GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 R vs 370z

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Hey man! I know this is an old thread but I’m about to buy a new car for myself as I’m tired of my 2010 civic. My two options I’ve decided on are either, sell my civic and get a mk7 GTI and go EQT stage 2 with supporting mods, or my other option was to keep my civic as a winter car and get a 370z to use when there is no snow on the ground. As someone who’s owned both these cars what do you think is a better option. I know this is a difficult question but I was just opinions from people who have had both a 370z and gti
I owned a 370z street car and now I own a gti street (sometimes track) car and a 370z Racecar. There is absolutely zero common comparison between the two, and they serve two very different functions. The gti is a wonderful street car that needs a tremendous amount of modification to stay reliable on track. This is also true of the R. Around town the gti is punchy down low, easy to drive, and you can't beat the practicality of the hatch. It, however, is certainly NOT a sports car. The z is a sports car. It has aluminum control arms from the factory, a double wishbone suspension, a very reliable transmission at even 800whp+ (save for the slave cylinder), significantly better balance, better aero, far more ability to stuff rubber (I run 295 and 315 wide), better brakes, hydraulic steering, and its mod ceiling is initially more expensive but eventually far cheaper for big power. A simple turbo kit will run you $7k on the z, but then you'll be pulling 650whp on the stock block all day long.

The tech and creature comforts in the gti and r are far superior, the gas mileage is better, around town visibility and drive ability is easier, and generally speaking they feel light weight. Wonderful street cars, especially with the dcc, lighting package, and the performance pack. Not a sports car.

705gti

Car(s)
2015 GTI MT
Yeah I had a G35 coupe 2006 3.5L and there is no way in hell a stock GTI would stick with that car. I think my 15 GTI could stick with it 0-60 (assuming dry pavement in the summer), but on the highway my GTI is much slower. You'd get smoked and the faster you went the worse it would get.

I guess an R has more power, but wouldn't it run out of steam like a GTI? I really hate how my car feels like it runs out of breath on the highway. It's really a lame engine
A stock gti would beat the g35.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Both of these cars are slow in stock form.
335hp @ 3250lbs vs 230hp @ 3140lbs

One is a 10:1 car and one is 13.6:1.
One car does the quarter in 13.1s or so at 105mph+ and the other does it at 14.5s and 98mph.

The golf r is a much closer rival to the z than the gti stock for stock. Due to turbo lag and turbo threshold, general responsiveness and pace at lower rpm will be smoother and faster in the NA car. "slow" is relative, and all of these cars are "slow" compared to a typical tesla or luxobarge grocery getter.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
335hp @ 3250lbs vs 230hp @ 3140lbs

One is a 10:1 car and one is 13.6:1.
One car does the quarter in 13.1s or so at 105mph+ and the other does it at 14.5s and 98mph.

The golf r is a much closer rival to the z than the gti stock for stock. Due to turbo lag and turbo threshold, general responsiveness and pace at lower rpm will be smoother and faster in the NA car. "slow" is relative, and all of these cars are "slow" compared to a typical tesla or luxobarge grocery getter.
Ok I stand corrected. 13.1 in the 1/4 is not slow, for a stock car!