CP activation). User Xabhax updated from AC > AR.

It could be a software issue. When I updated it mine it was to correct a steering wheel touch sensor issue. Too bad we don't have the gateway install list for that Arteon.

Looking at the harness you built I assume that purple wire is the for Gateway pin 14. Is it possible you're on the wrong can high/low?

It looks like J492 - All Wheel Drive Control unit (from the older Haldex(es)... Haldi? :LOL:) is on Running Gear CAN (or as it was once called, Suspension CAN)... Gateway 8 and 18
But J1257/1258 - Torque Vectoring Units are on Power Train CAN... Gateway 6 and 16

Last edited:

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
I'll update the gateway regardless I think, just because I can.

I'm nog 100% sure about the running gear and power train canbus, the wiring scheme is very vague. it mentions suspension CAN in the first page and powertrain CAN in the last page. I'll tap into powertrain CAN to see what happens.

Attachments

• wiring AWD.pdf
    113.3 KB · Views: 32

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'll update the gateway regardless I think, just because I can.

I'm nog 100% sure about the running gear and power train canbus, the wiring scheme is very vague. it mentions suspension CAN in the first page and powertrain CAN in the last page. I'll tap into powertrain CAN to see what happens.
The AWD control unit (without Top Sport equipment as that wiring diagram calls it) is connected to Suspension (Running Gear) CAN Bus... 8 and 18

The Torque Vectoring Units (with Top Sport equipment) are instead connected to Powertrain CAN Bus... 6 and 16

If you tested while connected to Suspension CAN that is not correct for Torque Vectoring units, at least according to this diagram.

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
I just connected it to powertrain CAN (T17/1 and /2 on coupling point between interior loom and engine loom, near bonnet lever) and still no luck.

Next step will be to update the gateway SW to AR. I already have the flash file, but no parameters.
I'm a bit reluctant to flash it straight away, I'm a bit worried GW will lose parameters and that would be mildly annoying.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Shoot... purple wire connected also?

I never connect in that area, always get myself mixed up with the different plugs... tan, black, blue, haha!

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
Hm I'm gonna do something I don't like doing, which is to suggest that somebody that's being extremely helpful, is wrong.

From the Arteon data networking PDF:

Torque vectoring units are connected via B663 and B664 to gateway /8 and /18. That's sensor CAN.
Which is a contradiction to earlier diagrams where powertrain was mentioned.
And another confusion in the middle diagram, where even dash CAN is mentioned. * according to equipment.

But this leads me to believe that the 08E haldex is also connected to sensor CAN.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 16.41.26.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 16.41.26.png
    281.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 16.42.18.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 16.42.18.png
    444.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 16.43.09.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 16.43.09.png
    346.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Data bus network.pdf
    291.1 KB · Views: 20

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've been wrong before, will be wrong again, haha. No worries over here. I was looking at two pages of the "wiring AWD" pdf you posted for the Arteon...

Page 2/4 shows J492 connected to B663 and B664 which is Sensor/Suspension CAN... 8 and 18.
Page 4/4 shows Torque Vectoring units J1257 and J1258 connected to B386 and B393 which is Powertrain CAN... 6 and 16.

Something is not correct in the wiring diagrams you just posted (from VW). The first page shows B386 and B393 (Powertrain CAN).
Then you follow to the second page and all of the sudden it's B663 and B664 (Suspension/Sensor CAN) o_O
Then following that through to the third page remains B663 and B664 (Suspension/Sensor CAN) on 8 and 18

I don't know which CAN Bus makes "more sense" or why VW would switch them.

Attachments

• 1699632087203.png
    1699632087203.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 22

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
According to SSP from Cupra Formentor VZ5, J1257 and J1258 are connected to the same CAN as ABS J104 or Steering assist J500 (So it's gonna be CAN suspension?)

iichel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Passat B8
The spline to B386/B393 doesn't make sense at all in the one from post #38. It's talking about main harness while it's in the haldex wiring loom, between the actual actuators and the connection below rear seat. That's not main harness :p

In all fairness to this diagram, VW is suggesting with *4 to look at the actual databus plan, and that's the PDF in post 42.
That one leaves little doubt about it being suspension CAN, right?