GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
What Diggs said. What gas are you running? Can you post a map 4 log?

I've uploaded your CSV file to datazap so it is easier to read. Click the link and look at the chart. Move your mouse pointer on the graph from left to right and look at the data.

Datazap- v-dug log

Your IAT intake air temps are the green line at the top. If you want to add boost with the JB, you need to do something about your IATs. Using better gas may help a bit. Upgrade your intercooler, etc.. Your timing advance will follow, it's low now with some pull.

I totally forgot to provide info on gas. 91oct is the highest octane gas available in this area, except for one station that carries 100. So I blend 91 + 100 at a mixture that puts me close to 93 or a little above actually (I err on the side of higher rather than lower). Maybe overkill.

I emailed George as well. He said the IAT is more or less the highest he's seen from the Middle East. That's crazy considering it wasn't very hot yesterday, only 103°. Last month was over 110° most days, over 115° on several occasions. But even this morning around 90° with slow traffic I was 140-150°. Is there anything I can do to insulate the air box that I can remove easily? I want to keep it stock for autocross.

tl;dr - I run 93+ and it's super hot in Phoenix!

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
I emailed George as well. He said the IAT is more or less the highest he's seen from the Middle East. That's crazy considering it wasn't very hot yesterday, only 103°. Last month was over 110° most days, over 115° on several occasions. But even this morning around 90° with slow traffic I was 140-150°. Is there anything I can do to insulate the air box that I can remove easily? I want to keep it stock for autocross.

tl;dr - I run 93+ and it's super hot in Phoenix!

Insulating the airbox or a CAI will have little to no effect. To lower your iat you need a intercooler or post turbo W/M setup. A stock location IC would never be noticed!

But yeah wow Phoenix is hot...Even South Florida isn't that extreme!

:)

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm not super keen on removing the nanny due to reasons you mentioned much earlier in this thread...

I did find out, however, that an APR Stg 1 RS7 that ran the dyno maybe 30 minutes before me put down severely lower numbers than expected as well:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Performance-on-100-octane-(no-104-oct-avail-)

Maybe it just reads 12-15% lower than everyone else? I'll have to find another dyno...

dynos are just a tool. dont get hung up on the numbers. how does the car actually run?

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
dynos are just a tool. dont get hung up on the numbers. how does the car actually run?

It runs smooth like stock, not peaky at all, but pulls pretty well. I don't have much to compare it to, as the Greater Seattle area is mostly full of pedestrian drivers. I've only had the opportunity to play around with some Civic SI's and one Golf R.

I will say that the R was only marginally faster, and reported that he was APR stg1.

I'm trying not to get hung up on numbers, but I also don't want to settle on sub-par performance.

vstypicals

Ready to race!
Car(s)
N/A
It is what it is. If you want to get the most out of the jb4 you have to somehow get it down to <125ish. Or lower the boost in the summer.

IATs reached 125+ after 5600rpm. I do have an intercooler waiting to be installed so hopefully that'll help bring them down to around ambient temps.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Killed the nanny per George's recommendations and tweaked a couple settings at high RPM. Ran some logs tonight; ~65 ambient. Curious as to thoughts on these, and if anyone else is running boost like this at high RPM on any other tunes.

http://www.datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/log-1503381315?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-21-25-26

I would put FOL at 70 if you can. If it throws lean code you need to turn it down after 5500. Target 19 at 6k and taper down from there. If you are using E85 you may need to dial it back some.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I would put FOL at 70 if you can. If it throws lean code you need to turn it down after 5500. Target 19 at 6k and taper down from there. If you are using E85 you may need to dial it back some.

I adjusted FOL to 65 per George and ran another log this morning. Ambient around 65-67, no CEL. I am running 2.5gal of E85, and had a small correction in there...

http://www.datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/absolute-rev-5-nanny?log=1&data=1-2-3-4-11-14-18-21-26

It feels so much faster 100-120 than before. I need to get another run to tap out at 115-120 so I can see the upper RPM timing advance, but that requires a lot of runway :rolleyes:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I adjusted FOL to 65 per George and ran another log this morning. Ambient around 65-67, no CEL. I am running 2.5gal of E85, and had a small correction in there...

http://www.datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/absolute-rev-5-nanny?log=1&data=1-2-3-4-11-14-18-21-26

It feels so much faster 100-120 than before. I need to get another run to tap out at 115-120 so I can see the upper RPM timing advance, but that requires a lot of runway :rolleyes:

Looks good. I'd check 3rd at 6k+ rpms just to make sure fuel needs are being met there too.

Perry01

Ready to race!
To answer all the questions:

Location is the PNW - Seattle area. Running an E30 blend.

Looking at the ECU psi vs Target, I must be bouncing off the nanny - it is only targeting +9, but the absolute map is set for 22 @ 5500, tapering 1psi per 500rpm from there. The target in the log is way lower.

I'm curious if this is why my dyno readings were low. Is the nanny preventing me from hitting target? Same thing is happening in the 3rd gear pull.

I think that dyno was reading low or needs to be calibrated. You should be at or near 300 WHP.

For comparison, here is a data log from a pull on a dyno in which I put down 303 WHP a 5600 RPM on 92 octane gas and JB4 plus IC and DP.

http://www.datazap.me/u/perry01/dyn...4-11-25-26-27-28&trim=0&tmin=29.03&tmax=84.07

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I think that dyno was reading low or needs to be calibrated. You should be at or near 300 WHP.

For comparison, here is a data log from a pull on a dyno in which I put down 303 WHP a 5600 RPM on 92 octane gas and JB4 plus IC and DP.

http://www.datazap.me/u/perry01/dyn...4-11-25-26-27-28&trim=0&tmin=29.03&tmax=84.07

Shit, what? At 5600rpm, I am running 2psi and 1.5 degrees of timing more than your log:
http://www.datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/absolute-rev-5-nanny?log=1&data=1-4-11&mark=52-63

I'm going to set up another dyno run with these new settings and provide the results here. Stay tuned for more....

Perry01

Ready to race!
Shit, what? At 5600rpm, I am running 2psi and 1.5 degrees of timing more than your log:
http://www.datazap.me/u/jybyrd4606/absolute-rev-5-nanny?log=1&data=1-4-11&mark=52-63

I'm going to set up another dyno run with these new settings and provide the results here. Stay tuned for more....

Yea, I had a lot of more room to go at that dyno session. Future logs produced 3 more PSI and 2 more degrees of timing advance at 5600 RPM after more map 6 tweaks. I was hoping for 320 HP and 370 TQ on my next dyno session but my son totaled the GTI four days prior to my dyno appointment.......

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Yea, I had a lot of more room to go at that dyno session. Future logs produced 3 more PSI and 2 more degrees of timing advance at 5600 RPM after more map 6 tweaks. I was hoping for 320 HP and 370 TQ on my next dyno session but my son totaled the GTI four days prior to my dyno appointment.......

I saw your post regarding the crash - so relieved that your son was OK, but sorry to hear the GTI was toast. It has been such a great platform for modding... keeps surprising me every day.