GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 R vs 370z

Just this night I was driving down a highway at around 75 km/h to see a set of xenon headlights coming up fast behind me. I was doing a few pulls just before and was definitely in the "race" mind set.

As the car was passing me around 100km/h I downshifted from 6th to 4th and stepped on it. He was ahead by 3 or 4 car lengths by the time I had the pedal to the floor but within seconds I was passing him.

I was lucky enough to see the face of the driver as I passed him and there was a for sure a "what the fuck?" look on his face :D. Today was a good day.

Tico63

Ready to race!
Nice kill. But hmmm are you tuned? I'm surprised you reeled him in so quickly.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Was he racing you though?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I don't want to sound like a party pooper but I don't think the 370z was racing otherwise we would be taking about pulling 1 or 2 cars not passing him like Light Mc queen.
My guess is that OP is not tuned if going at 60mph (100km/h) he downshifted from 6th to 4th to go WOT. I would have downshift to 3rd speeding to 80mph(130km/h) and continue from there but is just my guess.
Probably by the time the 370z wanted to race for real, OP was parking at his house...
Racing or not racing a kill is a kill ����

alderran1

Ready to race!
Yeah I had a G35 coupe 2006 3.5L and there is no way in hell a stock GTI would stick with that car. I think my 15 GTI could stick with it 0-60 (assuming dry pavement in the summer), but on the highway my GTI is much slower. You'd get smoked and the faster you went the worse it would get.

I guess an R has more power, but wouldn't it run out of steam like a GTI? I really hate how my car feels like it runs out of breath on the highway. It's really a lame engine

digilio86

Ready to race!
Yeah I had a G35 coupe 2006 3.5L and there is no way in hell a stock GTI would stick with that car. I think my 15 GTI could stick with it 0-60 (assuming dry pavement in the summer), but on the highway my GTI is much slower. You'd get smoked and the faster you went the worse it would get.

I guess an R has more power, but wouldn't it run out of steam like a GTI? I really hate how my car feels like it runs out of breath on the highway. It's really a lame engine

Might be a first on here, someone calling the gen 3 ea888 lame

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI

I think something is wrong with your car. The highway is where the Gti shines. Maybe your dealing with heatsoak.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!

I had an 06 350z and my buddy had an 06 G35 which I got to drive a lot (virtually the same vehicles), I totally beg to differ about a stock GTI sticking with both of those vehicles. For what they were advertised to be both of the cars were turds stock. It'd be a lot closer than you make it out to be. Before I had my Z I had an 04 v6 mustang (we all know how slow those things were) and that would hang within half a car of my buddy's g35 stock.

Now up higher, yes the GTI obviously runs out of steam as we have all confirmed here.

Tico63

Ready to race!

Coming from a 350z, I couldn't disagree more with the above. Heatsoak for days lol

Hoon

Autocross Champion

We get it, you hate your GTI. Every single one of your posts is nothing but hating on your car.

Sell it and move on, dude. It's not for you.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
I went from a mkv gti to a 370 and back to a mk7 with a tune and having a g37 sedan as a daily in between. Either vq car stands no chance to an r or gti with the mildest of tunes. My 370 would have gotten walked by my gti when I was jb1 (now Ed stage 2). 37s stand no chance and 35s are that much further behind. 370zs are trapping 5-10 mph lower than stage 2 gtis on average.