GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have your suspension blocks been removed ?

This topic should get sticky.
Any new Golf owner should check for shipping pucks even before leaving dealer's lot.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Glad I found this thread. I thought my mk7 sport's ride seemed a lot more harsh than an S that I test drove. Just went and checked...all 6 pucks were still in place.

Wow! Dealers are still forgetting to remove these? That's disgraceful!

Mountain

I didn't know this was an issue until this afternoon. I drove for 480 miles on them and couldn't quite figure out why the car rags all said the R had a great ride... The suspension knocking when going over bumps is what brought me to take the car in.

It's silky smooth now. Though, I'm a bit pissed ("perturbed" for you Brits) at the dealer I bought it from.

Is there a way to have this thread stickied to the top?

WilliamBMen

I think my car has a very stiff ride is that just because of the performance package? I also jacked up my car to see if the spacers were still there. Nothing that looks like that, at the bottom is a black almost plasticky if not metal sPacer that goes around the shaft and at the top is a pink rubber spacer that slides up and down.

lcubed

Ready to race!
I think my car has a very stiff ride is that just because of the performance package? I also jacked up my car to see if the spacers were still there. Nothing that looks like that, at the bottom is a black almost plasticky if not metal sPacer that goes around the shaft and at the top is a pink rubber spacer that slides up and down.

my strut pucks were pink ;)
I had my dealer take a picture with them sitting on top of my tire after removal.

kmac303

Had my GTI for 4 months now. The past week the front right had been making a weird clunking sound when hitting a bump (the suspension has always been super stiff). I made an appt with the dealer to go in tomorrow. Sure enough last night I hear some weird noise and something fall out of my wheel well. Pull over and find this broken piece of plastic. Quick google search lead me here. Looks like the dealer had never removed mine either :mad:

Gonna go bitch at the dealer tomorrow. My biggest concern I guess is that I've put 4500 miles on my car now. Could my suspension be completely fucked since I've driven so much with these on?

Attachments

• suspension block.jpg
    suspension block.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:

Provolone

Passed Driver's Ed
Had my GTI for 4 months now. The past week the front right had been making a weird clunking sound when hitting a bump (the suspension has always been super stiff). I made an appt with the dealer to go in tomorrow. Sure enough last night I hear some weird noise and something fall out of my wheel well. Pull over and find this broken piece of plastic. Quick google search lead me here. Looks like the dealer had never removed mine either :mad:

Gonna go bitch at the dealer tomorrow. My biggest concern I guess is that I've put 4500 miles on my car now. Could my suspension be completely fucked since I've driven so much with these on?

My dealer, or course, told me there is no issue driving with the pucks in place. Mine were only in for a few hundred miles though. With 4500 miles on them, I would be concerned.

smgti15

Passed Driver's Ed
So I just discovered that after I got VWR springs installed I was getting a clunking noise when going over bumps on the front driver side. I took it to a regular mechanic fearing with the springs installed I'd get warrantee issues with the car anyway at VW. He discovered a puck on each side that had not been removed. He interpreted this as a plastic strut stopper and thought that it might be best to replace with a rubber stopper....I suggested the possibility of these being the suspensions blocks and he said driving the car would be terrible with them still in. I feel I got away with for so long (20,000) because I only have one on either side instead of 3. What bullshit. I want to deal with vw...I bought my car as a CPO car and it still didn't have the stoppers removed. Do you guys think I have anything else to worry about. Clunking noise is gone for now, do I need any type of strut stoppers?

smgti15

Passed Driver's Ed
Also should I check the back for the same mistake?

smgti15

Passed Driver's Ed
My dealer, or course, told me there is no issue driving with the pucks in place. Mine were only in for a few hundred miles though. With 4500 miles on them, I would be concerned.

I had one puck left in each front and my car has 47,000 miles on it! I bought it CPO and only noticed the issue of the one puck once I put it on lowering springs. What bullshit, but to be honest their doesn't seem to be any issue with the suspension now.