GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
this is definitely cool, but trying to understand it is difficult. There are so many variables that can effect your boost and other things. I can run map 2 today and get no timing pull then run it next week where the temperature is slightly different and show some pull. You are a genius for sure, but this would help find a good safe map opposed to an all out, max power map.

There are always variables that can affect timing pull. That's why George posted about some saying 5 degrees is ok on this ecu, but he prefers 2 or less. Others feel that here should be none. One of the logs for an apr tune showed corrections like crazy. I think as long as you follow George's advice of no more than 2 degrees of corrections, you will be safe. It's always good to check logs when the temperatures change a lot though.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya i tune for no corrections.. or when looking at the csv, no more than 3 cells in a row and none on simultaneous cylinders. I rather have a little headroom personally since corrections will happen. That's just my thought and I know I'm very conservative though :)

nathan16mk7R

this is definitely cool, but trying to understand it is difficult. There are so many variables that can effect your boost and other things. I can run map 2 today and get no timing pull then run it next week where the temperature is slightly different and show some pull. You are a genius for sure, but this would help find a good safe map opposed to an all out, max power map.

Yeah I probably should have said it is good for getting a max power map WHILE remaining safe lol.

nathan16mk7R

Thanks for all the appreciation! I actually threw this together a week or two ago. I was hoping George would have time to look over it but unfortunately he hasn't yet. Once I saw y'all talk about something like this, I made an account and threw it up here.

I'm definitely a novice at VBA coding. I have to search the internet for basically every action I want to code. If anyone else has VBA knowledge, feel free to take a look at the code and tweak it! I put the most basic of comments in the code. Basically, because I'm not even sure what most of it does lol. I just copied and pasted coding examples until it worked!

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Ya i tune for no corrections.. or when looking at the csv, no more than 3 cells in a row and none on simultaneous cylinders. I rather have a little headroom personally since corrections will happen. That's just my thought and I know I'm very conservative though :)

You definitely have me looking at my logs differently now. Lol. I almost have it at a good place. The 1.8 is behaving differently than I thought and a little different than the 2.0. Where I'm getting my corrections are in the 4500-5100 range. I can actually make more boost from 5000 to 6,500 than I thought, but less in the 3500-4500 range.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
You definitely have me looking at my logs differently now. Lol. I almost have it at a good place. The 1.8 is behaving differently than I thought and a little different than the 2.0. Where I'm getting my corrections are in the 4500-5100 range. I can actually make more boost from 5000 to 6,500 than I thought, but less in the 3500-4500 range.

I've noticed a can stay pretty flat on the boost as well. If anything I prefer this for a more linear pull and top end. If I'm racing or going fast, I'm usually above 4000rpm anyways

nathan16mk7R

You mean something like this?

Hey all, ever since I got the JB4 and started recording logs I was itching for a way to analyze them side by side and figure out how to make maximize power in map 6. I wrote up some macros in excel to import CSV logs and analyze them for some parameters George has mentioned we need to watch. It will show those parameters on the summary sheet and it will highlight things to look out for. You can import as many logs as you want and view them side by side. I also have explanations of each parameter and a quote from George about them.

I recommend making one workbook for each map 6 profile you get logs for. Right now you can't compare logs with different profiles. Just use the "import logs" button at the top left. You can also clear all the imported logs.

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. I am open to any and all suggestions. I just threw this together in a few hours. Let me know what you guys think!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35305025/JB4LogsSummary.xlsm

This is my first time using a public dropbox folder. Let me know if it doesn't work.

I've heard that these macros don't work work on a Mac. I have 0 experience with macs. If anyone has one and also knows VBA, feel free to play around with it and see if you can get it to work!

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Since Mac's don't use the same version Excel (just branded as it) there are a lot of things that won't work. I was just talking to a friend about macros on a Mac the other day actually lol. Even the 2016 version still has issues but I'll see if I can find a way to get them to run

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I've noticed a can stay pretty flat on the boost as well. If anything I prefer this for a more linear pull and top end. If I'm racing or going fast, I'm usually above 4000rpm anyways

Yeah. I'm going to turn my boost down in the midrange and just run it at 15 psi from 3,500-5,500. It holds it well. If I try to put it up higher, I get timing corrections from 4500-5000. It will take more at 3500-4000, but it doesn't do any good. In first it's wheelspin and any gear above that I'm already starting around 4200-4300 after the shift. That's why I tried to push it up a little at that rpm.

roclandsfinest23

Ready to race!
I don't have a Mac to test in currently, but maybe someone can try this to enable macros and let us know if it works:

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...ros-c2494c99-a637-4ce6-9b82-e02cbb85cb96#bmxl

Just tried that on my mac. Everything works except the "Import Log" coding.

I keep getting an error Compile error: User-defined type not defined” and it points me to this macro:

Sub selectCSV()
Dim dlgOpen As FileDialog
Dim sheetname As String

'prompt user to load CSV log
Set dlgOpen = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
With dlgOpen
.AllowMultiSelect = True
''Start in
.InitialFileName = "C:\docs\"
.Show
End With

'Load CSV into new worksheet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nathan16mk7R

Just tried that on my mac. Everything works except the "Import Log" coding.

I keep getting an error Compile error: User-defined type not defined” and it points me to this macro:

Sub selectCSV()
Dim dlgOpen As FileDialog
Dim sheetname As String

'prompt user to load CSV log
Set dlgOpen = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
With dlgOpen
.AllowMultiSelect = True
''Start in
.InitialFileName = "C:\docs\"
.Show
End With

'Load CSV into new worksheet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to leave that one to someone with a mac lol. I thought it might be because of C:\docs\ but it looks like it has a problem with the whole function.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya I was going to saw the C:\docs as well lol. It's been awhile since I've done any VBA but I'll see if I can remember anything useful :D