GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maody's Golf 7.5 GTi TCR on Tracks (mostly Nordschleife)

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
Great video! Do you feel like a gt3 should be able to pull away from you, if you were all equally skilled drivers?
Absolutely, even skilled drivers the GT3 should be able to go 7:15 or less. I can go 7:45 (or a little less).
A GT3 should go circles around me. ;)

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
Have you tried the "upgrade" that Apex do to their GTi-PP cars?....In one of Misha's videos talking to the mechanics they say they remove the caliper pin (from the factory/stock calipers) with the bush on it & replace it with another one of the solid pins. I know the bush gets stuck & causes problems, also they say to causes the pads to wear "wedge" shaped...No bush I presume would mean more movement related clunk when you use the brakes as the caliper moves on the pins...
I have changed the calipers to TT-RS, so no issues like Apex has with the OEM ones

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have changed the calipers to TT-RS, so no issues like Apex has with the OEM ones

Ah right!....I keep thinking about swapping out the "bush" pin for a solid one as I have a spare set from when I fitted the bigger brackets when I went from 288mm to 312mm discs...

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Absolutely, even skilled drivers the GT3 should be able to go 7:15 or less. I can go 7:45 (or a little less).
Ok thanks. I was thinking the same but wasn’t quite sure. It’s understandable that some drivers don’t want to drive beyond their abilities with expensive cars.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
Ok thanks. I was thinking the same but wasn’t quite sure. It’s understandable that some drivers don’t want to drive beyond their abilities with expensive cars.
100% correct.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
New footage btw.
GTi TCR vs. BMW M3 (G21) Touring Competition X-Drive

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

A stock MK7 GTI Clubsport S, manual, 3dr, DCC with special 'ring setting, no rear seats (factory options of fancy wingback front seats, & air con delete) also fitted with aftermarket Weichers half cage & Schroth harnesses, did the the 'ring in 7:49:21...

90% of the time It's the driver, & in most cases most drivers should not be given anything more complex than a sponge!

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
100% correct!
Btw. the 7:49 was done by Benny Leuchter, not only one of the most skilled Ring drivers but professional race driver as well.
On a trackday when he was the instructor for my group he did a lap in my car with me on the passenger seat. Man, I can tell you, he HAS skills...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
100% correct!
Btw. the 7:49 was done by Benny Leuchter, not only one of the most skilled Ring drivers but professional race driver as well.
On a trackday when he was the instructor for my group he did a lap in my car with me on the passenger seat. Man, I can tell you, he HAS skills...

Plus he's short & weighs very little!! ....haha!!

I was taught "rally style" by a mate of mine when I was in University. He used to work as test driver/mechanic for several rally teams including Peugeot & then Ford this was back circa 1993/94yr!..Too many people stay in too high a gear & don't DRIVE the car on the corners!. More a problem on the AWD cars, especially the older Haldex which lagged!...I had to teach another mate how to drive his (new to him but second hand) MK4 R32, as he thought the Haldex was faulty!.....Taking corners in 5th when he should been down in 3rd, as a result the front end didn't lose grip so the Haldex never kicked in & the heavy nose went wide!....UNDERSTEER>>>>.......!!..Idiot!

I regret not getting the DCC option for my car, especially now there are aftermarket controllers which give you maximum adjustability!. Also it would have saved me having to sort the rusty cast iron bearing hub/knuckles, as I would have gained the aluminium hub/knuckles, & the bigger 312mm discs!! Unfortunately nobody really knew (back in summer 2014yr) if the bigger brakes & alu hubs came with the DCC on a non-GTI/GTD/R..!!! ...The reason I didn't get the DCC was there were problems with faulty dampers, mainly the rear ones, & in the cold!..

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I note the TCR has the VAQ unit as per the GTi-PP & "Clubsport" etc.. Are you still on the standard open diff in the gearbox?

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
I note the TCR has the VAQ unit as per the GTi-PP & "Clubsport" etc.. Are you still on the standard open diff in the gearbox?
Sorry, I am German native speaker and don't know much about the car technics in addition (I only can drive cars ;) )
So what is the "VAQ unit"? You mean the mechanical diff on the front axle? Yes, the front diff of the TCR is not electronic (XDS) but mechanical.
But what means "open diff in the gearbox"?
Anyway, my gearbox is OEM hardwarewise but I have the software optimized (shifting times shortened, manual IS manual - no kick down, no automatic upshifting in "m" mode)

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sorry, I am German native speaker and don't know much about the car technics in addition (I only can drive cars ;) )
So what is the "VAQ unit"? You mean the mechanical diff on the front axle? Yes, the front diff of the TCR is not electronic (XDS) but mechanical.
But what means "open diff in the gearbox"?
Anyway, my gearbox is OEM hardwarewise but I have the software optimized (shifting times shortened, manual IS manual - no kick down, no automatic upshifting in "m" mode)

So you've not modified the gearbox ok thats fine....

Therefore you have a basic open type differential in the gearbox. The VAQ unit is not in the gearbox, but outside of it, & on your passenger side driveshaft. Its a modified Haldex AWD unit, & is basically an "electro-hydraulic multi-plate clutch system" to lock up the existing open differential, which is electronically controlled to shift torque between one drive wheel & the other, & it still uses the brakes to help the VAQ unit in certain situations.

Unfortunately, VW in their sales brochures wrongly call it a "mechanical diff"...which it is not......if it was it would be in the gearbox & replace the existing open diff. In car terms a "mechanical diff" usually refers to one in the gearbox in 2wd, & either a basic "open" type or a LSD (limited slip differential)

Borg Warner who are the manufacturers of the unit, call it “Front Cross Differential Technology”, or “FXD”.

ERWIN, which is the official VAG workshop manuals, call it a “Front Differential Lock”, & in the “Self-study guides” they also refer to it as an “Electrohydraulic Front Differential Lock”.

Volkswagen Audi Group HQ in Germany, call it “Vorderachsquersperre” (VAQ), which translated from German to English means “Transversal Front Axle Locking”, or “Front Differential Lock” depending on the translation website used.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
And now I learned something new, thx! (y)

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Have you tried the "upgrade" that Apex do to their GTi-PP cars?....In one of Misha's videos talking to the mechanics they say they remove the caliper pin (from the factory/stock calipers) with the bush on it & replace it with another one of the solid pins. I know the bush gets stuck & causes problems, also they say to causes the pads to wear "wedge" shaped...No bush I presume would mean more movement related clunk when you use the brakes as the caliper moves on the pins...
I know he uses a BBK so I doubt this mod would be applicable to his set up.