GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Merry Christmas from a new GTI Owner

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Nice present, welcome and Merry Christmas!

This year Helga got a DIY DSG fluid/filter change, PP diff fluid change, and a brake fluid flush. Oh, new shoes too, MP4S. She's been a good girl :).

Grey Ghost

Ready to race!
Welcome to the GTI fam and congrats on the awesome Christmas gift!
Take your time deciding on mods, there’s a ton to throw on your car but only some of it it worth putting on your new ride.

Merry Christmas from a brand new GTI owner!

I just purchased my first GTI last night. Got a 2019, black, S trim level, manual transmission GTI. I drove it for 2 hours after I bought it and I really like it. I wish I hadn't waited so long to upgrade from my old car.

And now to start thinking about mods... LOL

Have a great holiday,
Tom

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Welcome, congrats, and Merry Christmas! Regarding your post with tires, winter/summer set up is the best way to go as I'm sure many on here would agree. I'm currently using my stock 18' Austin's with Blizzak WS90s for my winter set up and it's been great so far if that helps with any decisions. Enjoy the search for a summer set up as the options almost seem endless.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Welcome and congrats!

when considering new wheels I’d stress the importance of knowing how the wheels are constructed.
Gravity Cast < Low Pressure Cast < Flow Formed < Forged.

Shoot for flow formed for the best longevity and bang for your buck. Neuspeed, Konig, Enkei, OZ are all good bands that offer flow formed construction. The last three you’ll need hub centric rings to have them fit the VW hub correctly!

good luck!

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Welcome,

As others have suggested tires and a rear sway were pretty high onmy list for mods you can do that won't void your warranty. A tune will completely change your life, but it is probably best to enjoy your car stock for a while to get a feel for it. If the bug does bite you though, look at all the threads on the various choices out there.

Tom2112

Car(s)
Black 2019 VW GTI S
There are no TPMS sensors anymore.

It just uses the ABS system to monitor wheel speed and determines the pressure vs. a set value.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. I'm stoked that I can do my tire/wheel swaps myself now instead of paying. That means more money for mods! LOL

Welcome and congrats!

when considering new wheels I’d stress the importance of knowing how the wheels are constructed.
Gravity Cast < Low Pressure Cast < Flow Formed < Forged.

Shoot for flow formed for the best longevity and bang for your buck. Neuspeed, Konig, Enkei, OZ are all good bands that offer flow formed construction. The last three you’ll need hub centric rings to have them fit the VW hub correctly!

good luck!

Thanks for the info. I wasn't even aware of the casting/forming/forging differences. I always shoot for low weight wheels to keep that unsprung weight down. But you have to be careful with extra-light wheels as they tend to be weaker/more-susceptible to damage. I live in Pennsylvania where the potholes can be bigger than your car, so I have to be careful. It's a fine line to walk trying to get a good wheel and not break the bank.

Tom2112

Car(s)
Black 2019 VW GTI S
Welcome,

As others have suggested tires and a rear sway were pretty high onmy list for mods you can do that won't void your warranty. A tune will completely change your life, but it is probably best to enjoy your car stock for a while to get a feel for it. If the bug does bite you though, look at all the threads on the various choices out there.

One of the main reasons I chose the Mk7 GTI was because of how well they respond to ECU tuning. With a simple tune and some good tires, you've got one hell of a pocket rocket. I'm planning to drive it through the winter before I tune it though. Not only do I want to learn the way the car handles first, adding a bunch of horsepower right before the snow/ice season isn't a smart idea. Honestly, I was very impressed with the stock amount of power on tap! On paper it has the same amount of HP as my old car (Civic Si), but it sure doesn't feel like it! The GTI is so much more responsive.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
One of the main reasons I chose the Mk7 GTI was because of how well they respond to ECU tuning. With a simple tune and some good tires, you've got one hell of a pocket rocket. I'm planning to drive it through the winter before I tune it though. Not only do I want to learn the way the car handles first, adding a bunch of horsepower right before the snow/ice season isn't a smart idea. Honestly, I was very impressed with the stock amount of power on tap! On paper it has the same amount of HP as my old car (Civic Si), but it sure doesn't feel like it! The GTI is so much more responsive.

VW underrated the GTI hp. It's actually between 240 and 250 bhp.

Tom2112

Car(s)
Black 2019 VW GTI S
VW underrated the GTI hp. It's actually between 240 and 250 bhp.

Ah, that's explains a lot! Those silly Germans! They did it to me before on another car I have.

Considering the clutch issues that come with a tune, I may never tune it.